Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > The Lounge > Entertainment Value

Entertainment Value Video Games, Movies, TV, Music or Thumb Twiddling, whatever fits you.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default Got a new LCD TV

Was sticking to my 10 year old style big TV but lately the color was going to pink like the picture tube was going. So today I bit the bullet and went to all the local big box stores and walked around writing down makes and models and the local salespeople didn't know what to make of a white guy just writing down info.

Went home and got online and in a couple hours of searching models got reviews on all of them and made my choice. A samsung 4000 series 32 inch LCD TV.

Went back to one store and pointed out the one I wanted and the salesguy said "weren't you here a while go writing down info" and I said "yep that was me now I'm buying this one". He started his sales pitch trying to move me up to a more expensive one but I said "this is the one with the best reviews".

Great in this computer age where you can get all the info you need in a short amount of time online where in the "old days" it would have taken weeks even if you could find the info you needed.

WOW is all I can say this thing has a great picture. Easy to set up too plugged it in, attached my cable connection, and changed the language to english screen prompts came up and in 5 minutes it was setup.

Went to HBO and movies look awesome.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:46 AM

sooznd is on a distinguished road

Congrats on taking the hdtv plunge--I bought my first LCD flat panel for my birthday back in 2009
I had always been a Sony fan for TV's since the first Sony I bought in 1984 was still working when I gave it away in 2009!
I had narrowed my choice to the Sony Bravia & the Samsung (both 32 inch size), since my living room is fairly small & I do not like an enormous tv overpowering the room.
I decided to go with the Samsung because it had much better specs & was on sale at my local Best Buy.
Plus the TV is gorgeous to look at as a piece of furniture-- much prettier than the Sony. I love how this tv takes up less space and is so much lighter, my old 27 inch crt tv must have weighed over 100 lbs!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Administrator

That is what I thought I have had good luck with sony products and thought this time it would be another sony and samsung was not even in my thinking.

But when I waded through the reviews and ratings MOST head to head ratings sony vs samsung I was surprised to see most of the time samsung got better ratings so I figured I would give them a try.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection what so ever with samsung and paid the same price as everybody else pays.

I'm watching it right now and going through the menu "tweaking" (I have to mod everything I own ) my settings and also found the samsung menu and selection much easier than my old sony.

You are correct my old style must weight the same very heavy I asked the kid at the check out center if someone could help me load the new one into my car and he said WHY? He told me to try and lift the new one and boy was I pleasantly surprised to see how light the new one is.

I'm also paying it forward just a bit and donating my old one to my father-in-law as it still looks better than the one he has now.

Last edited by claymore; 06-02-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Wow had it for over a month now and it's fantastic. I have been watching TV for about lets say 55 years and started with the old small round screen that broke tubes about every other week.

Saw my first color TV at my uncle's house way back about 1961 or so and watched the only two shows that were in color Bonanza and Walt Disney.

Didn't get my own color TV until I got married in 1968 and have had color TV's since then the BIG old models.

Then this year I was forced into getting a new LCD wide screen and all I can say is this thing is AWESOME.

We are still broadcasting in regular style on the majority of stations (to be all digital soon YEA RIGHT) but if you pay for cable or satellite some of them have a few digital channels and this week our provider added a few more and as part of their campaign to get more people to sign up we can watch some of the digital HD channels now for free.

All I can say is if anybody is holding out with an old style TV that is not digital HD and wide screen is CHANGE NOW.

This is THE BEST viewing experience I have ever seen with any other TV bar none it's absolutely beautiful even if you can't yet get digital HD even in regular mode it's still AWESOME.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Well this thing eats electricity while it's shut OFF. I noticed my electric bill was higher after getting the new TV but I waited awhile to see if it would continue.

It did so it must be the new TV. I would just shut it off with the remote but the red light was on and it would start right up.

So I installed a switch on the extension cord so I can turn it off completely and now the TV and set top box are completely shut down at night when I'm sleeping.

Well it works my bill when down about $10.00 a month not a lot but it's something for a fifty cent switch.

Now first thing in the morning I turn on the switch and the TV takes about 20 seconds to start up but the set top box takes maybe a minute to be on and have the Guide showing the programs.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Well this thing eats electricity while it's shut OFF. I noticed my electric bill was higher after getting the new TV but I waited awhile to see if it would continue.

It did so it must be the new TV. I would just shut it off with the remote but the red light was on and it would start right up.

So I installed a switch on the extension cord so I can turn it off completely and now the TV and set top box are completely shut down at night when I'm sleeping.

Well it works my bill when down about $10.00 a month not a lot but it's something for a fifty cent switch.

Now first thing in the morning I turn on the switch and the TV takes about 20 seconds to start up but the set top box takes maybe a minute to be on and have the Guide showing the programs.