Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Electrical

Electrical Electrical, Audio, Lighting, ECU, Code Trouble Shooting etc.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default An "Adventurous" Horn repair

As I wrote in the what did you do to your Fit/Jazz thread I had the problem of no horn.

So I went through the normal steps first the cheap horn button that comes with repop steering wheel kits. Nope horn button fine.

Then check the fuse.... nope fine... then see if the horn itself was still hooked up... nope all connected.

Finally the horn relay .....nope working fine power up to the relay and out but none to the steering wheel.

Quit for the day in frustration.

So today got right back at it and decided to see if there was power up to the brass contact under the steering wheel as I had checked the contact last time and the was no power.

So out with the tools and removed the steering wheel and the plastic covers over the column.

As I was looking around for the orange wire coming into the combo switch for the lights wipers etc. to see if there was power coming in I happened to glance down at the brass contact and presto there was the problem starting me in the face.

The brass contact that rubs on the backside of the steering wheel sticks up and the back end is formed and goes up and over the combo switch and then it connects to the power wire via a brass post that sticks up.

The contact is formed on that end into a "U" shaped channel that simply slides over the post sticking up.

Somehow after 42,000 km the contact end had slipped off that small post.

So a quick bend in the contact to make sure it stayed on and a pinch with some pliers to tighten up the "U" and back in business.

So if you find yourself with no horn check that little bugger FIRST.

It's real easy to check simply lower your steering column all the way down and pop off the plastic cover on the top of the steering column. It just pops apart from the bottom section if you pry GENTLY between the two sections no screws involved.

Then look at the top of the combo switch and located the 1/4 inch wide brass contact that is just a flat piece of brass. One end leads over to under the steering wheel and the other goes up and over the combo switch and leads to the small brass post. Just make sure the contact is slid over the top of that post.

Last edited by claymore; 02-16-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:50 AM

garfy2008 is on a distinguished road

I'm presuming that your steering wheel has no airbag inflator module in it. The horn contact you described sounds like "old school" horn contacts that were used extensively before airbags. None of the airbag equipped vehicles I've seen use a metal contact post rubbing against a brass ring on the back of the steering wheel; they all use a "clockspring" (cable reel) that's attached to a wire connector at the wheel which connects to the horn button(s) on the wheel.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Mine is NOT a USA model or air bag equipped.