Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > The Lounge > Entertainment Value

Entertainment Value Video Games, Movies, TV, Music or Thumb Twiddling, whatever fits you.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default Stupid rain

Here we have direct to house satellite TV with a small antenna mounted on the side of the house. Most of the year it works great BUT when it rains is cuts out. It's like having a private weather warning radar when the message pops up "Low signal" it means that a big storm is coming with in a few minutes. The worse part is at this time of the year we get rain about once a day.

Do you guys in the states have the same problem?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:35 AM

sooznd is on a distinguished road

We have the problem when it snows here--snow collects on the satellite dish & you lose signal. Fortunately my satellite dish is low enough that I can remove the snow with a broom. We do not get enough rain in Colorado to affect reception.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:28 AM

VillageIdiot is on a distinguished road

You would be surprised how much the weather in East Texas is like the weather in Southeast Asia.... Our satellite service goes out for hours and sometimes when watching local stations we are stuck with non stop coverage of tornado producing thunderstorms.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 AM
manxman

I have had satellite TV for the last 15 years or so. The weather-related problems with Cable TV around here are even worse. In bad weather, our idiot drivers skid out and crash into the phone poles that hold the cable. Phone pole goes down, and Cable TV goes out for weeks. I was grinning from ear to ear when I gave my cable TV box back to the cable system people and switched to Satellite. Now, the only problem is loss of electric power, which I solved by buying a generator and wiring the house with an outside plug for the 220 volt generator output, and a switch to keep from electrocuting the power utility guys who are repairing the wires while my generator is running the house.

The mountains where I live get the most rain year round. So far this season (which never seems to end), we have had over five feet of rain. Fortunately, loss of signal problems have been very few with our Satellite system this year.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:41 PM

VillageIdiot is on a distinguished road

We lost our signal for 30 minutes last night while watching the final episode of American Idol.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Yep that is the problem it cuts out right in the middle of something interesting not when some boring show is on.

Right now the rains are coming later at night so it's not too bad but gradually the rain time moves until it's right in the middle of the afternoon or early evening when the good shows are on.

But we beat that by having a TV upstairs that is only connected to a regular old antenna and doesn't get washed out. The bad news is it only gets local TV stations no cable for American shows.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Stupid rain still coming everyday and interrupting my TV watching. But it's only going to last about 5 more weeks then no more rain until next aug.

Here's one storm cloud approaching my house today. The tiny black dot on the bottom left of the clouds is a plane on approach to the main airport here...bet it was a bumpy ride.

Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (800x580).jpg
Views:	389
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	72 click to make bigger