Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > The Lounge > Entertainment Value

Entertainment Value Video Games, Movies, TV, Music or Thumb Twiddling, whatever fits you.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:06 AM
manxman

Default Great New HBO Series

"Boardwalk Empire"

This started last Sunday, but will have repeat broadcasts on various days/times. It stars one of my all time favorite character actors- Steve Buscemi (the skinny, frog eyed kidnapper in "Fargo" that was fed through the tree chipper).

Directed by Martin Scorcese with fantastic set accuracy, this is Atlantic City, NJ, in 1920 on the eve of Prohibition. Buscemi plays Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, the City Treasurer. Meaning, "king" who takes a part of every dollar generated by rum runners, speakeasys, and all organized crime. There are young versions of later to be famous gang members Lucky Luciano and Al Capone played by unknown actors who are very good in their roles.

This is great old-time gangster drama full of scumbags, psychos, Eliot Ness, and Thompson sub-machine guns, done with very realistic sets and period cars. The producers tried to get permits to film in Asbury Park (the New Jersey boardwalk tourist town) that has been closed for several decades, but modern-day "Nuckys" wanted too much money for the permits. So the producers built an entire period replica of 1920 Atlantic City (it cost less than the greedy politicians wanted for the permits).

This stuff really happened, there really was a "Nucky" Thompson, and the actors and writing bring it all to life. If you get HBO and can spare an hour a week, this is worth your time.

Last edited by manxman; 09-24-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Is this on regular HBO or one of the spin off premium HBO channels?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 PM
manxman

Regular HBO- the only "special" HBO channels offered by Dish Network are HBO Latino and HBO Family. This series would not be shown on a family channel. I get HBO in all time zones, so can watch or record two HBO events in different zones at the same time. There may be other "special" or premium HBO channels outside the U.S. (?).
Old 09-25-2010, 03:00 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

We are offered three different HBO channels. I don't bother with the pay extra ones so I'm not sure what other stuff they offer above the good old HBO ones.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Paul79UF is on a distinguished road

I can't wait for the new season of Boardwalk to start.

From the HBO site - "New Season Begins Sunday, September 25"

I'm also really looking forward to the 2nd (longer!) season of The Walking Dead.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 AM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul79UF View Post
I can't wait for the new season of Boardwalk to start.

From the HBO site - "New Season Begins Sunday, September 25"

I'm also really looking forward to the 2nd (longer!) season of The Walking Dead.
I agree with you on both series. You would think that George Romero's movies had just about wrung everything out of the "Zombie" genre, but the TV series is more realistic and less like a comic book than the movies.