Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Brakes & Suspension

Brakes & Suspension Discuss suspension tech here, springs, suspension, camber kits, bushings etc...

Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 AM

sooznd is on a distinguished road
Default Suspension ? from someone who knows nothing

Could someone explain why people lower their cars? Is there a practical purpose or is it for show and/or racing

thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

99% of the time it's for "looks". It could be of benefit during racing because it lowers the center of gravity.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 AM

thanks Claymore!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 PM

MannyaK is on a distinguished road

i personally am lowered about 2 inches on tanabe springs, i would prefer to be lower but thats the look i prefer some of the negative results are scraping but idk why i still like it
Old 04-14-2011, 03:08 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default ...I'll try to answer this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooznd View Post
Could someone explain why people lower their cars? Is there a practical purpose or is it for show and/or racing

thanks
sooznd, claymore's reply pretty much answers 2 parts of your question. I admit that I lowered my car for two of those reasons, looks and handling.
In my case, I was successful in achieving the lower look that I felt gave my Fit a more aggressive stance. I was also able to get the sportier handling that I was longing for. The stiffer, lower suspension does help make my Fit turn much quicker, and flatter.
On the negative side, negotiating steep driveways, and/or driving over parking lot speed bumps now requires a special driving skill...i.e. "driving very slowly!" At speed, encountering expansion joints, and/or pot holes will make you cringe. Straddling an empty soda, can or water bottle at freeway speeds, sometimes makes you wonder if your chassis just got hit by a "meteor," or a "hand grenade."
Is there a practical purpose? I guess that would depend on your point of view. Within one year, and for less than $1,750 in suspension mods, I felt that I had created a magnificently responsive, perfectly neutral handling car! On the other-hand, Mrs. macbuddy felt that I had systematically ruined a perfectly good little car!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbuddy View Post
sooznd, claymore's reply pretty much answers 2 parts of your question. I admit that I lowered my car for two of those reasons, looks and handling.
On the other-hand, Mrs. macbuddy felt that I had systematically ruined a perfectly good little car!

Thanks Macbuddy- I figured there had to be some performance & handling angle in there.
You can put me in Mrs. Macbuddy's camp

We have some speed bumps, plus railroad tracks that go through the middle of town as well as snow and I have a high driveway curb so would not work for me.