Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Brakes & Suspension

Brakes & Suspension Discuss suspension tech here, springs, suspension, camber kits, bushings etc...

Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 AM

der Mond is on a distinguished road
Default Please Advise: GD3 Strut/Shock R/R

The factory manual advises to use a spring compressor in the process of removing and replacing the front strut, whereas AllDataDIY.com describes a pretty simple and straightforward process of unbolting, removing and re-installing. I cannot find a strut removal thread; can anyone tell me which process to use or describe it in more detail?

Also, AllData recommends checking alignment after installation and the factory manual doesn't even mention it. Is it necessary? I'm just wanting to replace my OEM units with KYB's, no change in ride height
Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Disclaimer: This is written as a training session only and neither myself or HONDAFITFORUMS take ANY responsibility if someone should attempt anything without the proper tools and training.

You can use a floor jack to control the lowering of the "A" frame but I would wrap the strut in some rope attached through any holes in the inner fender well to help it from "springing out" on you just in case. Just take off the brackets for the brakes and other stuff then have jackstands holding up the body.

Warning: when doing the following allow the "A" frame to lower only enough to allow the removal of the strut assembly as lowering too much MAY cause your axle to SLIDE OUT OF THE DIFFERENTAL and they are a pain in the butt to put back in.

Put your jack under the "A"frame positioned squarely so it shouldn't slip one way or the other (remember the "A" frame pivots it doesn't come straight down) and remove the one nut holding the top of the strut on and BE PREPARED I had to dremel off those little buggers they were rusted solid.

http://www.hondafitforums.com/showthread.php?t=1742

While it's still attached I would break loose the large attaching bolts at the bottom but leave them in pace for now

Then SLOWLY lower the jack until the spring pressure is off. Then remove the bottom bolts and do whatever you have to do.

To switch over the springs you SHOULD use a spring compressor (liability you know).

Have all you parts and tools lined up and ready to go as you would be better off doing the following rapidly.

BUT some people have been known to wrap a few coils together with some bailing or other wire to hold it compressed BEFORE trying to remove the upper nut and checking that the wire isn't slipping as you loosen the top nut. IF and it's a big if the wire is holding continue to remove the nut until it's off.

THEN BEWARE AS YOU NOW HAVE A SPRING COMPRESSED READY TO BREAK THE WIRE AND SPRING OUT AND INJURE SOMEONE so the faster you can get it in place and the upper assembly at least partially together with the top nut in place the better.

Then just reverse everything.

I would get an alignment as the lower end of the strut is where any adjustments to the alignment is accomplished and there is PLAY in the mounting holes and you probably can't get it back in the same place especially if you are change struts.

Their are no "you now need an alignment directions" in the REPAIR MANUAL because it was written for experienced mechanics that would KNOW from experience and training that one was needed without being told unlike untrained people.

Last edited by claymore; 07-10-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM

der Mond is on a distinguished road

Thank you!
Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Hey us old guys have to stick together.