Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Interior

Interior Topic related to ineterior, care, updgrades etc fit it in here...

Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default My A/C stopped blowing cold air...

This weekend, my A/C stopped delivering cold air. I checked the fuses and relays, but nothing I did would get the A/C to blow cold air.
I took it to Honda today to get it looked at. As I had feared, the compressor died of "old age."
With the temperatures hovering around 100*F the past few weeks, I gave the service manager the okay to order a new unit. The quote for parts and installation was just under $1500...Yikes!
Oh well, my thought was I've had this Fit for about 7 years, and rarely go to their service department. So, $1500 / 7 = $215.29 per year for service and repairs, I guess I really shouldn't complain!
Other than this problem, and 2 coilpacks, my Fit has been very reliable, and fairly inexpensive to own.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

WOW since I have never paid to get anything done it should be expected but I'm stunned by that price HOLY MACKEREL.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Administrator

IF you haven't done it yet something to think about.

You have been working on your Fit and I think you could easily buy a new (or re-manufactured) compressor, belt and dryer and install them yourself and then take it to some place just to get the system recharged. Save yourself a bunch of money.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the thought, but I am not really comfortable about working on the A/C. I might do more damage than repair. Also, it looks like more work than I want to do. Even if I manage to get the compressor in, what if the system does not work correctly after it's been recharged? Where do I go from there?
I think I'll let the pros do this one.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Yea A/C can be intimidating but you have been doing so much good stuff I thought you might jump on it.

OR try an A/C repair place instead of a dealer most of the time they can be cheaper if you get a good one.

I'm just still shocked by that price quote some of my whole cars weren't worth that much back in the "Old days"
Old 07-19-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post

I'm just still shocked by that price quote some of my whole cars weren't worth that much back in the "Old days"
Now that you put it that way, yeah that's exactly what I paid for my first car, a 1965 MG Midget. Although it only put out 59HP, its performance nearly matched our GD3s.

What was your fastest car?
My first car was this 1965 MG Midget, 59 hp 4-MT. Then came the 1972 Dodge Colt, 100 hp 4MT, next a 1979 Dodge Colt, 80 hp 8MT, then a 1980 VW Vanagon, 67 hp 4MT and then a 1986 VW Vanagon, 95 hp 4MT.
I am happy to report that my 2007 Honda Fit, 109 hp 5AT will out accelerate, out handle, and out brake any of them.
"Now you will know why I can honestly say that my GD3 is the fastest car I have ever owned!"

Last edited by macbuddy; 07-19-2013 at 06:04 AM.