Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > The Lounge > Entertainment Value

Entertainment Value Video Games, Movies, TV, Music or Thumb Twiddling, whatever fits you.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Good to see this thread I read all the time. All the authors mentioned by everybody are GREAT and I have read most of them. Just started on the new hero Texas ranger/attorney in James Lee Burke and I like him better that the new orleans Cop for some reason. Still like the new orleans one but this new guy is better. Hard to say who I like best everytime somebody mentions a new name it's like O yea he's very good.

I actually spent a little time with and read a few of Richard Marcinko's books and they are ok. But he is a FREAK completely wacko and a convicted felon for stealing equipment/money while he was with devgroup. I actually was there to see the local new london NCIS and squids get massacred by the red team on a base insertion drill at the sub pens in New London.

The real NCIS is NOTHING like the TV show.... O NO now we need a TV show thread.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 AM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
Good to see this thread I read all the time. All the authors mentioned by everybody are GREAT and I have read most of them. Just started on the new hero Texas ranger/attorney in James Lee Burke and I like him better that the new orleans Cop for some reason. Still like the new orleans one but this new guy is better. Hard to say who I like best everytime somebody mentions a new name it's like O yea he's very good.

I actually spent a little time with and read a few of Richard Marcinko's books and they are ok. But he is a FREAK completely wacko and a convicted felon for stealing equipment/money while he was with devgroup. I actually was there to see the local new london NCIS and squids get massacred by the red team on a base insertion drill at the sub pens in New London.

The real NCIS is NOTHING like the TV show.... O NO now we need a TV show thread.
OK John, NOW you've done it. I like the original Mark Harmon NCIS, but the new one with the L.A. location bores me. But to discuss TV shows, then we have to separate weekly series from the premium channel limited series, like:

Deadwood- All Old West fans should have this three season disc collection.
Carnivale- All "creepy story" fans should have this three season disc colletion- the most unusual and unusually GOOD weird good vs. evil set in the '30s dustbowl plains- a haunted traveling carnival.
Rome- GREAT historical fiction- Rome in the time of Julius Ceasar.
The Tudors- three seasons in the can, another on the way.
True Blood- two seasons have run, another coming a a few months.

And yeah, Marcinko does not seem like someone you would want as your neighbor, but was probably damned effective in his work while in the military.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 AM

Norg is on a distinguished road

TV shows, I can't wait to see Archer tonight on FX
Old 01-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Another good author is Brian Haig the son of former chief of staff "I'm in charge here" Al Haig. there are maybe 4-5 books about a military lawyer who is really a black team type operator and gets sent in on Hard Cases. If you like the other authors with a military format you would like his stuff.

Another great series is the Ricker series by Lee Child. former military police major now a civilian that takes on peoples cases. a smatass kind of guy but good action stuff
Old 01-15-2010, 10:54 AM

EXWRX is on a distinguished road

James Cobb did a couple books that I've read, on a stealth destroyer. It was a fun read. Sadly the reviews from the military on the actual product were nothing like the book played out.
I enjoy all of the Jack Ryan Clancy novels, but my absolute favorite is Without Remorse, the back story of John Clark. It focuses on one character almost totally, unlike the rest of his novels.
Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series is an interesting, and well developed world that I enjoy visiting. Strange mind powers, a interesting not very technological society, that has developed a very different culture than Earth did.
Larry Niven's Known Space books are also very interesting. Ringworld, Man-Kzin Wars, and a bunch of his short story collections make it a well developed universe with lots of great characters, interesting alien races, and thoughts on possible future developments.
As far as TV shows go, I mostly watch shows from Britain. Top Gear is a favorite. 3 guys, all crazy in their own way, that all love cars. If you haven't seen it, search youtube for their test of the Ford Fiesta, or Ariel Atom. I also am really enjoying the new run of Doctor Who.
I really enjoyed Battlestar Galactica's new run, and Firefly is my all time favorite series, but I don't watch anything else on American TV. I got out of the habit when I was working retail and had an irregular schedule. I discovered that I didn't really miss sitting in front of the idiot box for hours each week.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 AM
manxman

Did you happen to see any of the "Torchwood" (BBC) 3-season run? The lead character, Capt. Jack Harkness, is an occasional character on Dr. Who. The series was shot in, and featured, urban locales in Wales, and concerned a secret British government watch-dog agency that worked to protect Earth from alien invaders who have been here for centuries.

And see, Jeff? You can't help but mix mediums in your posts between threads on this forum.

Last edited by manxman; 01-15-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:54 AM

EXWRX is on a distinguished road

I never got into Torchwood, though Captain Jack Harkness is a great character. Mostly because 3 shows are all I really allow myself to get into. and at the time, I had BSG, Dr. Who and Top Gear.
I agree about the mixed mediums. I just didn't feel that a title that talked about 1 TV show was the right place to totally go off on books. :P
Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Administrator

I agree on the Mr. Clark story was the most interesting all are good but that was the best and the book is even better. BTW some of the people here if they are in the know call me Mr. Clark instead of claymore ....can't imagine why
Old 01-16-2010, 12:43 PM
manxman

For years I have always suspected that you were a "Mr. Clark" type. I never asked because it's none of my business, and if true, you aren't likely to say: "Why yes, I am a semi-retired, ex-spook, but still lend a hand whenever I am asked for help. I live in one of the "hot spots" and keep an eye on things". One of the best movie "Mr. Clarks" was played by Willem Dafoe.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:31 PM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXWRX View Post
I never got into Torchwood, though Captain Jack Harkness is a great character. Mostly because 3 shows are all I really allow myself to get into. and at the time, I had BSG, Dr. Who and Top Gear.
I agree about the mixed mediums. I just didn't feel that a title that talked about 1 TV show was the right place to totally go off on books. :P
I admire your ability to ignore TV. I don't have that ability. TV has become so good with the advent of premium channels, delivered by cable and satellite, that I almost never go to theaters to see movies anymore. Within a month of a new release leaving theaters, it is on various "Pay Per View" channels, and weeks later it is now free on HBO, Stars, Cinemax, etc.

After getting irate at the rip-off rates of our local cable supplier eight years ago, I had a Dish Network system installed, with two DVR boxes that can hold 120 hours of recorded programs each. I just log in all of the movies and shows that I want to see, and if I am busy with "real life" tasks, I spend the weekend catching up on dozens of movies and shows that recorded automatically, fast forwarding through every, single, commercial.

After growing up with only black & white small screen TV's, and maybe 5 network channels in the L.A. basin acquired from a roof-top antenna, TV now has a wealth of absolutely great quality entertainment. I still get everything done that I need to do, and yet eventually have time to see every one of the programs that I listed in the previous post.

If you ever see a boxed set of the "Torchwood" series, and can afford whatever it costs, I suggest that you buy it- it's right up your alley. If you buy it and hate it, I will buy it from you (that is, unless I find it and buy it first- then I'll lend it to you).

EDIT- Wow! I just looked up the prices on Amazon. Neither one of us will have that much cash to spare for a while. They don't even show all 3 seasons in a boxed set. Wait a year or so. Season 1- $60.00 now- will be half that or less..

Last edited by manxman; 01-16-2010 at 04:34 PM.