Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > The Lounge > Entertainment Value

Entertainment Value Video Games, Movies, TV, Music or Thumb Twiddling, whatever fits you.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 AM

EXWRX is on a distinguished road

Basically, I stopped watching when I was working retail and my schedule was very irregular. This was before Tivo/DVR, and programming the VCR each week was more trouble than I was willing to go through to get my TV fix. I discovered that I didn't miss it all that much, although my coworkers think I'm a bit wierd for not being able to talk with them about whatever happened on whatever reality show (*gag*) they're watching.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 PM
manxman

Agreed on reality shows. GAGG!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Jeeze I can't imagine life without TV. But I normally watch the discovery channel, animal planet, and news programming but I do have to admit a fondness for survivor.

But it balances out because at night I'm usually reading a book at the same time.

While I was a cop I had to develop the skill of doing two things at once like listening to the cop radio and the music radio at the same time. First timers in the cop car always said something like "how can you stand it with two different radios". But after awhile you learn to just filter out the cop radio until the message is important or directed at you and your mind automatically tunes in.

Last edited by claymore; 01-20-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Reading one of James Lee Burkes books "last car to elysian fields" it's another in the series of Dave Robicheaux adventures and he is talking about his wife being burned up in a fire at their house. Anyone know which book the fire episode was in??
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 AM
manxman

I have read most of the Dave Robicheaux stories, and some of my later books make reference to the death of "Bootsie", but I have not found the book with the actual event yet. Burke comes up with some very interesting names, like the Detective's adopted daughter "Alafair", and "Tripod", her three legged raccoon.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:35 PM
manxman

Don't miss "In The Electric Mist With Confederate Dead", or "The Tin Roof Blow-Down" (post-Katrina New Orleans), and for sure, don't miss any of his Montana-located stories where the main character is an ex-Texas Ranger who accidentally shot his partner to death, quit the force, got a law degree, and now solves crimes in Montana (where Burke now actually lives). One of these is "Heartwood".

James Lee Burke is my favorite crime story author.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:48 PM
manxman

Talking George R. R. Martin, "A Song Of Fire And Ice", 4-book series

If you like fantasy-genre books where the author creates an entirely new and different world with great characters, this is for you. For more story details, see "The TV Show Thread". The first book of this series "A Game Of Thrones", will be a new series on HBO coming this spring, and should be absolutely fantastic.

I found a boxed set of the whole series, new condition, on Ebay and bought the set today. I will give my copy of the first book to a friend. If you try to buy the individual books on-line, they run in the range of $10.00 to $14.00 each if new paperback. A first edition hard bound copy of "A Game Of Thrones" sells on Ebay for $300.00. The four-book set that I just bought on Ebay ran $33.99 with free shipping.

If you are a dedicated reader and want to get sucked into a book, get this series. You must read them in order- they are too complex to skip around.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:05 AM

EXWRX is on a distinguished road

I really enjoyed the Song of Fire and Ice, but the characters that I really enjoyed didn't do nearly as well as I was rooting for them to do. It is a beautifully written series with fairly complex characters and an interesting mythology.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 AM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXWRX View Post
I really enjoyed the Song of Fire and Ice, but the characters that I really enjoyed didn't do nearly as well as I was rooting for them to do. It is a beautifully written series with fairly complex characters and an interesting mythology.
I'm not surprised that you have read this Jeff. I hope that we can attract others to these books. Maybe after the HBO TV series comes on, others will be interested to see what the show doesn't have time to tell.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Well Dave thinks we have been slacking off on book reviews so here we go. I read every day for about 2 hours a night so I go through A LOT of books. So many books I am a platinum member of our local second hand book store. I usually go once a month and turn in and pick up about 14 books so the owner always has a giant smile when I come in.

I thought if I posted a lot of books it would be too much but I will give it a shot to see how it goes.

The latest good book that I am reading now is the first book of this author I have read and for sure I will be looking for more by ROBERT CRAIS. Looks like he writes a lot of crime type stories and the one I am reading now and really like is "The two minute rule".

It's about a guy that goes to jail for robbing a bank and gets out to find his long lost son was a LAPD police officer who has just been shot and killed. He goes looking for the killer with the help ,get this, of the lady FBI agent that arrested him at the bank robbery.

As weird as it sounds the author really makes it sound believable.