Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > The Lounge > Entertainment Value

Entertainment Value Video Games, Movies, TV, Music or Thumb Twiddling, whatever fits you.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Just saw the episode on "My name is Earl" where Randy had a girlfriend way back when he was a kid and naturally Earl scared her off. Randy has been dreaming of her for his whole life and it turns out to be Joy. Crazy stuff
Old 05-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Not sure which place to put this one as it's a TV show and a movie.

"The Pacific" I'm conflicted by this one. If I hadn't read Tom Hanks skanky comments that "we are all racists and were just killing japs because they were different than us" it would sit better as this was my fathers experience he lived this shit.

But watching it now it becomes very obvious Hanks and Spielbergs intention to make Marines out as racist indiscriminate killers. Their focus on the actions of the weirdo less desirable depictions of Marines is despicable.

The production makes use of all the latest technology but they make it very plain to see many many purposeful mistakes in military conduct and equipment to fulfill their left wing agenda.

There has been an explosion on military forum boards tasking them to task for this travesty. I happened to have met Dale Dye the military adviser for this production several times back at the beginning of my "contractor" days as we ran in the same circles so I sent him an email and he responded.

On the boards he tried to say that he did the best he could with what he had but had to fight with hanks and spielberg to get it as close to the truth as possible but they fought him and of course they won.

If you are interested in military history look up some military boards and there is a section on The Pacific on most of them and NONE are in favor of this series.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:15 AM
manxman

Well, I didn't expect "the plain truth" from Hollywood. In this miniseries, they succeeded in making the war in the Pacific the meat grinder that it was. Peleilu did appear to be hell on earth. But for story telling of real events, Hanks and Speilberg's previous miniseries about the European Theater, "Band of Brothers" was much, much better.

I believe the comment "we were all racists" to be true. To be capable of killing other human beings day after day, year after year, and still consider yourself to be human, most of the warriors on all sides had to consider the enemy to be sub-human monsters. The propaganda machines of all governments in the war were used to that effect. Look at any of the war posters that were displayed everywhere in the U.S. and see how Japanese and Germans were depicted. Then look at similar posters that were used in those countries depicting Americans and British forces. Same exact distortions.

My dad didn't have to see his own work up close. As the pilot of a B-17, he dropped death and destruction on total strangers every day. The propaganda used on bomber and fighter pilots was a lot trickier. They were shown photos and films of the atrocity victims of the ground fighting. They still had to consider their targets to be monsters in order to complete their missions. If they had a successful bombing run and didn't get shot down, they killed thousands of people and destroyed entire cities in five minutes of work.

Trying to turn true, documented WWII events into entertainment without distortion is an impossibility. There is nothing entertaining about wholesale murder on a world wide scale. The liberal politics of the producers of "The Pacific" come through loud and clear in this series, but they succeeded in showing some of the horror of war, and some of the true heroism of the participants.

Speilberg and Hanks couldn't put any more truth into this series and still have any sponsors, or TV viewers, to pay the bills and generate profit. This was not advertised as a documentary.

P.s.

The sheer hell that all of the Marines fighting in the Pacific theater had to endure, for year after year as depicted in this miniseries, gives you a pretty good idea of what causes PTSD, and gave returning war Vets nightmares for decades afterward. My dad was a German POW for the last six months of the war. Many of his fellow prisoners had been there for YEARS. When they were liberated by the Russians, the U.S. Gov't. offered no psychological treatment for PTSD. What they did was to force all liberated pilots to tour Auschwitz, Buchenwald, Treblinka, and other concentration camps to see the piles of human bones, gas chambers, ovens, etc.

The unspoken warning was: "Don't even think of complaining about how bad your conditions were. Just look at what these poor bastards had to live with!".

Last edited by manxman; 05-12-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Administrator

I started watching "The Colony' thinking it was going to be another funky "lost" show but it turns out to be a pretty interesting situation. I enjoy them coming up with all improvised stuff to make life easier. I think I would be the cranky old mechanic type guy that is always fixing stuff or making stuff out of old parts in this kind of situation.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:39 PM
manxman

I have not heard about that show. Is this brand new or old, and produced in the U.S. or foreign (like BBC) ??
Old 05-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Administrator

It's here on discovery channel and made in the USA for sure. They are trapped in a giant warehouse loaded with "Stuff" and it's like after a nuke blast or something. They go out once in awhile to get water from a local river. They get hassled by some bikers and food stolen etc and they have to cope.

Limited gasoline and they hook up a cars generator to charge batteries to an old lawnmower type engine and since they don't have enough fuel they do like the people in WWII did and converted the engine to run on fumes from burning wood. they make a radio to broadcast and a receiver to see if anybody is out there.

To purify water they make an ozone generator which is pretty neat.

It's kind of like survivor but nobody gets voted out.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:03 PM

jd636 is on a distinguished road

Past

24 - watched every episode from the pilot to the finale

Current

Criminal minds
Warehouse 13
Eureka
Sanctuary
NCIS
NCIS Los Angeles
Ghost Whisperer
Top Gear

Last edited by jd636; 07-01-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:51 PM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd636 View Post
Past

24 - whached every episode from the pilot to the finale

Current

Criminal minds
Warehouse 13
Eureka
Sanctuary
NCIS
NCIS Los Angeles
Ghost Whisperer
Top Gear
One day, I will post a LOOOONNNGGG list of my favorite shows. I have two satellite DVRs and never miss anything out of 50 shows or more, though sometimes it takes months to catch up on some things. I hate it that "24" is gone (wait for the movie that is in production!). It's GREAT that Eureka and Warehouse 13 are coming back to SciFi. BTW, for fans of ShowTime's Dexter series, Micheal C. Hall (Dexter), and Jennifer Carpenter (Debra, Dexter's sister in the show) are actually married in real life.

Last edited by manxman; 07-01-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:28 PM

sooznd is on a distinguished road
Default recent & past favorites

Some Favorites-

Six Feet Under (this is my favorite of all TV series)
Dexter
Fringe--several excellent episodes
V (1980's mini-series) --just bough these on amazon a couple months ago--love it!
the new V series - Anna is great---so reptilean
The 4400 (I hate that this ended w/o resolution)
Jericho
Medium--great acting
Rescue Me
Damages
X Files
Star Trek the Next Generation (imo- the best of all the Star Trek series)

Comedy

The Office (always funny!)
Seinfeld
Everybody Loves Raymond
New Adventures of Old Christine

I don't get any premium channels--so get to see the HBO or Showtime series via Netflix (often years later...ha!)

I enjoy Sci Fi & thriller shows--never got into Lost or Heroes, though.

Last edited by sooznd; 07-01-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Started watching a new one here called "Justified" on AXN. Great show about a Deputy US Marshall that shoots everybody part serious part comedic but great fun.