Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > The Lounge > Entertainment Value

Entertainment Value Video Games, Movies, TV, Music or Thumb Twiddling, whatever fits you.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

How about an oldie "The fighting Seabees" or I know it's dated when you watch it now but for it's time "The Green Berets" was real good. Real oldie "The raid on Makin Island" based on the true story of WWII Marine Raiders who get nearly wiped out on a mission in the island campaign.

"The man who would be King" is a great classic. I have watched it several times and always enjoy the scenery because it's where I was when I was there.

Last edited by claymore; 01-27-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Remembered another "Flight of the intruder" about the incongruity of the ROE in Vietnam.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM

EXWRX is on a distinguished road

I just saw Inglorius Basterds over the weekend. I don't think it's one of the all time greats, but it was great fun.

Definitely less macho than most of the rest on this list, but The Princess Bride is a movie I can watch repeatedly and never get sick of.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM

I didn't remember all their names. I cheated and went to IMDB.com, but yes I can quote large portions of that movie, and a couple others (Monty Python, and Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy). I have my areas of being a true nut case.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:06 PM

I've seen both of those. Fish Called Wanda is another favorite. Jamie Lee Curtis(yummmm) Fierce Creatures was good, but not nearly as good.

In cheesy, hilarious quasi horror films, I haven't found anything to compare to Army of Darkness. Lots of horrible lines that are hilarious on so many levels, and oh so quotable.

Napoleon Dynamite was a silly movie about nothing in particular, and has a lot of great quotes. This is one of those movies that people either love or hate. I'm in the first camp. When watching, you must be in a silly mood, otherwise you'll probably be one of the haters.

Shadows of the Vampire is a movie about the making of Nosferatu.(one of the first horror movies ever) The original blatantly ripped off Dracula, just changing the names, but the vampire was very creepy, and by far the best part of the movie.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 PM

I first heard about Ed Gein from my mom, who grew up in Wisconsin. I never saw the movie. I might look for it.

I saw one of the chainsaw massacre movies. It was pretty funny, in a sick, disturbing way.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Going back to the military ones how about Clint Eastwood in "Heartbreak Ridge". It was good because it showed some of what Marine Recon is about and there are very few movies that show them.

"The sniper" series is pretty good.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Administrator

I forget if we mentioned it or not but who can forget one of the classics "Cool Hand Luke" Watching it as I write this. Great movie must have watched it 10-15 times over the years.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Na it's about the invasion of Grenada. Clint does a great job of playing the gunny that has to whip a bunch of misbehaving recon Marines into shape.

Funny we have a Hogsbreath saloon here but I don't think Clint's features bikini clad dancers in his like ours does.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:02 PM

I saw Shutter Island last night. It was a fun, freaky, disturbing movie that messed with your mind and perceptions at every turn.