Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > General Forums > Fit for Racing!

Fit for Racing! Autocross, Drift, Drag, Togue etc

Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default AutoX/Fit Meet?

Anyone interested in giving their Fit a go at Autox? Bap, mrFroge, Ciburri, EXWRX and I (macbuddy), did this last year, and it was a blast. We weren't the fastest cars out there, but we all had a lot of fun trying!
July 18th AutoX at San Joaquin Fairgrounds...
This year's venue will either be at Mather AFB (Sacto), or at the San Joaquin Fairgrounds (Stockton), depending on the choosen date. Refer to the Sacramento SCCA events calendar for scheduled AutoX dates, and info.
Bap and I are going to go regardless. If you wanna come, just let us know.
Try it, you'll like it!
-macbuddy-

Last edited by macbuddy; 03-17-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 AM

EXWRX is on a distinguished road

I know I won't be competitive in any class that my mods would put me, but it did look like fun when I went. Are you going to try to run the full seaon, or just a few selected races?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM

Bap is on a distinguished road

I am just going to have fun and go to a few races to see what i have done to the car will make a diffrence or if my driving will get any better.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a fun day. So what if you go slow your first time you are there with some friends and having fun with your FIT. It's a good way to have fun driving and it's not as hard on your car as some other forms of having fun with your Fit wish I could join you guys.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:04 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default I run for the pure joy of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXWRX View Post
I know I won't be competitive in any class that my mods would put me, but it did look like fun when I went. Are you going to try to run the full seaon, or just a few selected races?
Like Bap, you won't find me running the whole season either. I'll catch maybe 3-4 events this year if I'm lucky. I only run for the pure joy of doing so! Besides, I don't have the dedication, or the funds to run a whole season. In 2008, I co-drove with mrFroge (aka Rich Bangle). Beside being a "crazy fast" driver, Rich is able to read the cones "on the fly." By the time I am able to figure out the course layout, my 3 runs have already expired!
As for cost, in 2008 alone, mrFroge's little Fit chewed up 2 complete sets of racing rubber! That gets costly when you figure those tires go for about $150 a piece! Entry fees may only be $35 per event, but that adds up when you need to attend upwards of 16 events! Since Championships are determined by points, missing a few events can cost you the crown. FYI, Rich took the H Stock Championship in 2007 and 2008. He could have made it 3 in a row, but chose instead to attend several family functions (i.e. weddings, Graduations, etc.).
As for me, my choice of mods have bumped me out of H Stock. I am forced to run in a much higher class, making me even less competitive. My mods put me up against modified 240SXs, Miatas, Si Civics, Mazda3s, etc. My 109 hp just won't let me keep up with those other guys. Yeah, my Fit holds it's own on short, tight courses, but if any of those courses include anything that even resembles a "straight away," my Fit is "toast!"
Hey, I don't expect to set any records. Heck, I just have a great time being part of the event! For me, there is nothing more exhilarating than to watch, hear and smell all that high revving chaos out there.
If at the end of the day, I find that I out ran an old BMW, Porsche, or anything, I am one happy "AutoX Racer!"
Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 AM

Bap is on a distinguished road

Well said
Old 03-18-2010, 12:47 PM

MrFroge is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbuddy View Post
FYI, Rich took the H Stock Championship in 2007 and 2008. He could have made it 3 in a row, but chose instead to attend several family functions (i.e. weddings, Graduations, etc.). I am one happy "AutoX Racer!"
I had a great time in 2009 despite not being able to run enough events to qualify for a championship in local competition. I did enter the three SCCA Northern-Pacific Regional Championship events and managed to finish 1st at the San Fransisco Regional driving a Mazda 3 Touring; then 6th at the Packwood Washington event with a different Mazda 3; and cinched the H-Stock Nor-Pack Regional Championship with a 2nd place finish at Helena Montana driving "Baby Froge' " (my Fit) to 2nd place.

I think some of my most memorable autox has been the co-diving that Macbuddy and I did..

"It isn't always possible to be the best, but it is possible to improve your own performance." - Jackie Stewart

It looks like the Fit may be allowed to compete in SPG (Street Prepared-2.0 L or less, normal aspired) either this year or next. This would make most all street modes, except for a turbo, OK for competition. I'll be headed for that if it does come about.

Come out and run H-Stock class for "Fun".. and see the difference between your mods and "stock".
Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Fit looks good with those racing stickers do they pay contingency money? Looks a little nose down are you running a rear swaybar?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 AM
manxman

He can't use a RSB in Stock class since the car didn't come with one from the factory. He replaced the stock front sway bar with the stiffer one from Battle Endless in Canada, and runs air shocks in the rear with fairly high air pressure. At least, that was Rich's status when I met him in '08 at a Fit meet/lunch. Macbuddy hasn't mentioned any other changes in Rich's car other than tires.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:36 AM

EXWRX is on a distinguished road

I think he's now using the T1r adjustable shocks/struts.