Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Electrical

Electrical Electrical, Audio, Lighting, ECU, Code Trouble Shooting etc.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default BLITZ is back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
Whoa that sucks. Any possibility of the connections getting dirty or corroded? Anybody else having problems?
Well, I had some spare time this weekend and re-installed the BLITZ throttle controller unit. This time however, I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner onto the connections before hooking the leads back to the blackbox. I know it's only been a couple of days, but the BLITZ seems to be working again. I've tested it on over a hundred miles of backroads, and no problems, just smiles!
For the record, I had been driving for the past 5 months without the TC. During that time, I had also been running with a new coilpack. Ever since replacing the bad coilpack, I have had no problems nor thrown any codes.
Now that the coilpack question has been eliminated, I am looking back, and thinking that the "thrown code" may have been due more to that weak coilpack, and perhaps less to the BLITZ TC.
Hopefully my Fit will no longer throw the same P2138 code ("Accelerator Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance" code). Hopefully Claymore was right in that the problem was due to dirty contacts, and/or bad connections.
Anyway, just thought I'd update this thread to perhaps ease the minds of those that also have the same BLITZ TC problem, or any brand TC problem. If you do, check your connections!

It was fun to re-experience the more responsive throttle again! Maybe my 120 mile test run was too much fun. My Scangauge normally shows me a 34-36 mpg reading...however, with the BLITZ set on SP3, I was seeing 28 mpg* by the time I got back home!
-macbuddy-

*(FYI, yesterday I drove more "sanely" and was still able to achieve 36+mpg with the BLITZ set on SP3).

Last edited by macbuddy; 09-21-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Try not to have TOO much fun testing it out.......... well maybe for one tank then you can get back to normal driving and check your mileage on the next tank
Old 10-08-2010, 03:31 AM

Default BLITZ threw a CEL again!

Okay, ever since re-installing my BLITZ TC, it's performance and reliability had been declining day by day. Finally last Sunday, it threw a CEL again. A quick glance at the Scangauge showed that the same P2138 code had been thrown. This time, I narrowed the problem down to the Control/Display module.

I found that every time I touched this Display unit, the TC would short out.
I tried contacting the group-buy organizer, Mike, to see if he could help me either get it repaired, or replaced. I have yet to hear back from him. The BLITZ TC owner's manual was no help, it did not list any contact information what-so-ever. I scoured the Internet for any address, e-mail, or phone number, to get in contact with an Official BLITZ representative. After an unsuccessful evening on the Internet, I gave up. I was unable to find any promising leads.
With no other options, I decided to go ahead and break open the back of the Display module to see if I could repair it myself. A very firm squeeze on the plastic case was just enough to release the 4 retaining tabs, and the rectangular black case split in two. Inside, I found a very small circuit board covered with several tiny electronic components, an LED display, 3 switches, and a small wiring harness connector. Using 3.5X stereo magnification, I was able to see the problem. Two of the 8 pins of the wiring harness connector had hairline cracks in the soldering.
Using my smallest tipped soldering iron, I was lucky enough to re-solder the connections, without frying anything else on the circuit board.
The good news is that for the past 5 days, it appears to be working like it did when I first got it. I hope this is the last time I have to update this thread.
-macbuddy-
*Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. I didn't think about it until after I had already rerouted all the cables, mounted the Display unit, and was convinced that I had the TC up and running again. I know it is probably hard to visualize what I just described, but I wasn't about to tear it all apart again just for a photoshoot.

Last edited by macbuddy; 10-02-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: add image...add image to replace first image
Old 10-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Good work on finding the problem. They should be paying you for the solution.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Default ...What? Another Updaate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbuddy
I hope this is the last time I have to update this thread.
Dang it! I got the "UP" and "POWER" buttons transposed! I didn't notice this until this afternoon. Anyway, I couldn't stand leaving them that way. Tonight I had to break it open again. This time, I remembered to take some pictures.

The transposed buttons

What's inside the box

Underneath is the tiny "Wiring Harness Connector"

Imagine trying to solder these pins!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 AM
manxman

Throw it awaaaayyyyy!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator

I love it a man that takes pride in his work. That is some great soldiering you preformed there not too many people around that could get that done.

So what's the scoop you use a magnifier and what kind of iron was used.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:11 AM

Default Answers to your post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
So what's the scoop you use a magnifier and what kind of iron was used.
Hey John, like I said, I was lucky not to damage the rest of the components. One problem I had was trying to hold the iron steady enough, so as not to "bridge" the solder across 2 adjacent pins. The iron I used was s Butane-Powered, Wall Lenk Cordless Soldering Iron that I picked up at Sears
Another problem I had, was in using the 3.5X magnification. When peering through my Optivisor, the magnification made the tip of the soldering iron appear "humongous." I felt like I was trying to mend the broken contacts with a soldering iron that had a tip the size of a bowling ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxman
Throw it awaaaayyyyy!
Geez Dave, why would I throw away a $350 toy that still works? I still enjoy like using it! In SP3 mode, it makes the Fit so responsive, while still returning mpg figures in the 34-36 mpg range.

Last edited by macbuddy; 10-13-2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:12 AM
manxman

Why would you throw it away? Because when it fails on the road, it puts you and your passengers in danger. Because there is no support from the manufacturer or its marketers for defective units. Because the ETC controller from Panson Pan works so much better and costs so much less.

Since I was the person who encouraged you to join the group buy on that other forum to buy this thing four years ago, I feel very badly. I also feel badly that I sold my Blitz T/C to Slimjimx701x.

If I still had a Blitz unit and was aware of your problems with it, I would throw it away. Overpriced, faulty, and dangerous products really piss me off and I won't keep using them once I find out that they are junk. Under many circumstances, your junk can kill you on the road. I regret being responsible for wasting your cost in buying the Blitz, and regret selling this junk to Slimjim. Of course, I did not know about the defects in either one of these situations.

Have you posted about the defects and resulting car malfunctions on that other forum with so many other Blitz buyers? Doctordoom, the original tester and OP of the thread that produced the group buy would probably be very interested in what might happen to him in the future, and might be interested in your "fix".
Old 10-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Yea I would hate to throw away $350 also and it is fixed.