Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > General Forums > Fit for Racing!

Fit for Racing! Autocross, Drift, Drag, Togue etc

Old 04-29-2010, 12:22 PM

The JKS is on a distinguished road
Default The JKS's 1/4 mile time research

So I posted this on other forum, but thought you guys might be interested to see too

So, I've been 1/4 miling with my GE8 AT Fit at a local track here in Orlando, FL (well, only 3 times so far... lol), and I decided to do some research for you guys I'm planing on doing about 4 more days of runs each time with a typical easy GE8 mods. Btw, I don't usually get the recept because it's kinda pain in the a$$ get them after the run. Also my R/T time is pretty decent (about .7 sec avg) due to playing PSP drag racing game all the time lol
Here are some stats and how I do 1/4 miles:
-Car: 2010 White Fit Sports AT with about low 3K miles
-Driver: 5'10" 185lb
-Launching: "S" mode (not using paddle shifters), left foot on break firm, right foot on gas reving about 2k rpm and then full throttle after the green light.
-Driver experience: 30+ runs with 3 different cars
-Mods: Will specify each run
-Tires: Stock Dunlop
-Rear seats folded flat

1. March 24th Sunny (Around mid 50's F with almost no wind)
-Stock GE8 without spare tires and jack
*17.6 sec @ 80 mph
*17.3 sec @ 82 mph
*17.4 sec @ 81 mph

2. April 7th Sunny (Around low 60's F with almost no wind)
-The same as 1st day with Denso IK22 spark plugs and LED interior lights (I don't know if that changes anything but...)
*17.9 sec @ 79 mph
*17.8 sec @ 79 mph
*18.1 sec @ 77 mph
*17.8 sec @ 79 mph

After putting IK22 spark plugs, I noticed my car got slower even thought the track tempeture was about 5F higher. I was so sad when I saw the number "18"...

3. April 9th Cloudy (Around mid 60's F with wind helping)
-The same as 2nd day with K&N drop-in filter
*17.6 sec @ 81 mph
*17.4 sec @ 82 mph

I only got to run twice because it was sooo busy and started to rain a bit. But def. felt different after putting the K&N drop-in filter. It sounds cool too! lol

I'm expecting a PRM intake within a couple of days, so I'm gonna try to go again this Wednesday. Since everyone said this intake raise about 5+whp so I can't wait!!! lol
PS: I returned the K&N drop-in filter the next day lol

4. April 14th Sunny (Around low 60's F with 10+ mph wind helping)
-The same as 2nd day + 93 Octane gas from BP (Filled up only 1/3 tank full from empty)
*19.1 sec @ 80 mph
*18.2 sec @ 76 mph
*17.0 sec @ 83 mph

Thoughts: I don't think 93 octane gas is really helping because I didn't feel any different. I got the 17.0 sec because of the wind not the gas in my opinion. Anyhow, I can't wait til go back next Wednesday with PRM intake on. Oh, I should have my Mugen grill by then too so we will see if that helps also

5. April 21st Cloudy (Around high 60's F with almost no wind)
-No spare tire + no jack + IK22 + PRM intake + 1/3 tank 99% 93 octane + Mugen grill
*19.5 sec @ 80 mph
*17.5 sec @ 82 mph
*17.0 sec @ 89 mph
*17.6 sec @ 84 mph

Thoughts: I totally disappointed about the result... I expected breaking 17 sec every single runs but instead I got WAY more wheel spins... The PRM intake def. made it faster off the line but with losing all the gained power to wheel spins, my times didn't change at all... Bright side of tonight's run was that I had a "super quick" wheel spin going from 1st to 2nd gear (HELL YEAH!!! lol) AND, my second run was against Mazda 3 hatch and guess what?! I smoked him!!! Well, he was only 0.2 slower but... IT'S MY FIRST WIN EVER WITH THE FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol So in conclusion, PRM intake DOES make a difference in performance on surface just like it did in dyno!!! I highly recomend this intake!!!
HKS Hi-power exhaust is coming tomorrow so I'm going back again next Wednesday for sure. Plus my friend who has a Flip video camera promissed me that he is gonna go with me next time, so I finally going to have a video clip of me runing!!!

Add on & Mods thoughts:
These are my personal opinions so please try not to argue about what u r about to read
1. Driving without spare tire and jack
-I know shaving weights from this car is the best thing u can do to the car but I don't see any point of getting rid of them to shave down only 30 lb or so in the back. I don't see any improvement in gas milages either.
2. Driving with the rear seats fold flat
-I think this is the best way (not spending any money of course) to improve the Fit's handling because I can def. tell the difference with my rear seats down when I curve around twisty roads.
3. Denso IK22 spark plugs
-This is the first actual mod that I did to my car. I got very excited about adding 2+HP just changing spark plugs after reading those articles about the IK22 so I ordered them very next day. The performance shop that I go to do my shopping said IK22 is "pregapped" and u can't gap most of iridium spark plugs so I just ordered the IK22 from my own source for $30 for 4 plugs. After 15 mins of thinking about finding right tool and right approch, I did it without removing the front plastic cover and such. And I will say this, THIS IS NOT AS BAD AS WHAT PEOPLE SAY! I just happened to have a bad lower back and that just delayed some installation time. All in all, I did it in 30 mins just doing it without looking, and I was pretty happy with the result. BTW, watch out for the O2 sensor (green wire housing) when you change 2 right side ones. After installing these plugs, I noticed nothing different compare to the stock plugs. BUT, after putting 93 octane gas in my Fit was a different story. I was getting better response from the engine for sure (not HP wise)
4. K&N drop in filter
-I don't like stock intake filters at all because they restrick air flow so darn much. So I bought (?) one to just to see how it is on Fit. The result was pretty amazing. Maybe it's just me but the sound coming from the fatory air box was nicer and I was getting WAY BETTER response from the engine. I actually felt my low end torque was better.
5. 93 Octane gas
-I don't think this is helping at all unless u combine with other mods in my opinion
6. PRM intake
-I got the intake and installed it right away without thinking because of what people say about this intake. The result? HOLY SH8!!! It feels like I just installed one of those throttle controller... And the amount of low end torque added is incrediable. If u (people with AT Fit) pay attention to ur Fit, I'm sure u noticed that AT Fit changes gear so much driving on up hills. After putting the intake, none of those happen unless it's a darn stiff up hill... I'm going up on pretty decent hills (yes, we do have some hills here in FL lol) and the tranny doesn't shift to gain more power to go up. And my favorite thing about this intake is the sound. I didn't know my little 1.5L can make this much noise until I put the intake... But like people said in this forum, u can't even tell if it's there until u go over 3k rpm.
6. Mugen grill
-Installing this was way too simple. The car looks way more aggressive and it actually feels like the car gotten better because of more fresh air going thru the grill.
7. HKS Hi-power exhaust
-Got a used one from a FF member and I gotta say, this is what exactly what I was looking for... I love the way it faces a little to the right and how deep the noise is. I really didn't believe that people saying "HKS exhaust is less louder than PRM intake" until I installed it... and it is true lol. It took me 5 mins (yes 5 mins) after lifting the car and just wanna say make sure u put some WD40 or some kind of lubricant on the rubber parts before u remove them to make it easier to come out. My MPG went way up from 32mpg avg to 38mpg avg after driving about 200 miles. I guess my whole set up so far really needed a bigger exhast outlet. Also I feel much more HP/TQ in higher rpm range. I def. recomend this exhaust.
8. Throttle controller
-coming soon
9. Mugen rear end spoiler
-coming soon

2010 TW Fit Sports
Add-ons in order:
1. OEM window visors
2. 15% 3M window tinting all around
3. Denso IK 22 spark plugs
4. PRM intake
5. Mugen front grill
6. HKS Hi-power exhaust
Old 04-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Nice piece of research. But we have investigated the high octane situation and it has been proven that the Fit ECU DOES advance the timing while using higher octane which means there will be gains.

No doubt about it we rely on FACTS not idle speculation unlike some other sites where you have been getting unreliable advice from people that who have no idea what they are doing.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:23 AM

Yeah totally agree, it just feel more noticeable putting 93+ gas after putting my intake Again, I am not a hard core mechanic, I just do this for fun and am putting my fun into a research so u guys can see some result

2010 TW Fit Sports
Add-ons in order:
1. OEM window visors
4. PRM intake
5. Mugen front grill
6. HKS Hi-power exhaust
Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Personally I really like it when members take the time to document their work even if the results are good bad or indifferent the data collected add to the growing database of what works and what doesn't with the Fit and every little bit helps. Your contribution has added to our data.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:30 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default Nice write up!...and don't be disappointed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JKS
4. April 14th Sunny (Around low 60's F with 10+ mph wind helping)
-The same as 2nd day + 93 Octane gas from BP (Filled up only 1/3 tank full from empty)
*19.1 sec @ 80 mph
*18.2 sec @ 76 mph
*17.0 sec @ 83 mph

Thoughts: I don't think 93 octane gas is really helping because I didn't feel any different. I got the 17.0 sec because of the wind not the gas in my opinion. Anyhow, I can't wait til go back next Wednesday with PRM intake on. Oh, I should have my Mugen grill by then too so we will see if that helps also

5. April 21st Cloudy (Around high 60's F with almost no wind)
-No spare tire + no jack + IK22 + PRM intake + 1/3 tank 99% 93 octane + Mugen grill
*19.5 sec @ 80 mph
*17.5 sec @ 82 mph
*17.0 sec @ 89 mph
*17.6 sec @ 84 mph

Thoughts: I totally disappointed about the result... I expected breaking 17 sec every single runs but instead I got WAY more wheel spins... The PRM intake def. made it faster off the line but with losing all the gained power to wheel spins, my times didn't change at all... Bright side of tonight's run was that I had a "super quick" wheel spin going from 1st to 2nd gear
JKS,
Hey guy, nice write up! This is nice that you include so much data to support your findings, and for us to draw from. I too have tried several mods, and sometimes, I too have been disappointed with the lack of noticeable gains. Sometimes a single mod may not result in a noticeable gain. Sometimes the advantage of that one mod will not show up until a combination of other mods work together to free up some horsepower. It seems to me that from your documentation, it looks like you are making more power with your mods!
First of all, that PRM intake has got to be helping your engine breath. I also believe that the 93 octane fuel is helping you make more power! Your 17.0 second 1/4 mile time from April 14th, and the 17.0 sec run on April 21st may look to be the same at a glance, but look at your trap speed! You are going 6 mph faster at the back end. Your tires were slipping at launch, yet you ended up going faster? You must be making some power!
I am thinking that you could easily break into the 16's with a little help. Try mounting some "sticky" tires up front, and see if you can eliminate that wheel spin, and get a better launch. It appears that you haven't been able to take advantage of all that new found power.
Also, read VillageIdiot's post on "Lighter wheels and tires = great advantages." His experience with "lighter rotational mass" makes a lot of sense. Also, in recent communications with Dee, he mentioned that he is enjoying better front end traction after switching to Swift springs. If I understood him correctly, I believe that he alluded to the fact that the resulting stance, has affected the weight distribution, therefore giving him a better "launch" advantage. This "forward rake" a characteristic of these springs has given him more front end grip.
Keep up this thread! I am looking forward to future episodes!
-macbuddy-
Old 05-13-2010, 06:39 PM

Thanks Mac, yeah, I'm in a break doing this 1/4 mile research because of my job situation. But I can't wait to find out about my new time with the new mod (HKS exhaust) Seriously it was fun doing it for awhile and I miss it... Next one will be just as is right now cuz I'm pretty sure it's faster with HKS exhaust because I'm getting way more avg mpg (about 5-6 more mpg). I'm going to hold on to getting lighter wheels and tires since my car only has 4.5k miles and gonna wait til my tires wear out til it becomes slick (I'm typical cheap asian lol) I wanna find out if after changing to syntetic oil is gonna do anything to the speed.

2010 TW Fit Sports
Add-ons in order:
1. OEM window visors
4. PRM intake
5. Mugen front grill
6. HKS Hi-power exhaust
Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 PM

VillageIdiot is on a distinguished road

I really like that you are adding a little bit at a time and hope that you might consider not just lighter but smaller diameter wheels and tires when you do get around to it..... As tall as the gearing is on the A/T cars I know that it would make a huge difference..... Manxman's thread on air springs is something to look at that is a cheap and easy way to transfer weight to the front wheels and keep it there... The air shocks are stiffer than stock which will help with the rear body roll during quick directional changes....I got mine from Strut Masters for $66.19.... I'm looking forward to reading more about your enlightening quest.