Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Anything wheel or tire related post here.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:01 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default RATS I have the wheel bearing howl

Looks like I will be doing a DIY of changing your wheel bearings soon. Started to get a speed related howl that gets worse when hot and that is usually wheel bearings. Hope it's the normal just the rear ones and the front ones look like a real pain to do. 40,000+ KM only
Old 02-01-2015, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Well good news bad news LOL. Quick checked the wheel bearings without removing the tires and they all seem ok.

So went further and started it up in my car port so all the noises get exaggerated and I can hear the noise from the engine bay.

Checked maybe it was the replacement fan motor but still there with the A/C off.

Maybe a throwout bearing nope still there clutch in or out.

Gearbox ... nope still there in gear or neutral no change.

So it may be the alternator and or idler pulley. Going to have to pull the fan belt to check on some other day as I understand it's a pain in the butt to remove.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Administrator

So I finally broke down and took it to a local dealer and there is Good News Bad News and even Better Good News LOL.

Went to the dealer and the good news is that my diagnostic skills are still working as they agreed with my assessment. So in goes my baby and I told them to just replace both sides if one was bad. Up on the lift wheels off and a couple minutes later yep bad wheel bearing on the right rear.

OK but now the bad news.............. we can't get a new bearing for a month?????

I said you people are nuts. But more good news they did all this checking and printed out the part number FOR FREE and it's even old and out of warranty.

This place is the place I buy my parts as is is bigger and newer than where I bought my car but they couldn't get the part for a month???????

So back to my original dealer that is located maybe 10 minutes away even in traffic. Took the handy print out and asked in the parts room do you have this in stock?

Nope and I thought cripes it's going to be a month when he piped up we don't have it now but we can have one here tomorrow morning. Great order it.

So here were have two dealers both Honda, a couple miles apart, and one can get the part overnight and the other one says it will take a MONTH?????????? sometimes this place drives me nuts.

But the best news is total, all in, tax, labor, and parts $184.00
Old 03-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Well it sure is nice to have my baby back in tip top condition.

Only took 0.7 of an hour to change the bearing and hub and the huge labor charge was $13.00

All done even cheaper than I thought $167.28 including that whopping labor charge.

Guessing I will have to replace my coilpacks soon.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:20 AM

FITnWV is on a distinguished road
Default 40,000 + mile wheel bearing

My 2015 FIT started the wheel bearing howl last week (40397 miles). Dealership said it was rare, but happens... but it's covered under the drive-train warranty, so they'll replace both rear bearings tomorrow - free of charge.

The question is: how many Hondas need new wheel bearings at the 40,000 mile mark? Should there be a service bulletin or something?? My 2008 FIT was sold with @200,000 miles & never had a wheel bearing issue.