Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > General Forums > The Newbie Forum

The Newbie Forum New to Honda Fit Forums??? Introduce yourself here!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:25 AM

chriswf is on a distinguished road
Default New member, possibly new FIT owner?

Hey guys, my name is Chris, I live in Plano/Dallas, Texas area...

My current daily driver/work car is a saturn sl1, loads of developing problems, and many of the problems are sensor related (like TPS), which has to be bought from the stealership because BDM or whoever makes them for autozone and orielly, doesn't make their 3 pin TPS to work properly in the car they designed it for... And it's 5x the price at a dealership.

Time to move on...

I'm likely going to use it as a trade in (I think everywhere now gives 3k$ for ANY trade in because it's a tax write off for them), so I was looking at Honda FITs, and 1st gen Scion xBs.

I need 2 important things out of a car:
- dependability
- fuel economy

I am a foreclosure inspector (someone has gotta do it). I can EASILY put 250 miles on a car a day. No engine brakes. 20 days out of the month. See why I need those 2 important things out of a car, now?

Anyway, whatcha think? I noticed the FIT's resale values are WAY higher than that of xbs.

Is the Fit the right car for me?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

I have been on 5 different Jazz/Fit boards since 2005 and I can only remember maybe a handful of members that weren't VERY satisfied with their choice of the Fit/Jazz.

They are Very dependable with several of the older ones now approaching 300,000 miles driven and a bunch over 100,000 miles with NO major problems.

One BUT ......a few new owners weren't that pleased with the seats and if you are going to be driving that much I would sit in one for quite awhile to see if the seats don't bother you.

Most people that don't drive like they stole it are getting 40 mpg or close to that AFTER break in. When they are brand new it's more like 30ish but after 5000 miles or so it starts moving up.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 AM

That sounds awesome. I see them everywhere while driving. Sometimes I think it could be the area, but on weekends if I work, about every neighborhood I drive through, someone has one...

The ONLY thing I don't like about them, is MOST of them I see around here are that light blue/teal color... Aaaannnnd..... It reminds of an easter egg. Other than that I love the body style and other color shades.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Yea wait until you see how much FITS in the back. And if you ever have back seat passengers looks are deceiving there is a lot of room in the back seats and they are very comfy.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Yeah I heard they put the gas tank more up front in the car or something? So the rear seats can fold down super lower, lower than most cars.

I've been reading and reading, but I can't find specific problems people continue to have with them. I know that no car is perfect, and everyone will have their own tiny problems here and there...

But say for like, saturns S series, in the year 97 they were made with horrible fuel pumps and it causes the car to be difficult to start if the fuel pump isn't done priming. All saturns have Coolant Thermostat Sensor problems eventually (or the plug to the CTS).

Late 80s ford probes have cranks seals that go out or leak, and throw oil all over your engine bay (ultimately ruining other parts like starters, alternators and belts).

In tCs and XBs, they are known for a/c going out repeatedly in them. Also the trunk button/lever on the tcs breaks off, it has plastic fasteners that fasten it to the car that break... Owners that don't know this, and yank up on the hatch lid hard when they go to open it, will eventually rip it off. You have to press the open button, and pull up on the actual frame of the hatch where it meets the bumper (where it's made of metal).
The xbs sometimes need clutch pedal adjustments, or they'll "thump" or make a bump noise, whenever you go to put them into 1st gear.

See what I mean? Yeah the tc and xb problems I found and experienced myself aren't problems that'd stop you from getting from point A to B.

But the Saturns and probe problems are.
I've had tons of cars, myself... Just trying to make sure, that I'm not walking into any very potential mistakes.
It's 1 thing to own a car and never have problems with it, if it's your hobby car and NOT your daily driver.
It's another thing to hear about people reaching 300k miles...

I'm going to go test drive a black Fit right now, since it's my day off. I'll be back later, maybe with a Fit, we'll see
Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Administrator

About the only thing that is common around 50,000 miles is the sparking units (coilpacks) can start to cause problems like a rougher idle or misfiring.

Some people have problems some don't and the newer ones are not old enough yet to see if the problem has been solved yet or not.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:39 AM

Does it throw a CEL? Is it easy to diagnose which one it is and replace it? or do you have to replace them all? I can get ignition coils for this for ~50-60$ after a discount I think.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Yea it normally does and which one sometimes or sometimes people have to try changing one at a time to find the right one not sure why sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't show as a MIL (new term for cel).

People with no scanner have been getting a scan for free at places like peps boys etc. From the dealer they are about $98.00 but on ebay and at parts houses they are the $50.00 range like you can get them.

Most people have been finding one and in a few case two bad ones.

Last edited by claymore; 08-27-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:40 PM

Yeah I know, I'd used autozones scanner :P