Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > General Forums > The Newbie Forum

The Newbie Forum New to Honda Fit Forums??? Introduce yourself here!

Old 11-25-2012, 05:10 PM

trek54 is on a distinguished road
Question Newbie with the old power steering question

2008 Fit with 66,000 miles and the power steering light began blinking. Twice when I started it during cold mornings 32 degrees the power steering didn't work but came on seconds later without having to turn the car off and then on. One morning a few minutes after driving it while cold the power steering quit at 55 MPH, but came back after about 20 seconds. I drove it straight to the dealer. They could see 2 different power steering codes when they tested it but could not get the light to blink while there. It seems that after the car has warmed up the power steering light will go off.
I left it over night on a cold night and it finally duplicated the problem. They replaced the power steering sensor unit.
I picked up my car at closing and after I left the power steering light began blinking again. I took it back the next morning, but by the time I drove it there it had warmed up and the light went off (10 miles).

Today on my way to drop it off on another cold night(27 degree) for them to check the power steering in the morning, it went out after 3 minutes on the road at 55mph and came back on 30 seconds later. Obviously the repair was not the issue. Any other thoughts out there. They seem baffled.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard. That is a strange one for sure. The only problems I have seen were all from the control unit. SOMETIMES problems like that come from the connections being not tight or corroded and if you are feeling brave you could try taking the connector off and cleaning the points with computer contact cleaner or toothbrush.

There really isn't anything else in the power steering system that could cause problems.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:59 PM

handy is on a distinguished road

Surprises me that even Honda does the "replaced part" must be fixed. You might want to ask what the codes were and did they indicate the same part or did they just replace the cheaper and easier part. 50 yrs ago that was what GM did without computers, replace suspected part, fixed it, if not replace another part, they didn't remove first part as it is paid for and installed and more trouble to take out. Simple corroded connection sometimes gets fixed by moving parts.