Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Exterior & Detailing

Exterior & Detailing Anything exterior related, body kits, paint, JDM, decals, emblems, lenses, hoods, spoilers, detailing etc...

Old 03-18-2010, 07:58 PM

VillageIdiot is on a distinguished road
Default On the edge of the Piney Woods.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 PM
manxman

Thanks for the full-assed picture! They look good!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

How did you cut out the hood beneath them?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 AM

I used a die grinder but an angle cut grinder is what is recommended..... The under hood bracing isn't welded in place but held in place with what appears to be little dots of hot glue like used in arts and crafts but with a higher temperature melting point..... I have been a bad boy and left my car outside during rain and snow and everything is alright and looks the same as it would if it had been garaged..... I have a Scangauge on its way from JC Witney so I will be able to see what differences there are in temperature under the hood, air intake, coolant, and whatever else..... The super charger's intake is almost touching the hood close to the highest point and the louvers have brought the temperature down enough to feel a big power gain and even the engine oil on the dipstick can be wiped off with your fingers after hard driving with out being burned.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

You think they could be installed from the bottom with just the vents sticking out and the rest of the housing underneath?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:29 AM

The web site is www.HoodLouvers.com and they have all of the skinny on installation, testimonials, and products. I was going to use some that were black powder coated and still wish I had but the contractor had sent him some that weren't done right and were peeling. I bought acrylic paint that was suppose to be the right color but just wasn't close enough and will have to be redone later when I have some body work done....I am not skilled in sheet metal work and wouldn't try to mount then other than the way Run Cool advises.... There are pictures of vehicles with the right paint on them that look much better than mine but are still mounted the same way....
Old 03-20-2010, 07:05 AM
manxman

Wow! That is an impressive site! I can see why you used this product, and I would personally not even bother with the little plastic scoop that people are buying for the cowl area in front of the windshield. If I don't get enough measurable heat reduction from the trans cooler that I will install in a month or so, I will buy a set of stainless steel louvers. thanks for the site link.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:01 PM

If you have a Scangauge get some temperatures under different conditions before you get the cooler.... It should bring the engine coolant temp down as well as the trans fluid.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:03 PM
manxman

I do have a ScanGauge, and my GE8 Runs at a steady 180 degrees in the summer. That is perfectly OK, and not considered "hot". I expect the trans cooler to reduce the temp. about 10 degrees. If that happens, I won't pursue anything else to make it run cooler. If that doesn't happen, I will probably install the louvers.

I have to repeat, though, that compared to the louvers, the little plastic scoop on the cowl appears to be pretty stupid and ineffective.

Last edited by manxman; 03-20-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:47 AM

If you could have scoops like that on both sides and route the hoses to the interior vent intakes I would jump on a pair in a heart beat..... I would even consider a rally car type roof scoop to let ambient temperature air into the cabin whenever it isn't too hot or cold to do so.....The old cars I grew up with had vents to open or close and adjustable vent windows and I miss the hell out of them..... 180 is a great operating temperature for the engine measured at the coolant but the excess heat being dissipated by the radiator can become much hotter than that in heavy traffic or while climbing hills.... That heat rising with no outlet except out the bottom of the engine compartment will elevate the intake air temperature, lowering power and fuel mileage as well as shortening the life of the battery, belt, hoses, and wiring.... Passive technology is out of style I guess but it has always been cheap to maintain and effective...... It makes me think of my father pointing out his grandfather's dog trot house with a hallway down the middle and double doors on each end that were left open in the summer.... He said there was a crockery urn wrapped with dish cloths in a large bowl of water and filled with milk in the hall way during the summer..... I laughed when he told me that when he came inside after working in the garden and got a glass of milk from it that it was the coldest milk he had ever drank.