Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > General Forums > Fit News reports

Fit News reports Put all the things you find in the news about Fit/Jazz here.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default Honda Element gone

The Honda Element, popular with dog owners and some types of businesses, will be discontinued after the 2011 model year, American Honda Motor Co. announced Friday.

Introduced in December 2002, the Element started a trend of box-on-wheels design reflected in Toyota's Scion xB and Mitsubishi's Outlander, among others.

"The Element proved that ultimate functionality can often come from thinking inside the box," John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda, said in a press release. "It made boxy vehicle designs cool."

Edmunds.com gave the short-but-tall utility vehicle generally positive reviews.

"Behind that cubist philosophy is a level of versatility that sets it apart from many other small wagons and compact SUVs," the editors wrote of the 2011 model.

The Element was the subject of several recalls: 2003/04, ignition switch mechanism; 2007/08, braking system and stability module; and 2010, transmission shift cable.

Honda said it has sold about 325,000 Elements, but customers are increasingly attracted to crossover SUVs.

from CNN
Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 PM
manxman

I liked the interior space, the plastic lined "hose it out" interior, and the rear seats that fold up into the sides of the vehicle, but did not like the poor fuel economy due to the little engine having to push the big box through the air. So instead of the Element, we bought the '06 Scion XB little box instead for my wife. Four years later, she still loves it. I think that the XB seats are about as comfortable as a park bench, but I don't have to drive it. The handling of the XB was dramatically improved by the rear anti-sway bar that Progress makes for it. She can drive too fast in our mountains without the rear of the car flopping from side to side.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Yea those shoeboxes are a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. The rest of the world is trying everything to get the best mileage and these things are like trying to push a brick wall down the road. I won't miss them at all.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 PM

Fit2bMe is on a distinguished road

This also means a lot of Element Forums (If there are) will be dead as well....

On a serious note, when a car model is shelved, does this mean the end of production of OEM parts for them as well?

Let's be friends on Hushmail!!

lalalalaine@myhushmail.com
Old 12-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Administrator

They will keep making parts for them usually about 3 years after production stops. And possibly some parts will Fit other models so they will still be made anyway.