Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Exterior & Detailing

Exterior & Detailing Anything exterior related, body kits, paint, JDM, decals, emblems, lenses, hoods, spoilers, detailing etc...

Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 PM

bukowski is on a distinguished road
Default best DIY fix for digs/gouges in front bumper?

hey all, new member here. pleased to meet ya!

so i've got an '08 fit. bought her just a few days ago and, wouldn't you know it, i've already got a couple of tiny digs/gouges in my front bumper. i had the car parked at work and the jack-asses on the grounds crew were mowing... well they decided to mow right up next to the parking lot and blew grass all over my bumper/hood/windshield. must've shot a few stones into my bumper.

i have two small digs/gouges dead center in my bumper, just below the honda emblem in the grille. i'm wondering what the best DIY fix would be to remove these eyesores? i've been looking into something like dr. color chip, but i'm not sure if that's going to do the trick. these aren't paint chips. there is actually a very tiny bit of material gouged out of the bumper. would it be advisable to just do a whole bunch of very thin coats of touch up to fill them in? if so, then i think i will go with the dr. color chip. but if there's a better alternative, i'm all ears.

i'm so sad to see her already boogered up. other than the recent trauma, she's in immaculate shape for a nearly 5 year old vehicle!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 PM

follow-up post:

since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are a couple of shots of the digs/gouges to which i'm referring.

full view:

close-up:

Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

That is bad work by that crew. But you are on the right track careful application of some touch up paint building layers should give pretty good results.

I have found the touch up paint from Honda parts match very well.

Also instead of using the brush I use a toothpick dipped into the paint so you can use smaller amounts more effectively.

Welcome to our site. Any story behind your avatar?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM

i think i've decided to try my hand at some touch-up work. i'm not at all experienced with paint and/or body work, but there's no way i'm taking her into a body shop for something so minor.

do you think the OEM stuff from the dealer will suffice, or should i spring for something like dr. color chip or langka? also, i've been doing a little bit of reading around the net, and from what i can tell, my best course of action is to use multiple coats until i get a "mound" of sorts, then let it cure for a good long while (a month or two maybe?) and then hit it with some wet-sanding.

does that sound about right?

the avatar goes along with my username. charles bukowski was a german-born american poet/writer. he was a boozer and a womanizer and his writing style was... let's say it's interesting stuff.

that's him in my avatar.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Administrator

I saw that advice on the big buildup and as a former bodyman that was responsible for "fixing up" used cars for sale at a dealership I have to disagree.

Any sanding that you do will be noticeable unless you have access to a buffer, compound, experience sanding, and buffing. There is no way that buffing can ONLY touch the new paint and not the surrounding areas and it will be much more noticeable than two minor spots of paint.

Do the build up until it's flush and leave it alone. After a couple of weeks of not looking at it daily your mind will no longer notice it or have somebody that doesn't know they are there look at the whole front of the car and see if they even see it.

I have never tried those other products but have used the touch up from the dealership and it works good.

One point of advice. If the paint you get is too runny like it won't stay on the end of a toothpick dip some onto the toothpick and blow on it or just let it "set" for a bit and it should "thicken up". Touch up paints are usually made to dry quickly so this should help in preventing the paint from running off your applicator.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM

i appreciate all the info. thanks, dude!

two final questions with respect to the build up. how thick should i go with each coat, and how long should i go between coats? are we talking just one dab will do ya, and then let it cure for a week or two? and then repeat until it's flush?

and i'm assuming i can just clean the area with some alcohol before applying each coat. this vehicle is my daily driver, so if i have to let each coat cure for awhile, there's going to be dirt on top of each coat.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Administrator

No that is some more "advice that may be ....how can I say this...NOT the advice I would give.

Touch up paint is formulated to dry very quickly and there is absolutely NO NEED for any extended wait time. I'm talking 20-30 minutes until you can sand it (not needed in your case) depending on the weather on the day you do it.

I would get a blob of paint that looks like just a bit smaller than the hole (so it just goes in the hole not on the outside) if it's thick enough not to run off the toothpick and put it in the hole as long as it doesn't run out. If it starts to run out just wipe the over run with your finger tip WHILE IT'S STILL wet.

At the same time I would put another blob onto some waste paper or any spot on the bottom of the bumper out of sight and wait maybe five or ten minutes and then try touching the extra blob.

If you finger comes away cleanly with no paint attached (indicating the paint is dry) then just put some more in the hole over your first blob and keep doing this until the hole is filled. With NO NEED for cleaning with anything between coats.

If you don't have a lot of time you CAN do the coats in steps the next day week whatever with no drawbacks and no "special cleaning" needed.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 PM

once again, i really appreciate the input!

i've settled on getting some OEM touch-up from the dealer, and i'm also going to grab some langka. i'm completely inexperienced with touch-up work, so i'm definitely not ready to try my hand at any wet-sanding. with the langka blob eliminator stuff, i think i'll be able to pull off a decent job.

i'll be sure to post before and after pics. well, i guess the before's are already up.