Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Exterior & Detailing

Exterior & Detailing Anything exterior related, body kits, paint, JDM, decals, emblems, lenses, hoods, spoilers, detailing etc...

Old 11-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default Side skirt repairs

There I was turning into our local post office when a maniac of a motorcycle cut me off and I had to swerve and ended up running over a small curb. Looks like macbuddy isn't the only one having a bad week.

I actually heard something plastic popping in my side skirt but when I got out to look it looked normal.

Finally got home and took a better look to find THIS

Remember the black brackets on the bottom edge we will be coming back to them.

So jacked it up a bit (I know there are no jackstands in the photo as I'm not going to be under the car I jacked it up just so I could see better.) and found that those black brackets go under the car and use the Honda pop in type plastic buttons to hold them in place.

If you look closely at the rocker panel just to the front of the jack and just in front of the last plastic clip you can see where the rocker panel was pushed in just a bit.

Then it's just a simple matter of taking one screw out on the very front of the skirt right behind the front wheel then sliding the whole skirt forward to unclip it. And there it was 5 years of "Slime" under the skirt. The white clips hold the skirt to the body.

In this one you can see the area around the clip was pushed in about 1/4 of an inch.

So I took my trusty philips screwdriver and popped the bent metal back out so it was in the proper place and boy is the Honda metal used in the body VERY THIN it was very easy to return the metal where is belongs.

Then it was on to the skirt itself to see what the problem was. Actually it was quite easy because three plastic brackets fell out of the skirt when it was unclipped

This is what the brackets SHOULD look like....

It looks like the clip brackets were engineered to break off very easily as they are formed to the skirt using just three little fingers of plastic on each end and and two along the side. It is probably like that so if they break off in a collision it will NOT pull on the skirt and wreck the whole skirt also.

On mine the three rearmost clip brackets separated from the skirt leaving behind just the three little bumps from the three fingers.

If you look closely at the clip brackets still on the skirt you can see the sun coming through the spaces showing that just those little fingers are the only connection to the skirt itself.

During the actual repairs I broke out my trusty Loctite super glue and that stuff is the best super type glue I have used. A couple of dabs to hold one end of the broken off clip brackets got me started.

If you look closely at the top edge of the broken off glued on brackets you can see they don't quite "reach" the other side of the skirt and will have to be stretched back into position somehow.

If you look at the far right side of the skirt you can see a bolt that I used on the very back end of the stock skirt as they used to be too loose for me as they came from the factory.

Then it was a matter of more strongly reattaching the broken off brackets BUT not too strong so if this skirt gets hit again the bracket will not pull off a hunk of the skirt if it separates just like the factory design.

So a judicious dab of two part epoxy was applied to the area already superglued on and allowed to dry overnight. You can not do both ends at the same time as you have to hold the skirt in a certain position so the epoxy doesn't run away from the bracket when it is still runny.

After a bit of cogitating I used some old twist ties that come inside packages, holding some products to cardboard, and I always save, to coax the bracket back into the proper position. The holes are just big enough for the twist tie and the ones through the skirt are on the very bottom of the skirt and can't be seen unless you are under the car.

I just tightened them until the plastic bracket bent back into the proper position. A bit of super glue was used then when it had dried more epoxy was applied to this end and allowed to dry overnight again.

And now the most frustrating part of the whole job. TRYING multiple times to get all the clips slid back into the slots on the skirt brackets while reinstalling the skirts.

Finally gave up trying to get the flimsy skirt held straight enough to hook all the white clips at the same time while the skirt was wiggling all over the place and enlisted Mrs. Claymore to give me an assist.

Still with the two of us one on each end of the skirt it took a bunch of tries to get all the clips slid on without some being not clipped or the clips being knocked off out of position but finally it slid in and all the clips were in place Hooray. Then it was just a matter of reinstalling the bolt that I added to the rear of the skirt, putting the pop in clips on the three brackets under the car, and the one screw in the front.

Back to normal with all clips and brackets repaired...

Looking in from the rear tire toward the front side of the rear wheelwell you can see the nut of the bolt that I have installed on the far end of the skirt next to the big stock nut.

So there it is repairs of your side skirts.

Adding sideskirts to a base model would be a pain in the butt but could be done. The main problem is the white clips go into a SQUARE HOLE so you would have to pop rivet or screw the clips in the correct position but you would probably need to have a sport model right there so you could measure where the clips had to be.

Last edited by claymore; 11-05-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Carbuff2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
...you would probably need to have a sport model right there so you could measure where the clips had to be.
Like this?

I'd like to have a Sport Model nearby for ALL my automotive jobs...

PS Nice writeup. Be sure to follow up on how well the glue holds up, in six months or so.
'99 Acura TL, AT.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Administrator

The glue should hold as the skirts have no pressure on them they are basically just hanging down like curtains. Unless I run over another curb.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:51 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
The glue should hold as the skirts have no pressure on them they are basically just hanging down like curtains. Unless I run over another curb.
I don't get it...Carbuff2's Sport model has no skirt!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:02 AM

Carbuff2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbuddy View Post
I don't get it...Carbuff2's Sport model has no skirt!
I'm sorry, it must be an oversight.

Here's another Sports Model that DOES have a skirt. Or are those running boards?

'99 Acura TL, AT.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 AM

milanored is on a distinguished road

Im sorry but i like the 1st SPORTS MODEL,And i do like it in white
Old 07-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Dude you are stealing my photos LOL. The least you could do is come HERE and ask about your problem.

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-g...-mounting.html