Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Exterior & Detailing

Exterior & Detailing Anything exterior related, body kits, paint, JDM, decals, emblems, lenses, hoods, spoilers, detailing etc...

Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM

Salina is on a distinguished road
Default place to buy clips and screws used on exterior

Hi,

The car is a '08 Fit Sport GD model.
I was wondering where others get replacement clips and screws for their Honda Fit? The anchor types often wear out, especially if you remove them somewhat regularly, such as the clips removed from the wheel well liner to reach the headlight bulb to be replaced.
I would think Honda dealership has them, but is there a mail order place that has them and at a good price?

Here's a picture of some that I took out of the fender liner. Two of the ones towards the rear area of wheel well near the side body moulding chipped when I tried to remove them with a small flat screwdriver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1171_sc.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	195  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Carbuff2 is on a distinguished road

My experience is, it's best to buy the proper clips from a dealer. Once you get the the part numbers you could order from an online dealer for less. (As long as you are ordering other stuff at the same time: otherwise the shipping is a killer.)

The last time I needed some (I try to keep a few on hand) I asked the parts guy at the dealer and he GAVE me a few for free!!!!

As an alternative, you could try an autoparts store, but as your photo shows, there are a variety of diameters and depths for the various positions. Generics don't seem to do the job as well as genuine Original Equipment.
'99 Acura TL, AT.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

There are actually 3 part numbers, sizes, and shapes of the clips. I'm pretty sure there are three different ones but I can only find two part numbers in my supply so maybe there are only two?

I get them at any Honda dealer usually in 10 piece bags and they are very cheap so buying 10 each is not a wallet breaker.

smallest: clip,inn fender 91501-S04-003

longest: clip,BPR A 91503-SZ3-003
Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Thank you for the quick replies, Carbuff2 and claymore, much appreciated. Will do when ever I get to a Honda dealer. I'm going to try and get extras as even with our antique Toyota, you can't find the same type of clips and fasteners at the local auto parts stores.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:37 AM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salina View Post
Thank you for the quick replies, Carbuff2 and claymore, much appreciated. Will do when ever I get to a Honda dealer. I'm going to try and get extras as even with our antique Toyota, you can't find the same type of clips and fasteners at the local auto parts stores.
Ebaymotors.com also has GREAt deals on small parts such as you are looking for. but be sure that you know the correct Honda part number before ordering from an eBay vendor. Parts like the cabin air filter located behind the glove box are also much cheaper from eBay vendors than from dealer parts departments, and /or on-line dealers.

Sooner or later, you will have a rock come up from the roadway and break one of your fog light glass lenes (unless you apply a plastic "armor" film to resist breakage). If a fog light lens breaks, the whole light has to be replaced. I got a low price and great quality on a replacement fog light from an eBaymotors vendor recently.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 AM

Hi manxman,
Sooner rather than later on the fog lights.
We didn't notice the right lens was cracked on the Fit when we looked at it at the dealership. Of course, that bothered me, and I had to replace it. I did just what you did and got a set of fog light units from ebay that have the black 'frame' as the original red frame wouldn't fit with these replacement light fixtures, their profile is shorter than the glass lens originals. I could paint the frames red, but I like the black look. My husband said it was dumb of Honda to use glass in such a spot, low to ground, just asking to be cracked. Recently he spotted an orange Fit and had to check out the fogs on it, and both were cracked.
Yes, I was trying to figure out what to put atop the lenses to protect them, but hubby said these plastic ones should be less prone to shattering/cracking if a rock hits them. I still have one good glass lens from the original and have stored the original set in case they are needed or lens replaced.
Thanks for the heads up about the alternative place to shop, ebay.

Where are you folks finding the parts numbers for these clips? I have the service manual, ala CD (from ebay) and the section 20-135 front inner fender replacement shows the sketches of clips and bolt, but they only list them as Clip 1 and Clip 2. Oddly enough, they don't have the correct sketch for the flat round headed clip that has a square base, fits in square hole.
Thanks!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 AM

sooznd is on a distinguished road

I found some clips at my local AutoZone. I broke a few when putting in my rear splash guards and needed replacements. They had several sizes. Maybe other auto parts stores carry them as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 AM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salina View Post
Hi manxman,
Sooner rather than later on the fog lights.
We didn't notice the right lens was cracked on the Fit when we looked at it at the dealership. Of course, that bothered me, and I had to replace it. I did just what you did and got a set of fog light units from ebay that have the black 'frame' as the original red frame wouldn't fit with these replacement light fixtures, their profile is shorter than the glass lens originals. I could paint the frames red, but I like the black look. My husband said it was dumb of Honda to use glass in such a spot, low to ground, just asking to be cracked. Recently he spotted an orange Fit and had to check out the fogs on it, and both were cracked.
Yes, I was trying to figure out what to put atop the lenses to protect them, but hubby said these plastic ones should be less prone to shattering/cracking if a rock hits them. I still have one good glass lens from the original and have stored the original set in case they are needed or lens replaced.
Thanks for the heads up about the alternative place to shop, ebay.

Where are you folks finding the parts numbers for these clips? I have the service manual, ala CD (from ebay) and the section 20-135 front inner fender replacement shows the sketches of clips and bolt, but they only list them as Clip 1 and Clip 2. Oddly enough, they don't have the correct sketch for the flat round headed clip that has a square base, fits in square hole.
Thanks!
I agree with your husband on Honda's irresponsible choice of glass for the fog light lenses, but the alternative is polycarbonate plastic, which can become distorted and rippled from the heat produced by the halogen bulbs. Also, the glass guarantees lots of high profit sales of new fog lights in dealership parts departments.

The other problem with polycarbonate lenses is, they scratch VERY easily. The plastic armor film that is sold by Headlight Armor on the OTHER Fit forums would prevent impact damage to your plastic lenses.

Another recommendation that is "better sooner than later" for a handy lady such as yourself is to protect your air conditioner condenser with the installation of a "billet aluminum or stainless steel grille". Zeta Products sells a nice set at a good price, and there are dozens of grille vendors on eBaymotors.com. "Mr. Grille" in the town of Norco, CA, makes the best alunimum grilles, but I don't know if he still advertises on eBay. Watch out for the extremely low-priced grilles- come of them are so weak they can be bent in half with your hands. I tested the "you can stand on it" claim of Mr. Grille when I bought my grille from him.

You can find dozens of installation DIY's on several Honda Fit forums, and I wrote the first Grille DIY on that other, bigger, Fit forums site.

Oh yeah, and I usually get my accurate Honda part numbers from buying from a dealer and being horrified by the rip-off price or the rip-off shipping charges, and usually both at the same time. So I write down those part numbersk knowing that I will probably need more in the future and can now buy them from lower cost sources. You can also try looking up the parts through on-line Honda parts stores, and then order them from eBay if you can find them.

Last edited by manxman; 03-16-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

I got the numbers off the parts I have in storage.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:47 AM

Hi Susan, and thanks for the information on clips sold at AZ. I had been going to Adv. Auto and they don't carry very many except for the most popular selling American cars, and recently our store reduced this section of their aisle, so there's even less to choose from. I appreciate the help!

Understood manxman and claymore. Thank you, as now I know where to look and totally forgot about the Honda site for stock numbers.

I only wish the glass lenses for the fogs were replaceable. Nowadays, most things you buy for replacement parts you can't just buy one singular section that could easily be made to remove and put back again, and instead, you have to buy the whole unit. Bundling is popular today, but wasteful. My husband did make some polycorbonate lens covers for a '77 Chevy Luv truck we got rid of recently. They yellowed and scratched but can be buffed back to a somewhat new clarity, but you are right, the hot halogen bulbs would be too hot for them. I'm hoping we go to LED's for head lights bulbs.
Oh, so glad you mentioned about the A/C grill as our Toyota MR2 has a leak from a rock that hit the condenser. Will check out the grille for the Fit. What do you know, Norco, used to live there as a child.
Thanks for the information and tips! Very appreciated!
Regards, Lisa