Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Exterior & Detailing

Exterior & Detailing Anything exterior related, body kits, paint, JDM, decals, emblems, lenses, hoods, spoilers, detailing etc...

Old 11-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default Getting too old for detailing in one day.

Wow used my brand new clay bar form japan and it worked great. Had much more black streaks from collecting garbage from the paint on my Jazz than the one I had been using.

But anyway started washing and clay baring at 0830 to try and avoid the heat after our rainy season is over to start my annual after the rain detailing when it was only 89 degrees.

Finally finished at 1200 and stopped for a spot of lunch. Yea I know a looongggg time but that doesn't even include the interior clean up I did two days ago. When I clean and detail I clean and detail. Wash once with dish washing liquid to remove all the dirt, grime, and old wax.

Then claybar, and this time I did ALL the paint not just the top surface of the roof and hood like I normally do.

Then do the wheels including a toothbrushing of all the between areas of the spokes.

Then the first coat of two coats I normally do. The first wax is mothers gold carnuba cleaner wax that does a nice job removing those tiny scratches that show up when it is nice and clean after claybaring.

Got it all on while wearing a long sleeve shirt and hat to avoid getting a coating of wax reside dust on my hairy arms and in my hair that stuff doesn't come off with regular shower soap. LOL I learned that lesson from prior waxings. But hell it was now 92 degrees and I was sweating buckets.

So got down to wax offing time and my arms felt like they were falling off. Normally I wash and claybar one day then wax the next but I have a hot Friday night date, tomorrow, and was trying to get it all done in one day and have all morning and afternoon to rest up Friday and get some energy back for my anticipated fun strenuous activities.

But alas it was not to be by the time I got all the wax rubbed off and cleaned most of the dust residue it was 95 in the shade and I was whipped, dog tired, and felt every one of my 66 years of age.

So after a nap I got it snuggled back all the way in the carport, in case a sneak late rain storm came in during the night, and will do the last coat of straight carnuba wax tomorrow morning.

And clean off all the wax dust residue with a toothbrush and tire black my tires and other black stuff.

Lets hope it goes well and is a little cooler (fat chance) so I can take a nice nap before my date.

And then touch up a couple minor scratches with some touch up paint on another day.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:09 AM
Administrator

First two pieces of advice for any budding detailers out there. First and foremost ALWAYS CLAYBAR your headlight covers EVERY TIME you wash the car and wax them when you wax. My car is almost 11 years old and I have been doing those two things since it was brand new.

My headlight covers look like CLEAR GLASS not even a hint of yellowing or any other problems they still look brand new after 10+ years.

The second is the dull black plastic coverings around the door window frames CAN be waxed and look great BUT careful when applying the wax or you will have to spend hours removing the white wax residue. I knew that from before because I tried it on a small spot first and saw it worked great.

This time the black plastic cowl covers were looking very grotty and I was contemplating painting them when I thought why not try waxing them if it doesn't help then they can be painted.

IT WORKED GREAT they look like they did when new. I thought they might have streaks or whitish looking areas but they look great. I thought they might look a bit too shiny and looked at photos of the car and they look like they did when I picked it up. Guess I got used to looking at them dull looking.

Anyway started on the second coat of wax today at 1000 and got it applied, all the wax residue removed, tires detailed, front garage door seal air dam detailed and all cleaned up. Done at 1500.

I'm thinking next time I may hire a couple of local kids for the local wage of about $9.95 A DAY and teach them how to do it.

Looks like MY style of detailing just the outside takes 12 hours
Old 11-24-2015, 02:52 AM
Administrator

Well looked closely at my Hurst shift handle that I re-painted on 04-22-2014. The clear eventually turns yellowish and you don't notice it when it is happening. So a fresh coat of paint and it looks new again.

While I had my painting supplies out I re-painted my Bumper Scoop for my DIY fresh air intake too.

Now only freshen up the paint in my wheelwells and I'm done. .... for now.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Well FINALLY finished up my winter restoration project today.

Painted my wheelwells and was surprised to find it took only 15 minutes to jack up one side take off wheel tape, paint, remove tape and re-install wheel.

It was close to getting dark today after washing my car yet again and after I finished the one side I looked at the clock to see if I had enough time to do the other side before dark and YIKES saw only 15 minutes had passed from start to finish.

I have to admit I have had lots of practice taping cars for painting because when you are the new guy in a bodyshop you get all the boring jobs first like taping and sanding so I had plenty of practice and it came in handy today.

So now I'm done and can't think of one more thing to do and the JAZZ is looking fine.

Last edited by claymore; 11-25-2015 at 04:11 AM.