Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Engine

Engine Anything engine related post here. Repair, Maintenance, Mods, Swaps

Old 04-03-2014, 12:44 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default Maintenance time again

since I don't drive 5,000 KM in a year I have to go by time to judge my schedule for changing the oil and other things. I finally hit the one year mark (almost 11 months but I can't wait) so IT'S TIME.

Got Honda oil and filter, Honda manual trans lube, antifreeze, had plugs left over from my purchase of a bunch of sets, cleaning kit for my K&N air filter, new battery hold down, and when this is all done on to a new set of tires.

The new Honda oil is non-synthetic 5-30W. They keep changing things around I have gotten 5-25, 10-30, 0-25 and now this 5-30 all from the same dealer. Wish they would make up their minds.

But I think this one makes the most sense as the 5 would work good in cold weather........LOL the lowest I have even seen here in Bangkok is 62 F. but we also need the thicker 30 as the temps here run about 90 or higher most days.

My original Goodyear eagles still have some tread depth to them but they are now 9 years old so it's time.

The battery hold down was $2.75 and that is so cheap I may just make it one more item to change every time I change the oil LOL.

Got two bottles of castrol Dot4 brake fluid and I'm going to change the brake and clutch fluid too. The original brake fluid has never been changed and to my mind I don't see much point of changing it a bunch of times on a daily driver but 9 years is enough and it's not all that hard to do.

Now to drag my butt out of bed early in the morning to get some things done while it's only 85F. that is tough because of so many years working nights I hate to get up before 10 am.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:51 AM
Administrator

Got around to working on the Jazz today and did all this replaced battery hold down, spray cleaned throttlebody, repaired IAT thermometer wires, cleaned air filter and re-oiled, removed and replaced plugs NGKBKR7E-11 same batch, this time would not index, emptied catch can had about inch inside, changed clutch fluid and topped off.

Good old $10.00 catch can just sits there doing it's job very efficiently I haven't checked it in probably 3 months and it had about 1/2 inch in it.

Could tell the plugs had been in for about a year normally just break them loose and hand spin them out. this time had to turn them out by ratchet not real tight just couldn't spin them by hand. Were NOT hard to break loose that was normal.

Once I put the anti-seize on the new ones they spun back in with my fingers as normal but for some reason this group would not index with the open end of the gap pointing at the valves. same batch of plugs as the old ones and this was the first of probably ten new sets that wouldn't.

Now on to the oil and filter and changing the brake fluid.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Administrator

HA went back and checked and found that this is the TENTH set of sparkplugs I have installed in the Jazz. These are the only ones that wouldn't index properly.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:00 AM
Administrator

Changed antifreeze and found a new way of doing it. Started with a cold car (if you can call 85 F. cool) and drained the radiator then blasted water into the radiator to clean it out. Started car and let it run for a minute or so which caused more water to come out.

Filled it with one liter of antifreeze ( don't have to worry about cold here it never gets below freezing LOL) and topped the radiator off with water. Let it run for about 10 minutes and shut if off.

Messed around cleaning the engine bay and re-covered my intake piping with foil/foam insulation and that took about 15-20 minutes.

Went and started the engine again to let it run and to my amazement the temp gauge was showing a reading of 160. USUALLY I leave it for about an hour but never checked when I got a reading (the car only gets a reading when there is coolant circulating after the thermostat opens) normally I let it run until the idiot gauge starts showing red but no reading on the installed temp gauge).

So it seems that you don't need to wait an hour the engine heat makes the thermostat open quicker than that.

The engine was just warm so I opened the radiator cap CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY to avoid any hot water that may come out but that didn't happen. Topped up the radiator with maybe 1/2 a liter and made sure the overflow was full.

Tomorrow ( you could do it then but I like to wait until the radiator sucks up any water it needs from the overflow) I will run it until it gets nice and warm and check the level again.

Now just the oil and filter, trans fluid, change brake fluid and gets some new tires install some nice new metal valve stems and done.

Last edited by claymore; 04-07-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:54 AM
Administrator

Finished the oil and filter change and it sure is nice to have a fumoto valve installed makes it sooo much cleaner and easier.

This is for all the naysayers out there that think I go overboard on my maintenance.

(sorry about the blurry photo it's hard to take a one handed photo this close and having oily hands doesn't help. It looked good in the preview.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	360
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	551 click to enlarge

Those sparkling silver things are NOT diamonds LOL Those my friends are METAL CHIPS from less than 5000 KM of driving since the last change.

I drive pretty hard but don't powershift very often and the last time I dragraced the Jazz was 6-7 years ago. I don't force downshifts and rev match all the time. That is normal wear in a manual transmission.

All that was collected since the last change about 4900 km ago. I got TWO magnetic oil pan plugs from spoon. One long version and one short version. The long one was installed in the oil pan (but has since been replaced by the fumoto valve since the engine one was coming out very clean almost no "fuzz" on it) and this short version was installed in place of the manual trans drain plug it is the one in photo to the right of my finger with the chip fuzz still on it.

So the bottom line is do you want to drive around for 40,000-50,000 miles between changes with this much and more of chips (this plug was cleaned 4900 KM ago) flowing around in your transmission or do you think it just might be a good idea to change the manual shift transmission fluid sooner than that since the two liters (it only take 1 1/2 liters so ever other time you just need to buy one liter) of Honda fluid was less than $10.00 and it took about five minutes to change.

Less than $10.00 is pretty cheap insurance to me.

If you don't have one yet and have a manual transmission Fit/Jazz do your car a favor and get a spoon magnetic drain plug (short version) and install it in your trans drain NOW.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Finally caught Mrs. claymore with some free time and got done changing my brake fluid today.

Found that 1/2 a liter bottle should do it just fine I bought two bottle and didn't even use one it still has some left over.

What I do is CAREFULLY take out the old fluid in the master cylinder after covering the whole area with an old towel. You MUST be very careful of any drips as brake fluid will EAT YOUR PAINT. I just stuff a couple paper towels in one at a time and soak up the old fluid making sure I have a container to hold the wet towels close at hand.

Fill the master cylinder with fresh brake fluid and you are ready to go.

Since I do not have abs I do mine the old tried and true method of starting with the passenger side rear, then the drivers side rear, then move on to the passenger side front and last the driver side front.

Done for another year YAY.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:58 PM

Waldo is on a distinguished road

So, what's different about flushing out the brake lines with an ABS brake system?
All time best mpg was on a 200 mile trip at 65-70 mph which I managed to squeeze out 51.6 mpg
Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure since mine doesn't have ABS. Checked the manual and in the section about replacing the ABS control module it says bleed the brakes. Go to the bleed the brakes section and it shows the normal old way with no mention of anything special for the ABS.

But I wouldn't place any extra effort to do it with a Fit as young as yours. The freaks go nutso about changing the brake fluid but in the high mileage thread cars with over 200,000 miles never had it changed and never have any problems. Same with brake problems in the brake section no reports of old brake fluid causing a problem

Last edited by claymore; 04-29-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 AM

Waldo is on a distinguished road

I was just curious as your previous post seemed to be making a distinction between the ABS and Non-ABS, but that could have been just the way I was reading into it. lol

My 2004 Dodge 1500 has right at 200,000 miles on it and I have never replaced the brake fluid, though I'm sure that it could use it.

My Fit is only 5 months old and has 11,000 miles on it already. I'm sure that I'll have many more trouble free miles out of it. It has the Maintenance Minder which automatically tells me when maintenance is due. I like it because I tend to OVER maintain my vehicles . . . if there's such a thing.
All time best mpg was on a 200 mile trip at 65-70 mph which I managed to squeeze out 51.6 mpg
Old 04-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure because mine doesn't come with it. But I seemed to remember a discussion on the freak site about some method so I just threw that out there. But the manual says no difference.

For sure on the over maintenance. Our state police did extensive testing way back and found that doing a lot of maintenance over and above recommended things at about 3,000 mile intervals resulted in the best use.

More cost on the parts and oil but fewer repairs in the long run so money was saved over and above the extra cost of the parts and labor.

Last edited by claymore; 04-30-2014 at 08:37 AM.