Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > DIYs

DIYs place all DIYs here

Old 09-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default What went wrong with your Fit/Jazz?

Got to thinking it might be a good idea to have one spot for posting about things that have gone wrong with our cars. So if you have had problems put them in here so other can find out what has gone wrong.

To start off I think the most common problem are the "sparking units" (coil packs for you old timers) going bad. they seem to fail after about 50,000 miles and usually two need replacing. I would think that maybe one went bad but the symptoms are so slight it was not noticed until another one goes bad and the symptoms of weird idle and rough running become obvious. The parts are about $80.00 per unit but they are very easy to replace buy even an average owner.

I think the number two problem is electric power steering modules going bad and so far the vast majority have been replaced under warranty. If you want to DIY it's a BIG JOB calling for removal of the entire dash to gain access.

Another frequent complaint is shorter than expected battery life with the factory supplied batteries on USDM models. This doesn't seem quite as prevalent in other than USDM models.

I haven't checked yet but SOMETIMES when the factory calls for dash removal a good mechanic MAY be able to squirm around and do it by feel without removing the whole dash so if anybody has DIYed it please let us know how it went. And the parts are EXPENSIVE I think I saw even a used one at a pick and pull was like $500.00 os do your best to bother the dealer to get it done under warranty even if you have too many miles.

Last edited by claymore; 09-27-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Administrator

On my own Jazz I had the bad battery but it was at 5 years with low mileage so overall 5 years is not too bad.

I had hot starting problems and installed a new starter and it was better but I eventually installed the new battery and that was probably my problem to begin with.

My front brake pads cracked and they still worked fine but I replaced them anyway. The new pads have been modified to solve the problem by cutting a grove in the pad by the factory.

New style pad:

So overall not bad for a 5 year old car.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Administrator

One more thing that I forgot was broken wheel studs. Unfortunately this is fairly common on the GDs especially when the owner changes wheels like women change shoes.

This should not happen there is not a problem with the metal in the factory studs it's all from overtightening the lugs.

I know some people disagree but I use anti-seize paste on my studs not very much just a bit on a Q tip and spread it around. So far 30,000 km and no unintended loosening of the lugs.

So if you don't know your own strength or allow someone to use an air gun on your lugs DON'T DO it. If you can't control yourself a torque wrench is your friend.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Administrator

Default Finally something to bitch about.

Well my Jazz is 5 years old now and finally something popped up that I can bitch about.

My seat belts in the front (the rears have never been used) are moving slower and slower as they age when you take one off to get out and wait for it to roll up into the housing to stay out of the way. Most of the time on the driver side I have to "help" it roll back up or the belt just flops around half out on the drivers seat back.

But then again I'm so happy that for 5 years it's still a great little car and I can live with slow seatbelts rather than something more serious.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Well the rain is over until next April or so so it was time for a good wash and check for things that could use improvement after letting things slide in the daily rain.

Was doing a good wash and looked at my shorty antenna and it looked like it was cracked. Sure enough the rubberized/plastic covering had split lengthwise all the way from bottom to the top. The only thing holding it together was the shrink sleeve I had added to cover the space between the antenna and the base. When I started to unscrew it, to replace with the stock longer one, it fell apart in my hands.

Well it's not worth crying about as it was a cheapo knock off anyway that cost only $15.00 in 2006 so 4 years use isn't bad.

So no more short antenna until I can get to the auto parts place sometime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	repairs (1).jpg
Views:	502
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	77
click to enlarge

Name:	repairs (2).jpg
Views:	530
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	78
Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Administrator

UPDATE: I had this broken short antenna sitting on the computer table to remind myself to pick up a new one now that I had re-installed the stock long antenna.

Then I had a light bulb over the head revelation and thought to myself ..........HHHUMM if the shrink sleeve on the bottom held that section together why not slip an new section of shrink sleeve over the whole length?

So I just super glued the messed up housing back into place since the inner wire part of the antenna was fine and presto a temporary short replacement antenna.

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	85 click to enlarge

If you look closely you can see that some of the plastic has fallen off and you can see how the shrink sleeve has formed itself right into the missing area. Since the new shrink sleeve didn't close the very top part I just filled that part in with silicone to keep it water tight.

I checked it out and the radio plays just as good as before so now I can take my time looking for a replacement and not have to go back to the long stock one.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:05 PM

ming is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
Got to thinking it might be a good idea to have one spot for posting about things that have gone wrong with our cars. So if you have had problems put them in here so other can find out what has gone wrong.

To start off I think the most common problem are the "sparking units" (coil packs for you old timers) going bad. they seem to fail after about 50,000 miles and usually two need replacing. I would think that maybe one went bad but the symptoms are so slight it was not noticed until another one goes bad and the symptoms of weird idle and rough running become obvious. The parts are about $80.00 per unit but they are very easy to replace buy even an average owner.

I think the number two problem is electric power steering modules going bad and so far the vast majority have been replaced under warranty. If you want to DIY it's a BIG JOB calling for removal of the entire dash to gain access.

Another frequent complaint is shorter than expected battery life with the factory supplied batteries on USDM models. This doesn't seem quite as prevalent in other than USDM models.

I haven't checked yet but SOMETIMES when the factory calls for dash removal a good mechanic MAY be able to squirm around and do it by feel without removing the whole dash so if anybody has DIYed it please let us know how it went. And the parts are EXPENSIVE I think I saw even a used one at a pick and pull was like $500.00 os do your best to bother the dealer to get it done under warranty even if you have too many miles.
My fit's steering problem has been fixed by dealer when car was still under warranty. but now it has the missfire problem. I have replaced the spark plug to get them fix. However, after running 3 week, the problem going up again. It still has stall issue when running to 50-60mph. I purchased a old coil pack from ebay to try to find out which one coil pack is defective. I think I need to replace the 4 coil pack when I have recharge my credit card.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 AM

David is on a distinguished road

<<To start off I think the most common problem are the "sparking units" (coil packs for you old timers) going bad. they seem to fail after about 50,000 miles and usually two need replacing. I would think that maybe one went bad but the symptoms are so slight it was not noticed until another one goes bad and the symptoms of weird idle and rough running become obvious. The parts are about $80.00 per unit but they are very easy to replace buy even an average owner.>>

Hi Claymore, are you talking about spark plugs? I am an old timer so I was under the impression there was only ONE coil in an engine.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Nope the sparking units are what some describe as "coil overs". There are no "spark plug wires" anymore either. Each plug has it's own coil which is in a unit that bolts on the top of the plug. Look around the DIY section for "replacing and indexing your plugs" DIY and there are photos explaining everything.

The location of them is I think why they are failing so much right close to the engine collecting all the engine heat. At least with the old one coil systems it was normally mounted in a cooler spot and in race applications they were even sometimes mounted inside the passenger compartment to keep them away from heat.

In fact there was a post I read today on the freak site where a guy changed his plugs and the foam rubber insert from his sparkplug socket fell off and slid onto his new sparkplug and was then squashed down and left there . IT MELTED INTO A ROCK HARD BLOB OF GOO stuck to the top of the plug preventing him from removing the plug.

As our old physics classes taught us as temperatures rise in metal conductors (like inside a coil) so does resistance which means coils work less efficiently the hotter they get. And current passing through a conductor makes it's own heat just from electron flow so the hotter the coil gets the more resistance which means just current flow is generating even more heat so it's a vicious self perpetrating cycle.

Last edited by claymore; 07-12-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM

David is on a distinguished road

There's no spark plug wires... Jeez, this is a new one on me. A coil for every plug, never heard of this stuff.. I know why guys complain the batteries fail. Look at it, it's way too SMALL.