Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > DIYs

DIYs place all DIYs here

Old 06-07-2013, 02:45 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default DIY "logo" removal and painting

Well since I'm a glutton for punishment here is a short little DIY that nobody will comment on but what the heck I do them myself because they are fun.

This log has been on my Jazz almost since the first day. It's from a Suzuki they sell here that is like a Suzuki Samurai they sell in the states. I had one and liked the logo so to show everybody that my Jazz was a 5 speed and not an Auto I put one on my Jazz.

as usual click to enlarge

Click image for larger version

Name:	logo (1).jpg
Views:	393
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	406

Just being antsy during my escape hole DIY I got the bug to change it's color scheme.

It's going to be a silver base with black letters this time.

But we have to get it off the car first.

I used the good old fishing line saw method. You just CAREFULLY pry up the end if needed and pull a length of fishing line behind the logo.

Name:	logo (2).jpg
Views:	389
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	407

Then you just pull slightly on it while using a sawing motion to cut the glue.

I wrap the line around a screwdriver handle to keep the line from cutting into my hands.

Name:	logo (3).jpg
Views:	368
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	408

Just keep pulling and sawing and soon the logo will be cut free of the glue. And the next problem comes along how the heck do you get rid of the old glue.

Name:	logo (4).jpg
Views:	372
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	409

I use a screwdriver tip and paint thinner to turn the old glue back squishy. But I am going to put the logo back in the same place and don't care what it looks like after I get the glue off.

WARNING: If you are just removing the logo and going to be running NUDE (no logo) DO NOT USE ANYTHING SHARP AS IT PROBABLY WILL SCRATCH YOUR PAINT.

Name:	logo (5).jpg
Views:	396
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	410

If you want to save the paint under the logo just soften the glue with thinner (check it on a part of the paint that can't be seen to make sure the thinner you have does not remove paint) then using a piece of cloth and just keep rubbing on the old soft glue.

I like to "roll" the old glue with the rag in one direction and it gathers up into snot balls and you can grab it and pull it off.

Once you have all the glue off by rubbing with thinner (just some on the rag not dripping it only takes a little) then the cloth and you get done you have this.

Name:	logo (6).jpg
Views:	387
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	411

Note it is not completely "clean" the rest can be removed with some cleaner wax and or polishing compound but sine I'm putting the logo back in the same spot this is clean enough for me.

The next steps are for turning the color scheme around. I dragged out my super duper sanding aid as it will come into play later.

Name:	logo (7).jpg
Views:	384
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	412

Next paint the base color first.

Name:	logo (8).jpg
Views:	387
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	413

What the heck what do you have a tiny super accurate brush and a steady hand to paint the letters black or what?????????

ANNNNTTTTT the answer will be in the next installment
Old 06-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Well lets get on with today's installment of the DIY.

We left off yesterday with the logo stripped off the Jazz and painted sliver to start our conversion of the color scheme.

This shot shows the metallic in the paint really standing out in the flash.

But what the heck are those blue tails??????

as usual click on the photos to enlarge

Name:	Logo II (1).jpg
Views:	367
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	414

We will get back to the "tails" in a minute LOL.

The point is that I think I can apply the black paint without any slopping over onto where I don't want it using my method and I have in the past doing this kind off "painting" on parts that wouldn't allow for taping for many reasons.

BUT it the part in question has room for taping to prevent oopppsss moments better to be safe than sorry.

Name:	Logo II (3).jpg
Views:	345
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	416

Nice and taped up.

Now the reason we have made "tails" becomes apparent. We are going to need some way of holding the part when we apply the paint and the "tails" make for great part handling "handles".

Name:	Logo II (2).jpg
Views:	375
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	415

Now the "meat" of my painting method. I use my "flat painting assistant" but any FLAT SURFACE will do. IF YOUR PAINTING SURFACE ISN'T ANYTHING OUR OTHER HALF CHERISHES WITH ALL HER HEART.

In other words something you can get paint on without ensuring your others halves wrath.

So we have our flat surface what next? Take a piece of anything you can paint without hassle even just use your flat surface but I like to tape a piece of an old car mag and tape it down so it doesn't fly away when you spray paint at it.

Name:	Logo II (4).jpg
Views:	410
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	417

Next grab the spray can of the paint color you want the lettering to be and have your part handy so you can grab it quickly.

Then spray a layer of paint onto your flat surface or paper. If it is hot where you are you have to move fast as the paint "skims over" very quickly.

Next grab your part, and holding it straight, press it onto the fresh paint like you were "rubber stamping" it. NOT WITH A LOT OF FORCE just touch the paint and then pull up the part and make sure all the lettering has paint on them to your satisfaction.

If it's not to hot in your area if everything didn't get a coat the first time press it into a section of the fresh paint other then the part you already pressed into and check again.

If you need to use can always spray more fresh paint into a different area and try again until you get it right.

Looking nice and new. This was right after a blast of some clear to add some protection and the weird looking section laid down nice and flat before it dried.

Name:	Logo II (5).jpg
Views:	365
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	418

Next up putting it back on the Jazz in the correct position. But we have to wait a bit for this puppy to get nice and dry.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Administrator

OK let's finish this one off.

All that is left is to slap it back on the car. So be sure to wipe down the work area first of all to remove and dirt or dust.

Then I used the old fishing line plumb bob and tape to mark where it goes. Sorry in advance for the "fuzzy" photo.

as usual click the photos to enlarge

Name:	logo III (1).jpg
Views:	365
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	419

I used some good old "super glue" on the back as there is still most of the foam rubber backing still on the logo.

BUT "super glue" is FOREVER it leaves a nasty residue that will NOT come off. So if you are not 100% sure you will like your logo forever I would use something like "contact adhesive" that can be removed (not easily LOL).

Drum roll please....

Name:	logo III (2).jpg
Views:	370
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	420

Looks good to me compared to the old look

Name:	logo III (3).jpg
Views:	373
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	421

Name:	logo (4).JPG
Views:	339
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	422

Last edited by claymore; 06-10-2013 at 01:01 AM.