Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > DIYs

DIYs place all DIYs here

Old 10-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Front air dam from garage door seal

Edit: found this thread by member sandblasted freaknet and it looks like he did it but maybe there was someone before him that thought this up. http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-g...front-lip.html

Mission: to instal garage door bottom soft rubber seal to the front bar to make an air dam.

Tools needed: scissors, super glue or other adhesive, drill and bits, pop rivets and installer.

Ease of DIY: on the very easy end of the scale.

While I was in the states recently I bought a 9' garage door seal for about $9.00

It comes in a small bag and was all curled up so I took it out of the bag and left it straight on the floor overnight and it was ready to go. Then I marked the center with blue tape.

I was going to mount the part with a lip on the bottom toward the ground but found it didn't work well that way so the flat section was mounted on the bottom and it works much better.

I found the center of the plastic lip and held the rubber seal in temporary position with some tape just to get it lined up.

Then I put a small dab of super glue every couple of inches to fasten it in place. (please excuse the dirty car as it rains every day here now)

Then to hold it while the glue dried I used more tape to hold it to the lip.

I think the super glue would hold it OK but I'm not sure so I'm going to go another route. Some people used double sided tape and it seems to work for them.

But I wanted something a little stronger so I went to a local hardware store and got these universal brackets for about 30 cents each.

And some nuts, bolts, and washers for 20 cents.

I had these pop rivets and the small brackets left over from some other project and they will come in handy.

I used two brackets in the center with a bolt on each end and put a slight bend in them so when the bolts are tightened the bracket is forced flat along the whole length. I found that the plastic lip gets less wide as you move from the center towards the outside edge of the fenders.

So I then started using the pop rivets and small brackets that spread the clamping force over a wider area than a flat washer would.

You could just use the pop rivets as they are very easy to install.

And that was it almost..... after I took these photos I took off the silver looking universal brackets and painted them flat black to provide some anti-corrosion protection.

Very easy to do as I did the basic measuring and super gluing without even jacking it up but did lift one wheel for enough clearance to use the drill for the pop rivets and the bolt holes for the universal brackets.

Looks like something that the factory would install.

Very easy DIY to do and very cheap mod less than $10.00 total and it looks good.

Last edited by claymore; 10-11-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Well started the installation of my new air dam today by taking off the front bar. Had to remove the old one when I wrapped the front bar in CF vinyl.

Ha 8 bolts and two screws now that I know how to do it it takes all of 5 minutes to remove.

And to preform this feat I'm going to use only common hand tools. The yapper dog thinks that can not be done LOL.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Now that I have more free time LOL went out and got a nice new batch of pop rivets and small washers and installation, WITH COMMON HAND TOOLS ONLY, of the new door seal air dam is coming right along. got some universal brackets and gave then a nice couple of coats of flat black paint to prevent rust and later today or tomorrow this baby will be finished.

Maybe I will take a nap this afternoon.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Well we are up to the part where some photos would be nice so here we go.

My dinning room work area one can see all my
common hand tools used LOL. Note my plastic stool that I re-enforced the legs with a cross bar of threaded rod. since I did this they can't move apart on tile floor and break. Too bad won't have another broken one so I can make a DIY cowl scoop for the troll he loves them so much.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (800x497).jpg
Views:	450
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	436 click photos to enlarge

Measuring where it goes. Then hold it in place with tape WARNING be careful with the tape some tape will pull off parts of the seal so don't use it on any area that will be noticeable.

Name:	002 (800x533).jpg
Views:	414
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	437

This is how I attached it. Showing the painted universal brackets. Note I did add one more rivet in the middle.

Name:	003 (800x407).jpg
Views:	481
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	438

I painted the rivets with some flat black spray paint sprayed into the lid then used a Qtip to apply. from this angle you can't even see them.

Name:	004 (800x392).jpg
Views:	418
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	439

Close up.

Name:	005 (800x411).jpg
Views:	435
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	440

All mounted but ONE PROBLEM..... the end bowed out and looked bad.

Name:	006 (800x639).jpg
Views:	436
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	441

So again using common household items I cut up an old aluminum coat hanger and made some supports that pulled in the end just right.

Name:	007 (800x600).jpg
Views:	395
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	442

I started by using super glue to get them adjusted then gave them a coat of epoxy for better hold. Then more flat black paint and done.

I used a razor cutter last time to trim the end but this time experimented on a left over piece and found the scissors made a better cut this photo is BEFORE the trim job.

Name:	008 (800x600).jpg
Views:	443
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	443

Done!!! Looks great. This time I put the wider edge of the seal on the outside so it is seen and it looks better than the less wide section on the outside.

Name:	009 (800x600).jpg
Views:	465
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	444

One more.

Name:	010 (800x600).jpg
Views:	461
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	445

Have one more photo but this is all that will fit on one reply back in a second.

Last edited by claymore; 11-09-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Back again for the last photo LOL.

This one shows how nice it goes with the CF vinyl and the nice straight cut on the back edge.

Name:	011 (800x600).jpg
Views:	453
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	446 click to enlarge

All and all a very nice cheap DIY that just about anyone can accomplish. I THINK I get about 1-2 better MPG with it done but can't be positive due to all the variables. But for $10.00 you can't go wrong.

One bit of advice DO IT WITH THE BAR OFF AND ON THE FLOOR. It is only 8 bolts and two screws to remove it and it is so much easier to do then when it is on the car like I did the first time.

Last edited by claymore; 11-09-2013 at 11:57 PM.