Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > DIYs

DIYs place all DIYs here

Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default ...insight sprark plugs...

Since we are on the subject of indexing, I found this interesting:

http://www.insightcentral.net/encycl...parkplugs.html

Looks like Honda agrees that indexing is worth the effort.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Great link and it's good to have the Honda guys point out what I have been saying for years. I looked at my plugs for the letters but no letter on NGK ones. Anybody get plugs with a letter on the top like on the link?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Well it's been over a month and I pulled the plug that was black and checked it again and IT'S CLEAN as a whistle so I guess it was the spray cleaning of the TB that made it black.

There is a darn catch 22 to reading your plugs after spray cleaning your TB. If you clean the TB first it could make any number of plugs black. But if you change the plugs first then your new plugs could end up being black.

So I guess if you have the time the best thing to do is clean the TB one day then drive it around on the old plugs for awhile then change to new plugs after a day or two to give a chance for the old plugs to get cleaned off a bit.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 PM

08MRFit is on a distinguished road

This is nice post. I will be doing this myself.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:39 AM

bigsmitty is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the write up. How is one to know if the coil packs are malfunctioning? Cheers
Old 03-15-2016, 04:22 AM

bigsmitty is on a distinguished road

I looked up the symptoms of coil pack failure for anyone's reference:http://www.doityourself.com/stry/6-s...n-coil-failure. Think mine are fine, cars been running great for me since purchased-not a single non-routine maintenance issue. Cheers all.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Administrator

The biggest tip off seems to be a misfire occasionally and rough running under load. Or simply mileage over 50,000 miles is when they MAY start acting up.

If you get a bad idle or stalling that usually is needing a valve clearance adjustment.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 AM
Administrator

ow is the time to talk about "INDEXING" your plugs and my funny looking socket setup.

If you are not interested in getting the last ounce of performance from your engine and just want to read about changing plugs skip this and go to the next section.

Name:  0261024x768.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  22.1 KB

The big secret that is "indexing" your plugs is only making sure the "Open" part of the spark plug is "pointing" toward the intake valve. Not much of a "Secret" anyone can do it.

If the open end is in the correct direction the spark ignites the fuel/air charge a couple milliseconds earlier giving the flame front more time to travel across the combustion chamber. OK so we are only talking very minor gains but you have to screw the plugs in any way so why not get them screwed in the best possible direction? It only takes a few minutes to mark your socket or extension so why not do the best job you can?

What you have to do is mark your socket with masking tape or paint or what ever you have on hand so you can know the direction of the open end of the plugs electrode while you screw them in. In the photo you can see that I use a "Dot" conveniently manufactured into the ratchet extension that lines up with the open end of the electrode. You can use tape or a magic marker anything that you can mark the extension so you know where the open end of the sparkplug is.

You only have to do it once just put the new plugs into the socket with the open end lined up with the mark as they are all built the same and will line up once in the socket.

If you look closely in this photo you can see the "Dot" on the extension pointing forward which means the open end of the electrode is facing the valve.

WARNING: When you are doing this DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE PLUG TO GET THERE.

Name:  0351024x768.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  28.0 KB

This is what you are trying to get once the plug is turned in tight.

Normally you put a thin coat of anti-seize on just the threads of the plug NONE on the very end or electrode then you screw in a new plug finger tight until it comes up against the washer and then about 1/4 turn with the socket and ratchet to snug it up.

This much is enough for one plug.

Name:  0131024x768.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  14.0 KB

If you are using a spark plug ratchet they are fairly long and you CAN strip your threads if you really crank down on it. So try to get lined up in this direction but don't go over 1/2 turn to do it. If it won't turn this far try it another hole but don't OVER TIGHTEN them.

Name:  0321024x768.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  41.3 KB

Notice that in the Jazz Vtec if the open part of the electrode is pointed straight toward the front of the engine it is pointed right at the intake valve. (I know my ratchet is a little rusty but I got it new in 1965 so I guess if you were 41 years old you would be a little rusty also).

All you Vtec guys are done you isdi guys have 4 more plugs to change.

OK you non-performance guys can start reading again.

Now all you have to do is reverse the process carefully pushing the spark units back down the holes until they give a slight click like your old plug wires used to do making sure the screw holes line up coat just the bottom 1/4 inch of the threads with anti-seize and screw the 10 mm bolts back in place.

You can see in this photo that only part of the threads go into the head so that is the area to put the anti-seize.

PHOTO MISSING: all it showed is the THREADED END OF THE PLUG. Apply the anti seize just to the bottom 1/4 in of so and don't get any onto the open area or tip of the plug

Reconnect the wires carefully in the correct order (very hard to incorrectly wire as the wires are in a wire run). Slide the cable run clip back on to it's bracket, replace the engine cover.

Count and gather up all your tools (it's a bitch to forget a wrench and have it bounce down on the road) and fire that baby up and listen to it purr with it's new "indexed" plugs.

Last edited by claymore; 07-26-2017 at 06:45 AM.