Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > DIYs

DIYs place all DIYs here

Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 AM

Salina is on a distinguished road
Default DIY steering column cover removal '08 Fit

Hi all,
(skip to DIY if you don't want to read my intro)
I recently took my Fit in to have two recalls tended to, the one for the low beam headlights and the one for the power window master switch. I originally made the appointment as my high beams stopped working, after replacing bulbs, I noticed the high beams would not come on when engine was off, and testing further, the same thing with the low beams. Only when engine was running would both beams work properly, and even this was intermitten as often I would have to pull forward to flash the high beams, release, to get the low beams to come on. I thought this problem was associated with the former recall. I tried to remove the steering column covers but was afraid I would break something, so I stopped trying. I didn't have a steering wheel puller, and understand that the one use torque screws (I think they are called non-reusable prevailing torque nuts) for the air bag would have to be discarded and replaced with new ones. So, I figured I'd let the repair technician fix it.

After arriving at the dealership, I asked the repair tech supervisor if the steering wheel would be removed for this repair. He told me that one of his technicians had a knack for removing just the steering wheel column covers without having to remove the wheel. Later, the tech supervisor said they inspected the power window master switch and the headlight switch and connectors for the recalls, and found no problems but went ahead and installed the parts for both recalls: protective skirting over the power window master switch and wiring harness repair. The problem with my headlights was not due to the wirirng harness or connectors, but the switch was bad. That wasn't covered under the recall, but the district rep. happened to be there that day and okay'd to have the switch replaced under warranty, no charge. Thank you, lady Honda rep! I'm learning that this dealership treats you well.

The switch was ordered. The next day I wanted to see if I could remove the steering column cover since it should be easier to do after recently being removed. It took me some minutes to do, as I had no idea where to push or pull. After I removed the top and bottom cover I made note of where the tabs were located. I've repaired a few coffeemakers and knew about locking tabs, how easily they can be snapped off, and if you are careful, opening it up once you will know how to open it up again. I had looked on the internet for answers, but found none, except for one hint for an American car, the person mentioned "just squeeze", so I figured that column covers on just about all makes of cars would have similar connections and used tabs to snap together.

DIY: This is my how-to. You might find another way that works for you.

First remove the negative cable terminal from neg. battery post under the hood.

Second, remove the three screws under bottom column cover.

What you'll find inside covers:

With the fingers of both hands gripped under bottom cover toward rear, gently pull forward to cock the bottom cover just barely over the ignition switch face, about a quarter of an inch or less. (Note: The photo shows the cover further forward of the ignition switch face as I had the tabs dislodged at this point. You only want to pull cover just barely past the face as mentioned previously.) eh, photo management site didn't transfer text clearly. Green text repeat of instructions, "leaning towards right of steering wheel, push gently with both hands to depress bottom tabs. Push in then downward"

Now that you have this dislodged passed the face, loosen the steering wheel height adjustment handle to where the steering wheel drops as low as it will go.

With upper body to right of steering wheel, and turned facing the work area, push with both palms at the spots marked with an X. It took some umph to do this. You are pushing on the top area of bottom cover to dislodge the two female tabs shown in photo. One of the tabs is on the front face of the bottom cover, which is behind the steering wheel, but this can be dislodged as you carefully push in at both marked areas. Once that side drops apart, you can now easily unsnap the left side by doing the same, working from that side and pushing with both palms to dislodge the tabs. I then removed the top and bottom, checked over the the stuff inside that area, and replaced the halves, making sure they snapped together. If the anchor pins are aligned then you know you are dead on, and can then snap both halves together. Install screws. I did this twice just to make sure I got it right.

Not sure what to call those pins, er, anchor pins, seat pins?

Another photo:

P.S. I wonder what that "PUSH" with arrow is on the cover where the ignition switch is located?

Now you can access the combination light switch and the windshield washer switch.

Last edited by Salina; 03-24-2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: forgot a step
Old 03-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Good one. Nice work but if you had been around our family a bit earlier you could have saved yourself some work and found this trick in my "installing analog gauges" DIY. But now it has it's own thread and that will maybe help somebody else find it easier.

Thanks for the work as we all know it takes a bit of work doing it and hosting photos and the whole ball of wax involved.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:42 AM

Salina is on a distinguished road

Thanks, manxman and claymore! Manxman, I had to edit my write up several times to be more concise, being concise not easy for me, but have learned a few hints from hubby about technical writing. I always write too much.

Yep, claymore, I did look over all of the DIY's to make sure I wasn't repeating another write up and will have to check yours out on installing analog gauges.

What initially got me started on this was reading about the low beams recall at the Fit Freak forum and a fellow mentioned the technician let him watch the repair and he simply popped the top. I think it was that same person or someone else on that thread mentioned that the mounts were broken on the column cover when this job was done. Yikes! That was why I asked the technician if they were going to remove the steering wheel first, as per service manual instructions, and when he said, 'no, we have a guy that has a knack with removing the cover without removing the wheel', well, that somewhat made me reluctant to let them do it, fearing they would snap the mounts (tabs). Now I know it can be done by being very careful, but I wouldn't want to be removing the covers too often as the more you dislodge plastic tabs, the more you weaken them, especially if you are not careful.

As a side note, I misunderstood the tech supervisor and thought I would have to pay for the new switch and the labour costs. That is why I had to see if I could do it myself, only later to find out it will be covered under warranty.

I always liked books with pictures
Regards, Lisa
Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

I have had mind on and off probably twenty times and as long as you are careful in my opinion it would be not too easy to break a tab.