Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > The Lounge > Events and Meets

Events and Meets Post upcoming meets and events here.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:09 PM
manxman

Thumbs down The Great SoCal/NorCal 7/31 Fit Meet (not)

For the NorCal (adult) group, I have organized either 5 or 6 Fit Meets since 2007. When I organize a meet, that's exactly what you get-- an organized meet.

Unfortunately, that's not what the poor schmucks who drove all the way up here from SoCal got. 20 Fits being led by the blind, to a beach area park where there wasn't parking for one Fit.

Macbuddy and TFBDesigns were there, and may have something to say in this thread, but at least they didn't have a full day's drive to go back home.

And the little boy who made so much noise on the freaky site thread about coming (you know, the one who went from His parent's Fit, to a dented used WRX and then to his daddy's DC5) guess what? Didn't show up.
So at least one good thing happened. For Mike, Tim and Rachel's sake, I hope that things improved and they found a proper site for the meet.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:35 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default The Great SoCal/NorCal 7/31 Fit Meet (YES)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxman View Post
For the NorCal (adult) group, I have organized either 5 or 6 Fit Meets since 2007. When I organize a meet, that's exactly what you get-- an organized meet.

Unfortunately, that's not what the poor schmucks who drove all the way up here from SoCal got. 20 Fits being led by the blind, to a beach area park where there wasn't parking for one Fit.

Macbuddy and TFBDesigns were there, and may have something to say in this thread, but at least they didn't have a full day's drive to go back home...
Whoa manxman...slow down here. True, this meet did have a significant setback...there was no place to park once we got to the beach. The meet leaders quickly acknowledged the problem, and sprang into action. Within minutes, a new venue was secured! Honestly, I don't know how the heck they found that alternate "spot" in such a short span of time. I have to give those guys a lot of credit, they knew they had to find a home for ~20 Fits "STAT"...and you know what?...they came through...absolutely amazing guys!

Personally, I think that the eventual site was perfectly suited for a Fit meet/photo-shoot, maybe even better than the original proposed beach site. Once again, Kudos to the meet leaders of this event!
As for being "lead by the blind," not exactly true. Yeah, on the way to the beach, we did get a bit disoriented and confused at times by those twisty mountain roads...but hey, whenever we got rolling, the pace was a bit more spirited than one would expect! Our leading Fit driver was somehow able to see past all those blind turns, and was able to control a roller coaster pace that innocent bystanders might have mistakenly viewed as a "runaway, 16 car freight train!" What a blast!

At the picnic site, there was plenty of parking...and with 16 Fits all lined up, we pretty much looked like a Honda dealership on the corner of Brommer and 30th Avenue. The picnic area had at least 5 tables, and a huge BBQ pit available upon request. Plenty of grassy areas, 3-4 tennis courts, a ball field and even an elaborate playground for kids.
So, manxman, in order to have accurately described this great event, you really needed to have been there!

-macbuddy-

PS-photos and maybe videos to come...or checkout these photos at the Freaky site:
The Great SoCal/NorCal 7/31 Fit Meet

Last edited by macbuddy; 08-01-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 AM
manxman

So, for other readers, macbuddy and I had dinner together after the big meet, and I told him that I had posted an exaggeratedly negative thread- and asked him to post some real info. The reason for my OP was the fact that I had refused to have anything to do with this meet, but still received two phone calls from people who were there, asking me where could 20 Fits go to find adequate parking and picnic facilities.

As Mike and I discussed at dinner, neither he nor I would ask people to drive an hour, let alone 7-8 hours from 450 miles away, and bring them to a place where the only parking was illegal in a fire lane with neighbors yelling at the Fit owners to get the hell out!

I am happy for the attendees that this finally worked out well, and give the route planner, "Don" (someone who is a total stranger to me and may remain so forever), credit for having learned a good lesson from the large number of angry, hungry meet participants.

One of my callers asking for help asked me to come anyway since the little freak boy didn't show up. I politely refused because I was angry for the sake of my friends who were there. People who "plan" this kind of event are responsible for the safety and comfort, at the bare minimum, of the people who come. You don't put present and potential friends in a situation that risks expensive parking fines and delays the big meal for hours for people who have been driving for hours, or all night, to get there on time.

Again, my original post was an intentional smack in the face to wake up past and future meet planners. And again, I give credit to "Don" for rescuing the situation and give him the assumption that he won't mess up the same way again.

It is a good thing that I stayed away because after the phone calls, I could not foresee the eventual happy outcome.

Last edited by manxman; 08-01-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 AM

TFBDesigns is on a distinguished road

Even though we had a couple detours, everything came together nicely. The spots where we all stopped in the road actually made for some great photo ops. I think it was the overall good attitudes of people that made the meet come together instead of getting hung up on minor glitches. Check out the pics I can't wait until the next one.

A LOT OF PICTURES HERE:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TFB-De...6603957?ref=ts
Old 08-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

That spot in the photos looks familiar is this the same spot another meet was held?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 AM

^^The first pic is at highway 9 and 35 skyline blvd in Saratoga. Second pic is at a park in Santa Cruz. It was on 30th and Brommer.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
That spot in the photos looks familiar is this the same spot another meet was held?
For the guy in Thailand who hasn't been here, the answer is "no"- different eventual meet site for the photos.

Nice photos Tim!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Thanks Dave. ^ I have some cool video clips too. Will post video soon.