Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > DIYs

DIYs place all DIYs here

Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 AM

der Mond is on a distinguished road

I just had my intake manifold off and sure was impressed by how much oil residue is there. Thanks for the thread.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Yea I had thought about doing it for awhile but it wasn't the first thing on my list until I took my intake off to run my valves and found a bunch of oil in the lowest portion of the intake where oil would puddle.

And mine works. As for the other way of hooking it up that the people on that other site have done and been recommending no results posed yet.......don't hold your breath.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Well it looks like collection of liquid oil may be heat related also. I have been checking it regularly and only small amounts have been being collected. But today I got stuck in heavy traffic for 20 minutes or so and let the car run while checking the air in my tires and the engine was running hotter than normal way up to maybe 185-190. Got home and checked as usual and now there is a blob about the size of a silver dollar maybe 1/8 inch deep.

But the good news is in about 2 months the catch can has prevented so far two large silver dollar 1/8 inch deep sized blobs of liquid oil from being put back into the intake manifold.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Had a busy day and was in and out of 4-5 different spots with slow city driving and one short 45-50 mph stretch. Ended up with a quarter sized blob in the cleaned can. So it works at slow speeds also.

I think it's safe to say the PCV system works more during slow speed, and high speed trips and less at normal cruising non-stop and go speeds.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Administrator

I think enough data has been collected (along with used oil) to call this one a success.

A catch can inserted into the PCV system on a 1.5 Vtec engine works at all engine speeds and conditions removing liquid oil that otherwise would be injected into the engine intake manifold. This excess oil would have diluted the fuel air mixture with heavier hydrocarbons rather than pure fuel/air mixture.

The removal of the heavy hydrocarbons means more complete combustion of the fuel/air mixture resulting in less tendency to detonate which allows the ECM to add more timing which adds more power as a result of the increased timing.

For the "treehuggers" out there this catch can system also helps improve air quality by not burning the heavy hydrocarbons and collects them instead for proper disposal at a later time.

On the other hand the catch can inserted into the breather system has yet to provide any results the owner wanting to "Track the car" first indicating to me there has been no appreciable collection of liquid oil in everyday driving... the predicted result

Last edited by claymore; 05-29-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Well it's been awhile since an update. This is the amount of oil collected in about 14 days worth of normal driving.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oil.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	154 click to enlarge

Still working fine. The collected oil is cleaner now that when first installed must have had some dust in the old hose I used.

The bottom of the lid is getting a slight discoloration so the oil must be flying around up there too. Note the formerly clear silicone sealer sealing the black hose is starting to yellow a bit must be from the heat or oil.

Cleaned up real easy just took a paper towel and pushed it down to the bottom with one of those freebie wooden chopsticks you get with chinese food waited a few seconds and removed it along with the oil ... done.

Last edited by claymore; 07-22-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:04 AM

nicepeta is on a distinguished road

damn I like it!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 AM
Administrator

And it not only looks good it actually works good too.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:41 PM

Carbuff2 is on a distinguished road

Nice Mod, Claymore. If you ever see a Blaze Orange Metallic thermos, give us a shout.

My only thought (me being an ex-racer) is that you are not revving the engine hard enough or long enough. Otherwise you would have caught more oil in there!

LOL
'99 Acura TL, AT.

Last edited by Carbuff2; 09-08-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Administrator

I rev to redline more than once every time I drive the car it's not babied at all.

It is working as planed and has collected oil and been emptied 4 times already just from daily use with slow in traffic, caught in traffic jams, and high speed expressway driving.

It is collecting from the PCV system and there shouldn't be that much oil vapor to collect if your rings are still in good shape.