Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > DIYs

DIYs place all DIYs here

Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

It just occurred to me that there is another reason for the amount of oil collected. We are lucky that the Fit stock has a built in oil mist separator soooooo less oil to separate.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Well it's been awhile for an update so here it is. While pondering what to do first in my upcoming maintenance I spotted my catch can and looked inside to see how much oil had been collected since my last check and remembered it been ONE YEAR since it's been installed.

It's working as it should be as it's been installed in the proper position (not on the breather hose).

If I had not emptied it several times and just let the oil collect there would have been about an inch in the bottom of the can.

In the overall scheme of things that is not very much BUT that just goes to show that my engine is still in good shape and isn't putting too much "blow-by" oil into the pcv system and then back into the combustion chamber and intake manifold.

But if one is striving for perfection it's a nice investment in the $10.00 it cost to build and install it and I would do it again in a heart beat. Absolutely no reason to spend over a hundred dollars for a store bought one unless you are going for the bling.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:41 AM

der Mond is on a distinguished road

There is a place in the world for perfectionists, esteemed elder.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Many thanks to another esteemed member of the "always do the best you can" elders club.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 AM

David is on a distinguished road

I'm scratching my head wondering what in the world is a catch can and what does it do?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Administrator

When any engine runs it produces combustion by-products and some escape past the engines rings down into the crankcase. Also there is an oil "mist" that is produced by the spinning crankshaft inside the crankcase building up pressure. these different "fumes" if you will cause drag robbing power and need to be "evacuated" somehow.

The stock Honda system is your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. It uses engine vacuum from the intake manifold to "suck" the fumes and oil mist up the inside of the engine block into a small chamber that separates the liquid "Junk" from the fumes and lets the liquids (which are heavier) drain back into the crankcase.

The fumes are then directed back into the intake system where they are mixed with incoming air and re-burned in the combustion chamber.

The stock PCV system works pretty good for being as simple as it is on a stock vehicle driven by "granny drivers".

However it also injects these "combustion by-products" back into the combustion chamber (in older cars before about the 70's this junk was released into the air you breath) which dilutes the fuel air mixture with junk that has already been burned and has very little "combustion possibilities" left so you end up with less power.

When I removed my intake manifold to "run" my valves
(see http://www.hondafitforums.com/showthread.php?t=1365 for photos)
I found LIQUID OIL collecting on the inside of my intake manifold. This is oil that was not separated by the stock drain back system and injected back into the intake system where it collects at the bottom of the intake manifold curve.

I must say I DO NOT drive like a Granny and hit redline a lot every time I drive (to keep down any carbon buildup in the combustion chamber) so I'm producing more than normal amounts of "blow-by" and any Forced induction like turbo charging or supercharging make for even more.

So a catch can is an improvement over the stock system removing more of the junk from the intake system and the engine runs more efficiently making more power since the incoming fuel/air mixture has much less "combustion by-products"diluting the charge.

As you can see from the photos quite a bit of liquid oil is removed and captured over the stock system.

If you drive slower than I do and have a fairly new engine the amount of extra power you gain using a catch can is very small.

I'm just one of the nerds that want to have my engine running as efficiently as possible and love doing DIYs so the decision to install one on my car was a no-brainer but I didn't want to spend $150-200 for a "store bought" one so I made my own.

Last edited by claymore; 07-13-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:21 PM

I feel like I'm reading popular mechanics. What's the top speed you've had your Fit up to? My odometer hasn't turned 600 mils yet so I am extra gentle on the engine. I'm guilty, so many people tell me I drive like an old lady.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Administrator

On one road trip I thought I would find out and since our speedometers are in Kilometers per hour I hit 200 KPH and that converts to 124.3 MPH

It got up to about 110 mph pretty quickly but the climb to 124 took a bit longer. And there was still more to go but I figured that was enough for one day.

And David welcome to the "mature users club" just checked and your just one year younger than me.

Last edited by claymore; 07-13-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
On one road trip I thought I would find out and since our speedometers are in Kilometers per hour I hit 200 KPH and that converts to 124.3 MPH

It got up to about 110 mph pretty quickly but the climb to 124 took a bit longer. And there was still more to go but I figured that was enough for one day.

And David welcome to the "mature users club" just checked and your just one year younger than me.
Thanks for the welcome Claymore. A hundred ten in a Fit. Your a brave man. To me a Fit is a light weight economy car that I bought because it's roomy and good on gas. Kilometers huh, where you living?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Directly on the other side of the earth from the east coast of the USA.