Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > DIYs

DIYs place all DIYs here

Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM
manxman

A locking fuel filler door would certainly help the situation, but it only takes a thief quick twist with a screwdriver to pop the door lock (and screw up your paint) to get at the fuel. Personally, I would prefer the locking door that opens with a lever in the cabin. Our Scion has that.

For whatever reason, the size of the Fit fuel door and the space around the cap threads in the fuel filler are so small that most of these "easy fix" aftermarket holders are not going to fit. As touchy as Fits are with warning lights about loose gas caps, any aftermarket gadget that fits around the threaded, sealing part of the gas cap stem is bound to cause problems.

As I have previously posted, I don't have a problem with forgetting to replace my locking cap before driving away.

But if I really HAD to attach a tether, I would use a small sheet metal screw with a carefully drilled pilot hole in the plastic paddles that make up the top of the locking gas cap and are what you use to turn the cap open or closed. I would use a plastic chain or cable (non-scratching to painted surfaces) that would attach to the small screw in the top of the cap, and attach the tether to the original tether mounting spot on the fuel door.

Aha! I just posted this idea on another forum on the same subject. If I decide to do this, I will use some small gauge, very flexible insulated electrical wire as the tether, and attach it to the spot on the inside of the fuel filler cavity where the OEM tether used to be. Then I will use a crimp-on ring terminal that has a loose fit to hold the tether to the cap with the previously mentioned screw. In fact, I like this idea so much, and it is so inexpensive, that even though I don't drive off with my gas cap still on the roof, I'm going to make the tether some time in the next week or so.

Last edited by manxman; 03-21-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

The Asia spec Jazz has a filler door that locks when the key is off so we don't have to worry about locking gas caps.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 AM

sooznd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxman View Post

If I decide to do this, I will use some small gauge, very flexible insulated electrical wire as the tether, and attach it to the spot on the inside of the fuel filler cavity where the OEM tether used to be. Then I will use a crimp-on ring terminal that has a loose fit to hold the tether to the cap with the previously mentioned screw. In fact, I like this idea so much, and it is so inexpensive, that even though I don't drive off with my gas cap still on the roof, I'm going to make the tether some time in the next week or so.
Manx- sounds like a really good solution to the tether issue.
I might try this over the summer, since I am not really "attached" i.e."tethered" to my locking gas cap (in case I screw it up).
Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Administrator

While I was washing my Jazz today checked and found out either my lock on the filler door isn't working or I never had locking filler door in the first place. I'm 90% sure I had it at one time and I reached in and there seemed to be a mechanism inside the fender so I will have to explore this further when I do my maintenance.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default I like your idea even better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooznd View Post
Macbuddy- very clever solution!

I have the locking gas gap sitting in my garage since there was no way to attach it. The locking cap is for a Honda Element, I wonder if there is a Honda part # for a matching tether.

sooznd, I liked your idea so much, I started to search the Honda Element Forums. Here is what I found:

Element Locking Gas Cap Tether
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Good find.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:22 PM

the_stig is on a distinguished road
Default Locking gas cap as factory option

Hi, this is my first time in this forum and also my first comment. I noticed that you are talking about a locking fuel cap, but my '09 Fit already has a locking pin that activates automatically when you lock the car. Have you checked that already? if you open the little door and you press the lock button in the keyfob, you will be able to see a little pin sliding that will prevent the door from being opened.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:54 PM

skittle is on a distinguished road

You must have a different model 2009 than mine which has a latch on the gas cap door for a lock, but there is no pin to secure the door shut.

I'm jealous.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:01 PM

sooznd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig View Post
Hi, this is my first time in this forum and also my first comment. I noticed that you are talking about a locking fuel cap, but my '09 Fit already has a locking pin that activates automatically when you lock the car. Have you checked that already? if you open the little door and you press the lock button in the keyfob, you will be able to see a little pin sliding that will prevent the door from being opened.

We are referring to the USDM model. Are you in the United States?
My 2010 Fit has no such locking feature. Whether I push the lock on the key fob or not, you can still push on the gas door and it will open. Perhaps yours is an aftermarket install- did you buy your car new?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:59 AM

the_stig is on a distinguished road

I think I attached the pics, I hope you can see them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0857.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	86.0 KB