Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > DIYs

DIYs place all DIYs here

Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Rear bumper air release holes

One WARNING: use a face-mask when cutting or grinding plastic. And eye protection when using a grindstone.

I have been thinking about this for some time but I had no luck in finding some "covers" in CF that I had seen on the roads around here.

MacBuddy gave me a little push to get started with his DIY on rear bumper strakes.

So here we go. This one will be done as I make progress so stand by for updates.

I bought some CF type wrap vinyl locally for $4.00 and had enough plexiglass left over from one of my other "projects" so here we go.

I had thought of using a license plate as my "pattern" but turns out they are way too big. So then I thought the bottom of a box of kleenex would be good but that was a little large also.

Then I found that the side of the box was just right.

I started the ball rolling by finding the center of the bumper cover. It's easy enough to do just used some fishing line with a small wrench as my "plumb" line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	covers (1).jpg
Views:	529
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	320click to enlarge

Then I tried the bottom and top of a kleenex box and moved them up and down and side to side until they were centered but alas they looked huge for my taste and will not use them.

Name:	covers (2).jpg
Views:	492
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	321click to enlarge

Then I tired the sides of the kleenex box and they were perfect.

Name:	covers (3).jpg
Views:	456
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	322click to enlarge

So I started looking through our spare drinking glasses for a proper size glass to use to cut some right sized holes and had glasses everywhere on the couch which caused Mrs. Claymore to give me the "stink eye" that wives everywhere use on their husbands when they are doing something "outside the box". But I found a shot glass that was perfect and cut some holes.

Name:	covers (4).jpg
Views:	514
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	323click to enlarge

So pretty good start on this project and I got under the car a bit and looked and felt around and there are no obstructions to cutting the real holes in this area and nothing that would look weird or out of place so we are good to go.

I measured and marked the plexiglass to cut to the right size and that is next cutting the plexiglass.

So here we are going to cut the plexiglass. I have this nice piece of ceramic tile (that I got for free out of somebody's trash) that I use for underneath things so I don't cut anything valuable underneath like a table top and for making straight cuts.

Since this is not my first time using very thin plexiglass I clamped it to the ceramic tile with a chunk of wood on top to hold it steady while cutting so it doesn't crack. (more on this later).

Note the nice handle you can slide a hacksaw blade into and adjust it to the length you want a very handy tool.

Name:	close (1).jpg
Views:	476
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	324click to enlarge

After the basic shape was cut out using the hacksaw I clamped the two pieces together and sanded the edges so the two pieces are the exact same shape and added some nice round corners using a grindstone.

Name:	close (2).jpg
Views:	432
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	325click to enlarge

Then back inside and using my trusty free shot glass I carefully marked out the holes all centered and lined up with the proper space between the ends and holes. I marked them with magic marker then used my circuit tester very pointed end and scribed the outside of the holes.

Name:	close (3).jpg
Views:	458
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	326

Things were going TOO well and I thought I would use a drill and make a series of holes around the edge of the holes BAD MOVE. This stuff is so thin while drilling one hole the bit snagged while cutting thought the last bit and DISASTER the piece cracked apart.

Fortunately a bit of superglue took care of it and since this will be wrapped you will never see the cracks. WHEW.

So with the parts glued back together I used the cutoff wheel on my dremel tool and made a series of cuts to start the holes.

If you look real close you can see the cracks in the top piece and my W.E.B. Griffin novel under the pieces.

Name:	close (4).jpg
Views:	474
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	327click to enlarge

Next make the holes round and even

STAY TUNED FOR MORE PROGRESS

Last edited by claymore; 05-21-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough

Dang!... it cracked? Too bad you didn't have access to a hole saw. I am thinking that that tool would have made the hole drilling part of your project sooo much easier.
I can't wait to learn the results of this experiment. BTW, how will we know if this mod helps airflow? Coast down test? Mileage test? Top speed?
Anyway, now that you are moving along so steadily with this "air release" project, you are motivating me to start work on my "belly pan" mod.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Administrator

It's going to be hard to measure any gains with this one. With just these few holes results may be minimal. But I don't think racing teams would drill useless holes in their expensive race cars if there wasn't something to gain from doing it.

Hummm DIY wind tunnel naw that is over the top even for me.

I thought of using my hole saw but I have never had good luck making holes with one in material this thin.

And I actually ENJOY cutting and hand shaping "stuff" I think if I had to start life over again I would be a fabricator next time around.

For today's work final cutting and shaping.

First the outlines were done and were left off yesterday making the holes. I won't bore everybody with photos of dremelling out the holes but I did want to show off my patented pepper can wrapped in sandpaper round hole device.

Please note my "high tech" sanding bench.

Note the two pieces are clamped together so they will be carbon copies of each other. Not much sanding was needed as I'm a wizard with my dremel tool.

Name:	real close (1).jpg
Views:	386
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	328click to enlarge

This is a photo of one way of using my free out of the trash sanding aid. Put it down and lay a wet piece of sandpaper on it and sand away nice and flat and straight. I stood it up to do the long and short edges.

Name:	real close (3).jpg
Views:	372
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	329click to enlarge

And DONE two matching covers. If you look close you can see where it cracked and was glued back together. If I was going to paint them I would have started over but since these will be wrapped and the cracks will not show when finished.

Name:	real close (4).jpg
Views:	374
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	330click to enlarge.

Next up my first attempt at vinyl "wrapping".

Last edited by claymore; 05-21-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:19 AM
Administrator

"OK people that's a WRAP" sorry I always want to say that.

Had a fine day wrapping the fabricated covers. Not too hard to do and no more cracks showing.

Wrap came with glue on the back and it worked fine even in the corners no extra glue was needed.

Laid the wrap down on glass table top and laid the cover on it no wrinkles.

The corners needed a few cuts to make them lay flat but since when I was a kid I worked for a carpet installer it wasn't too hard to do.

The holes were easy just made a bunch of cuts close to the edge but not over it so it looked like a daisy and the pedals folded over nice with no wrinkles.

That's a one foot ruler so you can get some idea of the size.

Name:	WRAP 1.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	331 click to enlarge

Nice and smooth but there is one very tiny area, less than a pinhead, that bulges up a bit but standing behind the car when they are on I don't think it will be noticeable.

Two to go please.

Name:	WRAP.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	332 click to enlarge.

All and all very easy to do and the vendor sells the wrap in a bigger chunk enough to do my front bar in two sections. HUMMM

Forgot to let you know I tried a test piece on a spray can top and then sprayed it with clear laquer. Looks shinier BUT when you look at it straight on the CF design disappears because the paint fills up the not deep embossed design in the vinyl. If you look from the sides or at an angle it's ok but not straight on so I will not be using the clear .

Next up by some fancy fasteners and install the covers.

Last edited by claymore; 05-21-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:59 PM

This is the point in the project where I would "Flake." I don't think that I could get myself to cut holes into a perfectly healthy bumper!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Today was going to be the day for the major surgery BUT the stupid motorcycle shop where I buy my "fancy" fasteners was CLOSED for the day BOO.

You can't be too scared you already cut holes for your DIY rear diffuser.

I think I came up with a way to test this when it's done. I am going to tape a plastic shopping bag over the holes then drive and see if it fills with air.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 AM

Set up a camera back there and video the drive. Hopefully we will witness the deployment of 6 parachutes!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:11 AM
Administrator

I think I MAY have to put a small release hole in the bag. I'm not sure but once they fill up there is nowhere for the incoming air to go so it would be like no holes but with a small hole the air will come in hopefully at a faster rate then what escapes out the small hole resulting in a full bag.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:39 AM
Administrator

"Houston all systems check go for HOLES"

Well today is the big day we are finished.[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Done (1).jpg
Views:	431
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	333[/ATTACH]

First up was getting it in the right position centered and up and down. This is an old trick from my bodyshop days. Put the tape at the measurement you want then put the piece up to the tape edges. These are held in place with a rolled up on itself piece of tape.

Name:	Done (1).jpg
Views:	431
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	333 as usual click the photos to enlarge

I first figured out where the mounting holes were going in the covers then drilled them out. Then when the holes are drilled you can put the bolts in to mark the BIG HOLES.

Name:	Done (2).jpg
Views:	397
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	334

Once you have marked them with a sharp pointed tool remove the covers and drill a series of holes close to the edges.

Name:	Done (3).jpg
Views:	359
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	335

Then simply "connect the dots" by cutting between the drilled holes. I used my a cutting wheel in my trusty dremel tool.

Name:	Done (4).jpg
Views:	424
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	336

The now just grind away anything that doesn't look like a big hole.
No really this stuff cuts real easy and I used a small sand paper "flap wheel" in my dremel tool. Then finished them off with my patented sandpaper wrapped around a pepper shaker to get them nice and smooth and beveled on the inside edge so you see less of the bumper when the covers are on.

"HOUSTON WE HAVE HOLES"

Name:	Done (7).jpg
Views:	413
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	339

Note my "Harry Potter" flying broom in the left side of the photo. Now that is a shiny wax job with Mothers gold carrnuba paste wax.

I Bought my bolts with nuts and the were YIKES $10.00 but they are stainless steel and shouldn't rust.

BUT they were way too long so I had to cut them off with the cutting wheel on my dremel then dress the ends on a grindstone. One tip if you have to cut a bolt put the nut on while cutting then spin it off when done. This straightens out any threads that got boogered while cutting. I put one bolt in from the back and added the cover, and nut then marked how short they should be.

Name:	Done (5).jpg
Views:	378
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	337

While cutting off the bolts the dremel with cutting wheel "kicked back" and I got a war wound.

Name:	Done (8).jpg
Views:	380
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	340

The clean up of old bumper cuttings.

Name:	Done (9).jpg
Views:	382
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	341

All and all an easy cheap DIY just the kind I like.

Last edited by claymore; 11-08-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Cleaned up my muffler a bit today. Turns out when I was walking up to the back of my car you can now see parts of the muffler on the top side that you couldn't see before and they had been neglected because they are a pain to get to and you couldn't see them. So got out my wax and rubbing compound and got the whole muffler looking shiny again.

It's really amazing that the repop Mugen twin loop muffler that I got for about $80.00 8 years ago still looks just about like new.

It has a couple spots that turned yellowish from the heat and compound won't get it removed so I will buy some Simicone polish that used to do the trick on my motorcycle pipes when I go to the states this year and clean them up.