Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > DIYs

DIYs place all DIYs here

Old 06-13-2016, 08:34 PM

bigsmitty is on a distinguished road
Default OE Spectrum Shocks

Hey all, just replaced my rear shocks with oespectrum, by Monroe. Reasonably easy procedure, thanks to those that listed the rear centre lift point. Wanted to mention that according to lordco (Canada) and the Monroe website the guarantee is limited lifetime and covers wearout for as long as I own the vehicle. Good price and seem very much comparable to factory. Be prepared to use lots of pb blaster/liquid wrench on the lower shock bolt...
Cheers and thanks to everyone for all the various pointers presented on this topic and others!
Old 06-14-2016, 06:37 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

That is great news to get. Some of us GD owners are getting to or passed the mileage where new shocks are going to be needed.

You are right about that bolt. It has to be right at the balance point of if it's going to break off or come out.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 PM

bigsmitty is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I was fairly freaked about the breaking prospects...I thought over the warranty and it makes fair sense for the company considering people probably turn their cars over on a fairly quick basis. I put on about 30000 kms per year so I hope it holds true. I find shocks are about 80-100 000 kms life give or take. I will probably do the quick strut pre-assembled for the fronts in a year or two. For the difference in price i like not monkeying around with spring compression, etc. I would mention that with the oespectrum replacements they lacked a top and bottom washer for the top mount. I noticed the difference because I compared the factory to the replacement. I suspected that over time the nut would simply work it's way through the rubber "bumper" so bought a couple large washers to duplicate the factory setup. Strange to me, but that's my take. Cheers, def one job I was glad I could do and save some fair bucks, plus I like taking care of the little beast myself almost entirely now...
Old 06-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

That is good thinking. I can't understand their thinking either unless they have developed some secret super dooper special rubber that we don't know about LOL.