Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > DIYs

DIYs place all DIYs here

Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

HA another victory for the "believers" over the "naysayers". While doing my routine maintenance I checked my "wrapped" in insulating tape header. And guess what the naysayers were wrong again. After 8 years of continuous use with the SAME WRAPPING my header is absolutely fine.

No rusting no thinning of the pipe no nothing. Just increased performance
Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default Decisions, decisions...

After installing my header, I was tempted to wrap mine as well. However, DC warns against it, stating that rust may result, and that doing so would void their warranty. Another issue, wrapping my Ceramic coated DC header might present a problem when getting it CARB'ed here in California. They won't be able to read the E.O. markings. Then again, if it is wrapped, they may not notice that I even have an aftermarket system. IDK.
OP, one perk to having wrapped your header/exhaust manifold might also be why your coilpacks have been failure free. I am thinking a lot of us with coilpack problems might have been due to how we installed our headers. I for one, elected not to reinstall the exhaust manifold "heat shield." On the day of installation, I was just too impatient to figure out a way to remount it with the new header in place, and too anxious to fire it up for a test drive.
Two coilpacks later (at $85 each) , I was thinking that wrapping that header might still be a good idea.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:09 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

That many be the case as I don't have the heat shield anymore too good thinking but it may also be I only have 38,000KM on the car not in the danger zone yet.

Yea I'm pretty sure the company said NOT to wrap ceramic coated ones. But the ceramic coated header should work as good as the wrapped one. And looks better.