Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > DIYs

DIYs place all DIYs here

Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default Wink Mirror Install...

As a result of replying to a FitFREAK post, I've gotten several PMs and email questions on how I mounted my Wink Mirror. Rather than answer 9 separate requests, I decided to just post a thread here for all to look at.
FYI, I've had Wink mirrors on all "my" cars ever since 1971. I first discovered the attributes of this mirror on my "modded" 1971 Mitsubishi Colt. I have since become "spoiled" to the amount of "awareness" that they offer. I have since installed them on all 5 of my cars. The installs are normally fairly easy. Here is how I did the install on the Fit.

You might wonder why I placed mine all the way to the right side of the car. (answer: I already know what I look like). Actually, this leaves the top left side open so that I can still see traffic lights.

To get the project going, I usually start by making the first mounting point on the right-most side. I secured an "L" shaped bracket under one of the visor mounting holes. Then I bolted that up to some appropriate metal hardware that I find at any hardware store. I use 2 pieces so that I can adjust the angle of view by sliding forward or backward.

Next, I mounted the center of the Wink to the OEM mirror mounting point. Take off the cover to locate 3 bolts. Fabricate a mount using some metal strap. Secure it under those 3 bolts.

Once I did that, I determined where that strap met the Wink mirror. I then drilled a hole through the top of the Wink, and secured the mirror to the fabricated strap. That takes care of the second mounting point.

Normally, for the third mounting point, I would brace the back of the Wink (using one the incorporated holes located on back of the Wink) to a "leg" pressed up against the windshield. Normally, that would complete the "tripod" effect necessary to alleviate mirror vibration. However, since I have an "eyebrow" windshield tint, I had to figure out a way to create a third mounting point that would not touch, i.e. "scar" my tint.
For this application, I merely stuffed some rolled up microfiber clothes into the gap between the mirror and the top of the windshield. This does three things. First, it dampens the vibration. Secondly, it helps block out sunlight from coming in between the mirror and the top of the windshield, and thirdly, now I have a place to store my microfiber clothes.
*(note that this mounting technique retains full use of the OEM visors).
Cheers,
-macbuddy-

Last edited by macbuddy; 10-29-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Nice job on the write up
Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM
manxman

I agree- nice job. (But I assume that you meant "microfiber cloths"?). You don't have a microfiber tuxedo from the Men's Wearhouse rolled up behind your mirror, do you?

Last edited by manxman; 10-30-2009 at 08:27 PM.