Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Brakes & Suspension

Brakes & Suspension Discuss suspension tech here, springs, suspension, camber kits, bushings etc...

Old 05-31-2011, 12:11 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default Strut tops have a space?

A guy has been posting this photo on every fit/Jazz site there is and asking if it is normal.

Anybody else have one this bad? I checked mine and it has some space but no where near this much space.

Anybody with a GE do yours have this space too?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:26 PM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough

Did this guy change struts? If so, he might have failed to reused the "Top Hats" from the original struts. I had the same problem when I installed my Megan Coilovers. Nowhere in the Megan "instructions" does it say to reuse those "Top Hats." I must have removed and replaced those struts at least a dozen times in hopes of eliminating that gap. Luckily Redrumm at the Freaky site was able to help me out.

The "Top Hat," or the part in question is that "UFO" looking thing that is pictured in the bottom right area of this photo:

Last edited by macbuddy; 05-31-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Is there any rubber that goes between the inside of the fender and the UFO. Or does the UFO show any signs of bending? I'm trying to figure out what would wear and cause the space to grow as I'm fairly sure when I got the car new there wasn't that much space.

And how the heck did you get those nuts removed? When I took off the pretty black thread caps you could see how they rusted to the stud. I have been PB blasting them for two days and tapping on them to help the PB get inside with no luck. Those bad boys don't seem to be going anywhere. I'm thinking of getting some new ones before I break down and cut those rotten things off by splitting them with my dremel tool.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 AM

Default Maybe this will help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
Is there any rubber that goes between the inside of the fender and the UFO. Or does the UFO show any signs of bending? I'm trying to figure out what would wear and cause the space to grow as I'm fairly sure when I got the car new there wasn't that much space.

And how the heck did you get those nuts removed? When I took off the pretty black thread caps you could see how they rusted to the stud. I have been PB blasting them for two days and tapping on them to help the PB get inside with no luck. Those bad boys don't seem to be going anywhere. I'm thinking of getting some new ones before I break down and cut those rotten things off by splitting them with my dremel tool.
DAMPER MOUNTING CUSHION
There is a robust fluted rubber cone, called the Damper Mounting Cushion, that slips over the "UFO" looking thing (Honda calls it an Upper Spring Seat). With that cone in place, the strut assembly slides up into the receptacle of the shock tower. That rubber cone facilitates in centering the strut into the correct position. As for the "UFO" bending, that won't happen. That rubber cone prevents that abuse.

From the Factory Service Manual:

GROWING SPACE
As for the growing space, maybe that cone is starting to weaken, and/or has compressed. I would try tightening up those rusty 12 x 1.25 mm nuts.

REMOVING THE RUSTY NUTS
If I recall correctly, I just used PB Blaster, a 12 mm deep reach socket, and an impact wrench. Prior to owning an impact wrench, I used to take a box end wrench and sharply tap the opposite end with a series of quick, light hammer taps.
If that didn't work, I would then try placing 2 additional 12 mm nuts near the tip of the damper shaft, torqued up against each another. Then use 2 wrenches against each another to break the stubborn nut loose. The tip of the OEM damper shaft has provisions for the use of a hex wrench. I did not have any luck using that feature, as the hex wrench would slip in place if any torque was applied to the hex wrench. My recommendation is, don't waste your time trying to use a hex key.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Yea that rubber part and the upper one is probably what it wearing out. I have been trying the taping on the nut trick so far nothing. It looks on my GD that one would have to remove the two sections of cowl to get at them with an impact wrench. When I can get to the dealer I think buying a new pair of nuts (don't even think that way) and splitting the old ones will be so much easier.

The price for the new rubber bumpers on top looks like about $10.00 and I might get some of them and fabricate some type of spacer rather than taking the chance of my axle popping out and having to round up or make a set of spring compressors to replace that bottom one.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Administrator

While washing my Jazz today found out why the nuts holding the top strut parts are all rusty. While I was wiping off the engine compartment just looked at the strut top wondering how I'm going to go about removing the stuck on nuts and I saw that the black rubber bumper has a depression in it so IT HOLDS WATER JUST LIKE A COFFEE CUP. The whole bottom half of the nut was UNDER WATER.

When I finally take mine apart to fix the excess space I'm sure going to modify the bumpers by drilling or cutting a hole to let water drain that's for sure.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Has anybody lowered the struts without disconnecting the bottom bolts. I going to replace the damper mounting cushion (C in the photo) to remove the excess space.

I'm wondering if one could just remove the upper nut and lower the strut while still connected on the bottom enough to slip a new cushion over the top of the strut without removing the bottom bolts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	strut.JPG
Views:	547
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	150 click to enlarge
Old 07-14-2011, 03:39 AM

John, I am almost positive that you will not have enough room to replace that part without removing the entire strut. Well, at least I couldn't figure out how to do so on my Fit. I don't think that lower arm will not drop down far enough.
Regardless, you will probably need to get an alignment after reinstalling the front dampers.