Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Brakes & Suspension

Brakes & Suspension Discuss suspension tech here, springs, suspension, camber kits, bushings etc...

Old 10-09-2011, 01:13 PM

skittle is on a distinguished road
Default sway bars

I have a few questions for those of you who have installed a rear sway bar on your GE8.

Does it help stabilize the car in crosswinds? It is windy in Nebraska. Real windy.

Does the sway bar change the geometry of the vehicle at all, specifically, does installation of a rear sway bar require the installation of a front sway bar...or a beefier front sway bar?

I have seen after market braces for stiffening the chassis. Does anyone know anything about those?

Thanks for all your information.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

First we need to know which (GD or GE) model Fit you have. The GE comes with one from the factory but the aftermarket ones add some handling improvements. The problem of being moved by the wind doesn't seem to be affected by the addition of a new swaybar.

I personally like braces and have a rear and front one installed and I can feel the difference as the majority of users do. But there are some people that think they are a waste but most of the doubters never had one on their cars to feel the difference.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:58 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittle View Post
I have a few questions for those of you who have installed a rear sway bar on your GE8.

Does it help stabilize the car in crosswinds? It is windy in Nebraska. Real windy.

Does the sway bar change the geometry of the vehicle at all, specifically, does installation of a rear sway bar require the installation of a front sway bar...or a beefier front sway bar?

I have seen after market braces for stiffening the chassis. Does anyone know anything about those?

Thanks for all your information.
I am guessing you have a GE8, I can only speak from a GD3 owner's standpoint.

A) Installation does help in crosswinds. Adding rear sway bars typically help reduce under-steering tendencies.

B) It is not necessary to install a front swaybar, although adding one might also make the car more stable in crosswinds. Adding a front swaybar will typically reduce over-steering tendencies.

C) I have no experience with braces other than assisting in a strut tower bar installation. The owner of the GD3 that I helped install it on said that he could immediately feel the difference in chassis stiffness.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM

Mine is a GE8 Sport but I've read so much about sway bars I thought I must be missing something. I may start with a rear sway bar and see how that works out before trying other modifications. The frame braces intrigue me.

Is there any degradation of the ride with addition of a sway bar?

Again, thanks for all the advice.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 PM

EXWRX is on a distinguished road

On the older car, the ride quality has a very slight degradation, but only when the bumps are only on 1 side of the car. I can't speak for the newer car. I know that I love the difference in handling with the sway bar, and the reduction in crosswind susceptibility.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Administrator

The only thing I could feel with the addition of a rear axle top brace and front strut brace is better cornering. Nothing detracting from the ride for me on my GD. Same should apply to your GE.

If I could get one here the next one I would go for is the bottom engine compartment one that connects the two "A" frames together.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:37 PM

The braces I saw (photos on the FitFreak site) were underneath the car. There were three: one connecting the rear of the A frames, one between the front and rear seat wells, and on slightly ahead of the rear wheels. I need to re-examine the photos as the underneath of my car doesn't look like the photos I saw. Maybe the photos were of the GD.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the feedback; time for more research.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Administrator

I would also look into the strut brace that goes in the engine compartment like this one from Greedy

It goes from the top of one strut to the other. There is another version that also connects to the firewall that might provide more support.

I have on in the rear also but right at the minute photobucket is down I will try to post a photo later.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Found a shot of the lower one I have that connects the front bolt of the "A" arms.

And the one in the hatch are connecting the top of the shocks.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:37 PM

Thanks for all the photos and the time it took you to post them. For the Greedy bar, did you have to remove part of the cowl? On mine I can't even see the strut towers for the cowl between the windshield and the hood.