Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Header & Exhaust

Header & Exhaust Exhaust discussion

Old 05-25-2009, 11:11 AM
manxman

Thumbs up Aero Turbine Exhaust for GE8 and GD3 Fits- GREAT Sound, Looks, and Performance

(These forums do not have an "Exhaust" section, so the "Engine" forum seemed to be the most appropriate place for this review. Mods- feel free to move it to a better section if there is one.

This is a FANTASTIC exhaust system for the 2009 Fit, and it will work even better on the '07-'08 GD3 Fits (they have more room and a straight-through exhuast that the GE8's don't have as stock).

This will be a LONG article, so I will begin with the basic facts. This is the website of the Stainless Steel, lifetime warranty, muffler that makes both horsepower, torque, and increases fuel economy. The scientific design of the muffler is fully explained in the web site.
http://www.aeroexhaust.com/

Like most manufacturers who sell through dealers as well as selling direct to retail customers, the highest price for Aero Turbine mufflers, resonators, and exhaust tips is charged by the manufacturer. You can get lower prices from their dealers. The retail price on my model # AT2525 muffler was $128.00 plus shipping from AT, but I bought it from an eBay dealer in Chicago-- cowboy183 . The owner's name is Steve, his price was $119.50, with FREE UPS Ground shipping (so he saved me at least $20.00 on the cost, and another $10. because no sales tax).. I also bought the Aero Turbine ST2535 Stainless Steel double-wall exhaust tip with a 2-1/2" inlet and 3-1/2" od outlet. I bought that from Voracious Motor Sports (PA) at a discount of about $8.00. Voracious Motor Sports is another AT dealer who stocks their mufflers and discounts the price, but cowboy183's prices are better, and his shipping is faster.

Although I installed this exhaust system on a 2009 Fit Sport, I will give info. that applies to '07-'08 Fits as well

This is the axle-back muffler system from the GE8 Fit Sport/Base. With the inlet pipe cut off, the muffler and tail pipe assembly weighs 8 1/2 pounds. The stock muffler is 12" long, 9" wide, and 7-1/2" high. The muffler actually has a triangular shape. The inlet pipe couples to the mid-pipe just in front of the rear axle beam.

This second system is the axle-back muffler from the '07 GD3 Fit Sport/Base. with the inlet pipe cut off, the muffler and tail pipe assy. weighs 9 1/2 pounds. The muffler alone is 12-1/2" long, 10" wide, and 7" high, and is made in an oval shape. The inlet pipe couples to the mid-pipe just behind the rear axle beam.

By comparison with the stock axle-back mufflers on the GD and GE Fits, the Aero Turbine stainless steel muffler weighs 5 pounds, is 6" in diameter (completely round in shape), 12" long, with a 4" inlet and 4" outlet pipe, with an overall length of 20". I meant to photograph the muffler, but forgot to do that before having it installed. However, the photos on the AT web site are true to life for the model 2525, and you will find the same photo being shown by their dealers cowboy183, and Voracious Motor Sports.

To have the Aero Turbine muffler and exhaust tip welded/fabricated and installed, I used a local Midas Car Care shop in Santa Cruz, CA. The shop manager is a Honda owner with four Hondas of his own (who is in the process of transplanting a built S2K engine into an Accord). This shop allowed me to watch their progress and give them my specifications on where to install all of the parts. Normal auto repair shop rates are at least $100.00 per hour- usually more than that.. But Midas shops usually charge a flat rate for muffler installation. The shop that I used only charged $98.00 for the work on my car, even though the job required 3 full hours of pipe bending, expanding, and welding.

This photo shows the installed 3-1/2" od AT2535, double-wall exhaust tip. It fits perfectly in the hollow of the rear bumper where the 3" exhaust finisher normally fits. Keep in mind that the stock piping for the 2009 GE8 as well as the '07-08 GD3s is 1-3/4" od.

This photo shows the 2-1/2" inlet side of the exhaust tip-

This image shows the exhaust coupler just in front of the rear axle beam where the axle-back muffler system is joined to the mid-pipe. The stock pipe is 1-3/4" od, but we used 2" piping, bent it to go over the axle, and welded it over the pipe and coupler that I cut off my '07 Fit muffler. I wanted to leave my '09 axle-back in stock condition in case I ever needed to use it again.

Here is an important comment for GE8 owners in California who are considering any EXHAUST MODIFICATION---
The shop manager told me that in the last month, he has had 3-4 customers with new cars, where he has installed modified exhaust, come back and asked to have the exhaust restored to stock. They had all received Tickets from the CHP and/or local law enforcement. These were NOT "fix it" tickets. They were not "show up in court" tickets. They received a fine in the mail of $260.00 and instructions to return the exhaust to stock condition, and a warning that a second infraction would result in a double fine. NO arbitration- no DB meter tests. Just a fine, period. ONE SIDE EFFECT OF A STATE THAT IS BROKE, AND HUNGRY FOR YOUR MONEY UNDER ANY EXCUSE. This sounds so extreme to me that I would tend to be doubtful, but the shop manager told me the story with the expectation that I would change my mind about the work that I had asked to be done. I didn't change my mind, but I did leave the stock exhaust in one piece, and made sure that the custom system could be easily removed with just a couple of bolts.

Well, these forums don't allow enough characters in posts for me to complete the review in one post. I will have to add the rest in a reply to my own post.

Last edited by manxman; 12-13-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: fixed a photo
Old 05-25-2009, 02:22 PM
manxman

I was going to give a LOT more detail, but if you have bought the right parts, all you have to do now is find a skilled exhaust system installer. The Midas Car Care shop that I used charged me only $98.00 flat rate, even though it took 3 hours to do the job with all of the tube bending, expanding, and welding.

Here are views of the entire system:

This is the 2" dia. inlet pipe expanded to 2-1/2" and welded into the muffler inlet pipe-

This image shows the baffles formed into the walls of the 2-1/2" id muffler bore. There is no packing like with a "glass pack". The baffles cause the hot exhaust to spin, and then to combine with cooler air at the muffler outlet. All mufflers work by slowing and cooling hot exhaust gas. The effect from the Aero Turbine also causes suction. That suction allows room in each cylinder for more air/fuel mixture, so more power is generated with the same amount of fuel. The muffler works on one of the same principles as exhaust headers. An exhaust system that generates suction is better at evacuating the combustion chambers of combustion byproducts during the exhaust stroke, leaving more room for fresh oxygenated air in the next intake stroke.

This was shot looking inside the muffler through the exhaust tip.

The sound of this system is amazingly deep. It actually rumbles like a V-8 when the auto trans shifts into fourth gear too early and starts to "lug". I HIGHLY recommend this system. Parts cost was about $150.00, and installation was about $100.00. MUCH cheaper than most bolt-on axle backs will cost when they actually come on the market for '09 Fits, and cheaper and more performance than axle-backs that are already available for GD3's.

Last edited by manxman; 05-26-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Nice write up Dave. Have you done any fuel mileage checks yet?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 AM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
Nice write up Dave. Have you done any fuel mileage checks yet?
Thanks John. No, I filled up just before the installation, and haven't had the need to drive much since then. But I will compare the next few tankfulls and their mileage to all of the previous records.

By comparison, on the Aero Turbine website, there is a testimonial written by a Corvette owner. He dynoed his new car to establish a baseline, then installed a complete Borla cat-back system and dynoed again. The hp gain was 17. Then he heard about the Aero Turbine product line, did some investigating, and tore out the Borla system and replaced all of it with the AT stuff.

The next dyno showed a gain of more than 50 hp! Obviously, I am not going to see such huge improvements, but I do not feel that the new exhaust has caused any loss of torque- probably some increase. At the very least, I think that the hamsters under my hood have just gotten a dose of steroids. Obviously, the above comments don't address the claimed increase in fuel economy, and with such a small engine, improvements are sure to be very small. Increased gas mileage was not my main reason for buying this system.

Oh, I just remembered- My AT dealer cowboy183 told me about another of his customers. This customer races a dragster with open headers- no mufflers at all. The area drag strip recently imposed a rule that all vehicles must have a muffler/mufflers because of new noise restrictions. The dragster owner used an Aero Turbine muffler on each header, and the car now makes more horsepower and torque, with faster ET's, than it did with open headers.

I will add to this thread as more info. comes in, but I am not in any rush. Will start calling San Jose, CA shops with DynoJet machines to check prices on dyno runs within the next few days.

Last edited by manxman; 05-27-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:55 PM
manxman

I sent cowboy183 (Steve) a link to this thread, and he replied that, with a minimum of four (4) people, he can do a special group buy price on the Aero Turbine 2525 muffler. Let me know if you are interested, and I will pursue the group buy with him.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:22 PM

EXWRX is on a distinguished road

It sounds interesting. We need to do a meetup and you can show it off. I should have my Enduratechs installed in a week or so, and then align the car and new tires, and it should handle wonderfully, and you can see how you like the ride.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:42 PM
manxman

Any time, anywhere Jeff. This exhaust is another mod that makes me grin when I'm driving.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM

EXWRX is on a distinguished road

Once I get my Enduratechs installed, we'll figure something out. Up near you would probably be fun. I wish you came to the AutoX last weekend. Ivan's CRX was a blast, but a Tool showed up. (forgot about that till just now)
Old 07-22-2009, 04:15 PM
manxman

It's OK that you forgot. Expecting me to enjoy TOOL's company, or even the mention of his name, is as unrealistic as expecting me to enjoy a swim in a sewer.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:30 PM

VillageIdiot is on a distinguished road

Has anything ever occurred in the way of a group buy??? I am wondering about the in cabin resonance at highway speeds.... Take into consideration that my car has M/T and turns at more revs than a Fit with A/T.... Is the sound something that doesn't wear you out on a 5 or 6 hour drive or should I also consider getting one of their resonators when I am able to get around to spending the money?