Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Header & Exhaust

Header & Exhaust Exhaust discussion

Old 12-13-2009, 03:08 PM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot View Post
Has anything ever occurred in the way of a group buy??? I am wondering about the in cabin resonance at highway speeds.... Take into consideration that my car has M/T and turns at more revs than a Fit with A/T.... Is the sound something that doesn't wear you out on a 5 or 6 hour drive or should I also consider getting one of their resonators when I am able to get around to spending the money?
First, the Ebay vendor who sold me the muffler offered a group buy, but you are the first to ask about it in the history of my thread.

In my personal experience, the exhaust sound at freeway speeds is very pleasant, and I actually enjoy it. Not loud enough to interfere with the stereo system at normal volumes, not loud enough to interfere with conversation.

With your supercharger and the manual trans., I would suggest that instead of mounting the muffler on a slight diagonal in the rear where the stock muffler used to be, a beter plan would be to cut out the stock resonator beneath the passenger floor, install the #2525 Aero Turbine muffler there with a concentric 2-1/2" X 1-3/4" reducer. Then run 2-1/2" Stainless Steel exhaust pipe, that is bent to conform to the geometry of the stock mid-pipe, and end the exhaust system with the Aero Turbine resonator, which will fit perfectly where the stock muffler was, and end it with the 2-1/2" X 3-1/2" double wall exhaust tip. It looks much better than, but to a cop, identical to the chintzy Honda Exhaust Finisher.

The Aero Turbine instructions say that for best power and fuel economy gains, you should have at least 1 foot of straight pipe before and after the muffler. That was not possible in putting my system in the rear, but should work very well as I described above. My suggestion will make your system sound even deeper than mine does, and I have not heard any other 4 cyl. engine as deep as mine on the road. It will also somewhat further reduce in-cabin noise levels.

My system pipe diameter was increased from the stock 1-3/4" to the 2-1/2" dia. of the muffler inlet right at the rear axle, so the muffler and tip act kind of like a megaphone. If your piping dia. is increased further forward, the noise out the rear should be reduced.

Make sure that you look up cowboy183, the Ebay vendor. If you can't find him for some reason, a slightly higher priced vendor is Voracious Motor Sports in PA. Aero Turbine Exhaust is in Salt Lake City, UT. Their own retail prices are higher than any of their dealers, and they are almost always out of stock on the smaller diameter exhaust parts, so you are better off with a dealer.

The material quality of this company's products is fantastic. All you need to find is a skilled exhaust system welder who likes, and is proud of, his work.

Last edited by manxman; 12-13-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:47 PM

VillageIdiot is on a distinguished road

Thanks for responding.... I had a 12" glass pack and 2 1/2" pipe from the axle back with a double wall extension put on at a muffler shop at 500 miles and replaced it with the stock system after doing too many miles on back roads at maximum speed and the glass pack becoming too loud, it did sound very rich and deep until I got crazy with it.... I am going to go all out, up the boost, change the injectors to larger size and have the ECU re flashed before I go all out on the exhaust or it will run too lean..... I can still do the axle back with the muffler and need to to get the top end back..... I must be getting old because I don't like the loud exhaust as much as I used to.... I plan to have a system that is gradually stepped up in size from the front to back to have a balance of power through the power band...
Old 12-13-2009, 04:20 PM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot View Post
Thanks for responding.... I had a 12" glass pack and 2 1/2" pipe from the axle back with a double wall extension put on at a muffler shop at 500 miles and replaced it with the stock system after doing too many miles on back roads at maximum speed and the glass pack becoming too loud, it did sound very rich and deep until I got crazy with it.... I am going to go all out, up the boost, change the injectors to larger size and have the ECU re flashed before I go all out on the exhaust or it will run too lean..... I can still do the axle back with the muffler and need to to get the top end back..... I must be getting old because I don't like the loud exhaust as much as I used to.... I plan to have a system that is gradually stepped up in size from the front to back to have a balance of power through the power band...
You will have a little bit of an advantage in installing this system in a GD that I did not have on the GE. There is more room between the axle and the rear bumper on a GD. You won't have to set the muffler on a diagonal as I did. The muffle will work fine as a straight axle back, with the muffler tip welded to the outlet muffler pipe, or with a very short extension between muffler and tip.

EDIT:

If you replace the stock resonator with the Aero Turbine res., you will get more power and better fuel savings, but I have to assume that you may also get more noise. A phone call to A.T. in Utah might give you some valuable advice, though they may not know any Fit-specific info. Their knowledge about small Hondas is pretty much limited to Civics- the tech. that I spoke to there has the AT stuff on his own Civic.

Last edited by manxman; 12-13-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 PM

The JKS is on a distinguished road

Hey Manxman, how's this exhaust working out for u? I'm pretty happy with my HKS but it prob. draws attention from cops even though it makes close to no noise...

2010 TW Fit Sports
Add-ons in order:
1. OEM window visors
2. 15% 3M window tinting all around
3. Denso IK 22 spark plugs
4. PRM intake
5. Mugen front grill
6. HKS Hi-power exhaust
Old 05-06-2010, 09:31 AM
manxman

I am still very happy with the Aero Turbine. Cops can't see it, the S.S. exhaust tip is only a little bigger in diameter than the stock tip, and I really like the sound. Dollar for dollar, this system is a bargain compared to most on the market.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

It's one of those "Stealth" mods that work but can't be seen.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:36 AM

VillageIdiot is on a distinguished road

It is time for me to be getting on with getting hooked up with one of these.... The changes to the exhaust system that have been made to accommodate the the KWSC High boost upgrade aren't allowing enough flow and the car sounds some what like a full tilt road race machine as it is reaching the 7000 + rpm shift points or when lifting off of the throttle entering a curve with rapid pops accompanied by flames from the exhaust tip.... I am going to have to got to a 2 1/4 B pipe and place the muffler in the place where the resonator is mounted on the stock pipe per Manxman's suggestion I think.... The little car is a real hoot to drive now but it needs to be quieter to not attract unwanted attention.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM
manxman

Dee,
With the extra noise that you are trying to reduce, I would suggest that you also buy one of the Aero Turbine resonators, and weld that where the stock muffler would normally be mounted. In my system, I left the stock resonator under the front passenger seat, with the Aero Turbine replacing the stock muffler. I would not want my system to be any louder than it is. I am betting that your engine mods will wind up producing too much noise with the Aero Turbine muffler all by itself. They make several different sizes and styles of resonators.

As an alternative, you could use their one-piece combined muffler and resonator (you can get the dimensions on their web site). The combo would also fit where the stock resonator is now. And be sure to buy from my referral vendor on Ebay- you will save quite a bit from the price direct from Aero Turbine Exhaust.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:08 PM

gordonjj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxman View Post
I am still very happy with the Aero Turbine. Cops can't see it, the S.S. exhaust tip is only a little bigger in diameter than the stock tip, and I really like the sound. Dollar for dollar, this system is a bargain compared to most on the market.
Lucky if the cops can't see them. I hope the sound don't attract them either.

Last edited by gordonjj; 07-14-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 PM

wileynote is on a distinguished road
Default other options?

My bro says a borla catback,Im going with the a borla exhaust systems

Last edited by wileynote; 08-09-2010 at 11:22 AM.