Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Electrical

Electrical Electrical, Audio, Lighting, ECU, Code Trouble Shooting etc.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 PM

vfr_rdr68 is on a distinguished road
Default USB Drive MP3 Playing

Hey all,

I might have missed this somewhere but checked in this section as well as Interior Section.

According to the manual you can download songs onto a USB Drive & be able to play them by plugging the drive into the USB cable. Has anyone tried this? What format do the songs need to be in to do thi?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr_rdr68 View Post
Hey all,

I might have missed this somewhere but checked in this section as well as Interior Section.

According to the manual you can download songs onto a USB Drive & be able to play them by plugging the drive into the USB cable. Has anyone tried this? What format do the songs need to be in to do thi?
I hate to send you to the children's playpen, but you will probably find your answer on a competitive site- I just bought a few flash drives for another purpose, but will try one of them in my Fit too. Anyway, go to www.fitfreak.net
I have seen several discussions in the "Ice" forum concerning flash drive formatting. If you get good info., please let us know what you found.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:21 PM

VillageIdiot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have seen several discussions in the "Ice" forum concerning flash drive formatting. If you get good info., please let us know what you found.
Please simplify your explanation so an idiot can understand what you are talking about.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:50 PM
manxman

Boy, Dee, if other people insulted you they way that you do, I would delete their posts, and get them banned!

But to the point, I have been using an MP3 player for the last few years, and use the "Rhapsody" MP3 sales and archiving program/web site to buy and store my music. My player is an 8-gig "Iriver Clix". When I buy new music, I import it into my Rhapsody library. Then I connect the USB cable to my player, and to the computer, and on the Rhapsody home page, I drag and drop the music onto the MP3 player icon. The music downloads into the player, and I play it through a 1/8" stereo cord plugged into the player and the Aux. port on the Fit's stereo.

What I will try soon is to plug a flash drive into the computer's USB port, and see if the Rhapsody program recognizes the drive as a destination to transfer data (songs) from the library. I assume that this will work easily. What I don't know is, when I plug the flash drive into the USB cable in the Fit, will the songs play according to input from the stereo's controls? At the present, I change songs with the controls on my MP3 player. I am hoping that the stereo controls will allow me to switch from track to track, or fast forward and reverse, between the library on the flash drive.

I will try to find time to experiment tomorrow. Will add to this post any info. that I find out. BTW, I bought a 3-pack of HP brand 4 gig. flash drives for $29.99 from the Costco web site. The exact same deal at the same price is also on Amazon.com. Reviews of the HP drives were very good. There are much higher capacity drives available- I have seen 160 gig. flash drives, but the prices are pretty high for the larger flash drives. If finding your way around the contents of a flash drive is difficult using the Fit stereo controls, it would be better to have less memory than to have more on the drive.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:42 AM

Village - What I was asking was pretty much spelled out by Manx - according to the manual you are able to play mp3's from a USB Drive by pluggung it in directly into the USB connector in the glove box. I was just curious if there was a specific format (Apple has a diff format than the rest) that the music files need to be saved as.

TIA & thanks for clarifying Manx
Old 02-25-2010, 09:08 AM
manxman

vfr, and VI----

I just opened my Rhapsody program, plugged a 4 gig. USB flash drive into my computer, and dragged/dropped 3 complete albums onto the flash drive. Will see how it works in the car in a few minutes- will add results here.

EDIT:

"If at first you don't succeed, read the manual (RTFM)"

I plugged the flash drive in, pushed the CD button, and nothing at all happened. Flash drives play through the disc circuit. Then I found this in the owner's manual:

"Only AAC format files recorded with iTunes are playable on this audio unit". Also, manual recommends drives with 256 Mbyte memory or higher.

So, my entire MP3 library will not play because the data is the wrong format, and not recorded from iTunes. I wonder how much Apple had to pay Honda to get this exclusive arrangement with the Fit audio system!!

As long as you use iTunes and the AAC format to collect your music, your system should work with a flash drive. But-- I vaguely remember reading some fitfreak posts complaining that the stereo controls don't work the same for flash drives as they do for a connected Ipod- no track info is displayed on the screen with flash drives as it is with Ipods.

I'm glad that this issue came up. I was watching Ipod prices with the idea of buying one, and "transferring" my MP3 library to it so that I could keep the Ipod in the glove box, out of sight, and use the stereo control to play it, instead of keeping my present MP3 player Velcroed to my sun viisor and clicking its controls to change the music tracks. The info. here just saved me the cost of an Ipod, because obviously I can't use it to play the recorded stuff in my library. Aand, apparently I can't even re-record my CD's onto iTunes and transfer them that way.

Dave

Last edited by manxman; 02-25-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Dave,

Thanks for all the work and your findings. At the end of your post you say you've given up on an ipod b/c your music library is incompatible. I know this has been an issue with itunes/ipods in that you're unable to convert from the AAC format into another. However I thought you were able to go from another format into AAC format by dragging those files into ITunes.

Another option, although not the favored one, if you still have your actual CD's, you are still in luck. All you need to do is download Itunes - free of charge even w/o owning an IPod - and re-record your CD's with the ITunes program open.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:33 PM
manxman

Thanks a lot for your info!! I had deleted iTunes from my computer a long time ago because I never thought that I would eve use it, except for the rare Podcast install instructions from various Honda dealers regarding installing accessory parts (like the JDM arm rest/console for the GD3). I decided earlier, after posting my flash drive info., to reinstall iTunes so I could explore it to see if I could do what you just said that I could. Thanks for letting me know. I will now fill my spare time by recording 20 year's worth of CD's onto iTunes, and transfer those to two 4 gig. flash drives.

Oh wait. I still don't know how well the flash drive data will work with the Fit audio system. I will try just one CD transfer throgh iTunes onto the flash drive for a test. If it works, then I will repeat all of the labor to get the CD's re-recorded- again

I don't know how I would transfer recordings from the Rhapsody program into the iTunes program, bur I will explore that.

Thank you for this latest info., and for your original question. I had been meaning to try the flash drive media storage/play back for the last couple of years.

Dave

Last edited by manxman; 02-25-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:39 PM

VillageIdiot is on a distinguished road

My problem is that I am not familiar with the terminology so I really don't understand any of this stuff. I wish my wife's 15year old granddaughter lived closer because she would understand this stuff.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:00 PM
manxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot View Post
My problem is that I am not familiar with the terminology so I really don't understand any of this stuff. I wish my wife's 15year old granddaughter lived closer because she would understand this stuff.
Just tell us what term you don't understand, and we can at least give you both a definition, and links to visit for more info. The "flash drive" that we have been talking about is also called a "thumb drive"- about 1/2" wide X 1/4" thick X 2" long. One end has a male USB connection, that plugs into a USB port on your computer. It works like a miniature hard drive for data storage- MP3 music files in this particular case. It can also be used to store photos, or any other kind of data.

Flash drives are very cheap compared to other types of stand alone hard drives. These are today's version of the now obsolete "Floppy Discs" of a decade ago, used usually as temporary storage of info. that is recorded from one computer, then transferred to another computer just by plugging the flash drive into each computer.

Another example: I just bought a new Blu Ray DVD player because the player that I got for free from Amazon when I bought a HDTV was not upgradable. Blu Ray DVD movies will continually change in format as movie producers make use of improvements to the Blu Ray disc format. I bought an early release copy of Inglorious Basterds, and it would not play at all on the Blu Ray player that was the freebie from Amazon. The new player is from Samsung and is upgradable. If a disc in the future won't play, I will go to the Samsung site, plug a blank flash drive into my computer, and download a "DVD Player Firmware Upgrade", record it onto the flash drive, then plug the flash drive into the USB port on the back of the DVD player. The upgrade info will record onto the DVD player, and the player now has the latest programming to match the newest DVD movies.

So, just ask when you get lost. I may not have your answer, but someone here will. And age is no excuse- I am older than you, and I don't have a granddaughter.

Last edited by manxman; 02-25-2010 at 01:02 PM.