Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Electrical

Electrical Electrical, Audio, Lighting, ECU, Code Trouble Shooting etc.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:36 PM
manxman

FYI for anybody--

I didn't know this when I copied my entire CD collection, through my computer, onto the Rhapsody web site/music store/archive, and then transferred that library onto my MP3 player, but apparently in downloading iTunes back into my computer, the reinstallation automatically transferred that library of over 1,000 tracks into iTunes too.

Now, as a rookie user of the iTunes program, I find that I can convert those music files to the AAC format required to play them on the Fit audio system, but I have not been able to get the reformatted files to record properly on a flash drive and play in my Fit.

I will keep fighting with it and post if I have any success, and pass along the methods that worked if any of them actually do.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:11 PM

Bohemian is on a distinguished road

Old thread I guess, but it is misleading. No need for iTunes or AAC. Just use a FAT32 formatted USB stick and WMA or MP3 (no copy protection) files and all is good.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:15 PM

sooznd is on a distinguished road

this may have already been solved--but you can download .mp3, .mp4 or .wma (windows media) files onto a flash drive. WMA takes up more space, so you can fit many more mp3 or mp4 formatted songs onto the flash drive.

I tunes drove me crazy, too. I had a Zune player which I really liked much better--easier to download songs. My son insisted I get an ipod, so now I bought a 16gb nano--personally I think its a lot easier & cheaper to get a flash drive--it sounds the same in the car. You can copy your cd files to you computer, then copy those files onto the flash drive. Stick the flash drive in the the usb connector and the Fit knows what to do!

Now if only I could figure out how to play my albums in my Fit......
Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 AM

vfr_rdr68 is on a distinguished road
Default re: USB Drive MP3 Playing

Thanks for the info Bohemian - I copied my itunes files onto a USB and was able to play it that way, unfortunately many of the songs I downloaded are "protected" and will not play in this manner.

Or I guess I can stop being so lazy and buy a male/male connector for my ipod and plug into the Aux jack.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Blackbeard is on a distinguished road
Default But...

Back to the original question...has anyone successfully used a non-Apple Flashdrive and connected it to the USB adapter and had it work? I have used various flashdrive MP3 players, and my current favorite brand is Samsung, but my Samsung MP3 player was not recognized by the Fit. I do not want to put ITunes on my Windows computers ever again and will just burn multiple MP3 discs to listen to instead of using ITunes.

Thanks,
Keith S. :{)>
Old 07-06-2010, 03:00 PM

any flash drive will work beautifully--does not nbeed to be apple formatted- you can have songs in mp3, mp4 or windows media format. However I could not get my my Zune or a Sony MP3 player to work when connected to the usb. Only the Ipod will work there.

Last edited by sooznd; 07-06-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Unhappy So you are telling me...

That the only way to connect to the USB port is with an Apple product which can only be loaded with Apple software?

I realize I can connect a cord to the aux-in and run my songs from the MP3 player, but I was hoping there was a Windows product that would connect to the USB port so I could keep it hidden and move between songs with the radio controls.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:23 PM

No- with a Flash Drive--it is neither apple or windows product, you do not need an mp3 player at all.
You can navigate between songs using the radio controls with a flash/thumb drive. Copy you music files from your computer to the flash drive.
I guess I don't fully understand your question. You cannot use any other brand mp3 player ( i.e Sandisk, Sony, Zune, etc) other than Ipod, but you can use any flash drive.

Last edited by sooznd; 07-06-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks Susan,

Sorry for being dense...my MP3 players also function as flash drives, that is why I was confused. I guess the MP3 software messes up the connection.

I will get a plain flash drive and load some songs onto it. What size works best for the Fit? If it is too big it might be a pain to find songs, etc. I would probably rather have two smaller units that I could switch out rather than a larger unit that I would leave hooked up and not change.

Any tips for naming song titles, adding MP3 tags etc for the Fit?

Thanks,
Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 PM

gotcha--Sorry I never even thought of using an mp3 player as a flash drive.
I have a 4gb flash drive that works well. I would think a larger one would work, too.
You can jump from folder to folder and from song to song.
I named my folders with the artist name and then list the titles of the songs.

Real easy to edit on a computer.

My files are in both .mp3 format and some songs are in .m4a (those were copied from I tunes I think) I had a Zune and then copied a friends ipod collection onto my zune--the files have been translated several times, but now they are out of itune format. I have no idea how I did this, though.