Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Electrical

Electrical Electrical, Audio, Lighting, ECU, Code Trouble Shooting etc.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 PM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default Stuck in 4th gear...BLITZ TC?

While "charging" up a freeway on-ramp, "paddling" my way to redline, my Fit threw a CEL. I abruptly found myself stuck in 4th. I was panicked, puzzled and pissed! The paddles failed to work, and the cruise buttons were frozen. I even tried manually shifting into neutral and back several times. The car was definitely stuck in gear, and I was yet 20 miles from home. After assessing the situation, I decided to go ahead and "limp" it home in 4th gear, at 65 mph, spinning at 3,500 rpm.
When I finally got to my exit, I then discovered that the Fit would not downshift! It "jerked" and "clanked" to a halt, where I waited for the light to change. Luckily the engine continued to idle. When the stoplight turned green, I "jerkily" left the light in what felt like 3rd or maybe 4th gear. All six drivers behind me, prolly thought it was the first time I had ever driven a car, as I ever so slowly gathered up speed. Heck, I wasn't worried about them, I was just happy that I was able to make it home.
Once I was in my driveway, I shut it down, waited a few, then fired it back up. Hmm, the ECU must have reset. Everything seemed back to normal, although the CEL stayed lit. A quick series of button jabs, and the Scangauge showed me that a P2138 code had been thrown. P2138 alludes to an "Accelerator Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance" concern. Once I was convinced that my Fit was healthy again, I proceeded to clear that CEL (also with the help of the Scangauge).

To my relief, I have been driving trouble free ever since!

Having told you that, I need to also mention that I have since removed my "glitchy" BLITZ Throttle Controller. My BLITZ TC has been acting up for over 3 months now. I have been bracing myself for something like this to happen. The symtoms were sporatic at first, but became more frequent with time. My unit had a habit of turning "off" and "on" by itself, usually at the most inopportune times. Sometimes, it would shut down while I was passing, which made timing of such maneuvers difficult. Then at other times it would produce an occasional episode of "sudden acceleration." I guess kinda like what a Toyota might do. To say the least, it was a bit daunting. It's a good thing that our cars only have 109 hp! Imagine what the outcome might have been had I been in the cockpit of a 520 hp GTR!

-macbuddy-

Last edited by macbuddy; 09-21-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: inadvertently typed P21378 instead of P2138
Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 PM
manxman

Wow! That all really sounds unpleasant, and dangerous. Did you try to contact the fitfreak member BlitzUSA (Mike- the group buy seller from whom you bought your controller?). It probably won't help though- as I recall, the warranty was a huge 90 days or something. You might PM SlimJim- he bought my Blitz after my wreck of the GD. He would be very interested in all of your experiences as the T/C went through the failure process.

I think, if you can afford it (low price anyway), the NTD from twpanson would be less likely to fail, at least in the same manner. And Panson would stand behind his product, regardless of warranty (I will bet, but can't guarantee it).
Old 04-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Whoa that sucks. Any possibility of the connections getting dirty or corroded? Anybody else having problems?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:42 AM

Slimjimx701x is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Slimjimx701x Send a message via MSN to Slimjimx701x

On my end, I only have the P21378 code. I have never been stuck in any gear or have the "Toyota jump" as of yet.

Since the then, I just kept the TC unplug
Old 04-26-2010, 09:32 PM

twpanson is on a distinguished road

Let me know if there is anything I can help.

Panson
Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 AM

twpanson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by twpanson View Post
Let me know if there is anything I can help.

Panson
I don't know if the harness is the same. I can send you a refurbished one to test if you like.

Panson
Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 PM

Hey Panson,
Thanks for the offer, but I am pretty sure the harnesses are different. If I don't get this Blitz figured out, I may have to pick up an NTD from
you in the future.
Thanks,
-macbuddy-
Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 PM

The JKS is on a distinguished road

I know this is almost a month old but did u figure out the problem yet? I had this same problem with my Z4 after adding a throttle controller... The Z4 went into the "limp mode" and stayed in 4th gear until I manually reset my ECU with my laptop. Long story short, I had to reprogram my ECU from a tuning shop to work better with the throttle controller. No offence to throttle controller makers, but some models need to be researched a little more before they start to sell them

2010 TW Fit Sports
Add-ons in order:
1. OEM window visors
2. 15% 3M window tinting all around
3. Denso IK 22 spark plugs
4. PRM intake
5. Mugen front grill
6. HKS Hi-power exhaust
Old 05-20-2010, 03:12 AM

JKS,
Wow, that's scary knowing that someone else has experienced such a similar event. So, I am not the only one that has experienced a "Possessed" throttle controller.
To answer your question, I haven't tried figuring out the Blitz ever since disconnecting it. I immediately pulled the TC from my Fit as soon as I learned that it could turn on by itself. I just wanted it out of service ASAP! I didn't want to take a chance on having it do a "Toyota" to me.
Hopefully, I can work on it this summer, when I have some spare time. I'm a little busy right now with work, and family obligations.
I am hoping that the problem is just a loose connection, or wire. I noticed that when the unit was failing, I could often get it working again by jiggling the head unit wiring. I am guessing that the wiring inside that display unit is shorting.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:52 PM

The JKS is on a distinguished road

I ended up hard wiring mine to back of the OBD2 because I need to use the port and use the throttle controller at the same time. Does urs have 7 modes? Mine worked fine in mode 1 ~ 4 (3 being normal) but as soon as I switch to 5 ~ 7, it threw a code and then went straight to the limp mode. My Z4 had a SMG tranny and it was pain because it acted like an automatic tranny as soon as the limp mode kicked in... We found out that the TC I had opens the throttle body "too quick" so the ECU was freaking out. We reprogram the ECU and deleted the throttle manage section so that it doesn't see how fast the throttle body opens. I hope it's just ur unit or the wires and u don't have to go thru all these troubles... Long story short, it was a $1k fix to use s darn $200 TC unit... But u know what? I really liked the result and made my Z4 0.5 quicker in 1/4 miles.

2010 TW Fit Sports
Add-ons in order:
1. OEM window visors
2. 15% 3M window tinting all around
3. Denso IK 22 spark plugs
4. PRM intake
5. Mugen front grill
6. HKS Hi-power exhaust