Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Brakes & Suspension

Brakes & Suspension Discuss suspension tech here, springs, suspension, camber kits, bushings etc...

Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 PM

RUNBIKERUN is on a distinguished road
Default Should I have my Rotors turned or Replace them?

Hey, I have an 09 Sport. I bought some oem brake pads but I need to replace or turn the rotors. Any recomendations? I am leaning towards just replacing the rotors with oem models but has anyone used duralast rotors?
edit... I have 42k on the original rotors.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

42K isn't too bad for a set and your rotors SHOULD have plenty of wear left in them unless you are into twisty running for fun. If you have measuring devices you could check them first the specs are new 21.0 mm (0.83 in.) and lowest useable 19.0 mm (0.75 in.)

But I have just replaced the pads and not bothered turning the rotors IF they have not been causing pulsing.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:59 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default ...pulsing brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNBIKERUN View Post
...I need to replace or turn the rotors...
Why do you feel that you need to replace or turn the rotors? Are they pulsing?

For my first ~40,000 miles of ownership, I lived with pulsating brakes. It was especially noticeable when slowly rolling to a stop. I guess I just got used to it. It wasn't until I let mrFroge drive my car, that I discovered that I could easily fix this problem. He told me that the rotors on my car were most likely "glazed." He recommended that I either scuff the rotors with fine emery cloth to remove the glaze, or just install his old set of race worn Hawk HP+ brake pads. He felt that the Hawks were abrasive enough that they would scrub the rotors for me. Since he had just replaced a new set of HP+ pads on his H-Stock Fit, he gave me his used set (they still had an 1/8th of an inch of material left on them).
Sure enough, the pulsation immediately went away, and as a bonus, I inherited some awesome brake pads. BTW, these pads have tremendous initial bite! Once you've used them, you will prolly get addicted to them.
One thing that I wasn't aware of was that there was a break in procedure that needed to be performed to correctly "bed in" the pads.

Go to this page, and click on the "Bed in Instructions"

With any luck, this idea might help your symptoms as well.
-macbuddy-

BTW-I am at 135K on my original rotors

Last edited by macbuddy; 04-28-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:36 AM

RUNBIKERUN is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. My brakes started to make some occasional grinding noises. The pads weren't to bad but the rotors were definitely ground in on both sides. The lip that was left on the outer edge of the rotor on both sides seems to be where the grinding is coming from. I was tempted to just file that lip off the rotor but if 19mm is the usable width for rotors I'll just replace them.