Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Anything wheel or tire related post here.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road
Default New lug nuts for 69 cents

Got done working today the the Mrs. came in the house demanding loudly "how much did you pay for the new lugnuts?"

I just laughed and told her 69 cents. Went to the "junk drawer" and held up a permanent magic marker and said this was 69 cents and laughed.

She said "I don't believe it" so I took her outside to the car and said go ahead take a look. While she was standing she said "I don't see anything different" so I told her to squat down and take a close look. She finally looked real close and said "unbelievable"

The lightweight aluminum lugnuts were one of my very first mods 5 years ago and they have been removed and replaced over twenty times so the part of the nut the hits the inside of the lug wrench was worn down to silver and they looked old.

So the light bulb in my head came on and I thought about painting them but I tried that on one of my prior cars and the paint chipped out in the same area so what was I to do.

Then I saw a magic marker in the junk drawer while looking for something else and I thought why not.

Cleaned one with thinner because they have been waxed every time they came off (yea I know I'm over board with cleaning and waxing and I even clean and wax the INSIDE of my wheels ).

I then tried the magic marker and it looked great and won't chip off and touch up is easy just use a magic marker.

They look great if you use the marker in one direction when applying. You can't tell from standing up and looking at them you have to squat down and get real close then you can see that it is magic marker. But somebody walking by can't even tell that they have been done with magic marker.

And the best part is the color comes right off with some thinner on a rag so if you don't like the color or want to change the color it's easy to do.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:57 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough

...pictures?
Old 04-28-2012, 01:47 AM
Administrator

Yea I got a little busy yesterday here they are

Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
Views:	382
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	214 click to enlarge

Name:	006 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
Views:	384
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	212

Name:	004 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
Views:	373
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	213
Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 AM

Default Looking good!

How did I know the color was gonna be blue?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Administrator

I'm still looking for some VPB markers so they will match my car like they did when they were new.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:27 AM

claymore,
Are your center caps OEM? Mine look more like this one...

Old 04-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Yep that is similar to the original ones on mine. The outer edges of the plastic decal started lifting from the cap after maybe one year so I started looking for a replacement.

Saw that the Honda City sold here had the same size and had an actual chrome separate logo and the cap itself was silver painted.

The logo came off with a little grinding on the back of the posts that hold them to the cap and I removed the logos and painted the cap with some metallic black spray paint (see not EVERYTHING is blue) to make the chrome logos stand out a bit better and put the logos back on with some super glue.

It's been probably 4 or 5 years since I put them on and they still look great.

Name:	caps.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	215 click to enlarge

I HAD a nice DIY on making them but when stupid VILLAGEPHOTOS went out of business without giving members any notice or a chance to save their photos hosted there the photos were lost forever.

I would start looking at other Honda model wheels in the USA and see if any have raised chrome logos but I do not know which ones you have over there.

If I remember correctly they were either $9.00 each or $9.00 for 4 I forget which.

Last edited by claymore; 04-29-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Administrator

So after 7 months and one rainy season I decided it was time to refresh my magic maker job on my lug nuts. Strange but the ones on the left side had more marker rubbed off than the right side and the fronts looked better than the rears. But they still look better than the worn off anodizing.

This time was even easier as there was still a lot of the marker left on them so it was a very simple job to add some more. And they came out even better as the maker left over turned a darker shade with the fresh coating.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Administrator

So after 7 months and one rainy season I decided it was time to refresh my magic maker job on my lug nuts. Strange but the ones on the left side had more marker rubbed off than the right side and the fronts looked better than the rears. But they still look better than the worn off anodizing.

This time was even easier as there was still a lot of the marker left on them so it was a very simple job to add some more. And they came out even better as the maker left over turned a darker shade with the fresh coating.