Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Anything wheel or tire related post here.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:18 PM

skittle is on a distinguished road
Default avid ascends

So, I've been wrestling with a replacement tire for my 09 Sport, and finally went with the avid ascend in the 185/55/16 size after reading about people who went to 205/50/16 taking a 2-3 mpg hit. In the week they've been on, I can report they are much quieter than the Bridgestones the car came with, and they don't turn to rock when the temperature dips below 70.

The tires are low rolling resistance, so I'm interested if there will be any increase in mileage though I'm also experimenting with 91 octane gas which may skew any results. The car does seem to idle at stop lights more smoothly than with 87 octane, but the smoother idling could be my imagination. Doing some highway driving for Mother's Day which will tell me how stable the Avids are in cross winds.

That's all the news that's fit to print.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Good keep us up to date as I'm thinking about replacing my Goodyears. They still have plenty of tread left but they are 8 years old.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:33 PM

skittle is on a distinguished road

After my 230 mile trip, I can safely say the Avids are considerably more quiet. I had the stereo on 10 and 11 and could hear it perfectly. Usually on the highway, and Nebraska two lanes are notoriously rough, the stereo would be set at 18 or higher so I could hear it.

The tires don't transfer as much vibration, either, though that may be the fact there is tread on the tires. Grip-wise, the jury is still out. I need to play on exit/entrance ramps to assess that.

On this trip, I averaged 44.4 mpg, which is better than usual on this particular trip. Usually around 40 mpg. I drove between 60-65 mph, and I was conscious of accelerating gradually. The wind was particularly lax as well. Usually I can count on a 20-30 mph crosswind, and this trip the wind, according the the weather casters, was about 10 mph. I don't know if the tires contributed to the increase or the fact I'm using 91 octane instead of 87.

This is probably more information than most people are interested in.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Sounds good. I used to have a goodyear shop right up the road from my house and planned to go there as they gave me a good price. Drove by yesterday and it's no longer goodyear now it is selling yokahams (or how ever you spell it)
Old 05-21-2013, 08:28 PM

mkane is on a distinguished road

Stereo on 10. 25 or higher here when driving alone.