Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > The Lounge > Doesn't Fit???

Doesn't Fit??? Off Topic Discussion, anything that doesn't Fit!

Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 AM

Waldo is on a distinguished road
Default Gas Mileage Discussions

I purchased a Honda Fit for one of many reasons, but one was because it offered some pretty good fuel mileage. I replaced my 1998 Chevrolet Metro which gave 47-52 mpg. So I looked around here and didn't see a topic discussing fuel mileage and figured that I'd start one.

I drive pretty conservatively. Not quite grandpa speed, but I certainly won't be getting any speeding tickets. My daily commute consist of a 56 mile round trip from home to work, and back home. I travel rural state highways ranging from 45-55 mph.

I just filled my Fit up for the 4th time since it was new and was VERY surprised when I calculated 40.77 mpg . . . 358 miles on 8.78 gallon.

Needless to say . . . I'm totally happy with my Fit ! ! !
All time best mpg was on a 200 mile trip at 65-70 mph which I managed to squeeze out 51.6 mpg
Old 12-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

That is real good mileage for a not yet broken in Fit.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:28 AM

This cold weather is really doing a number to my fuel mileage. It was 31F when I left the house this morning. On my 28 mile trip to work I only averaged 37.8 mpg on the calibrated ScanGauge.
Now if I can only figure out how to connect my warm air intake to my Fit !
All time best mpg was on a 200 mile trip at 65-70 mph which I managed to squeeze out 51.6 mpg
Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Administrator

May not help the problem is different formulation in fuel delivered in colder weather. It changes the atomization rate because it doesn't atomize as well in colder weather so when it gets a bit warmer it is still atomizing at a faster rate so you use more fuel.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:40 AM

I had a warm air intake on my Chevrolet Metro . . . It helped to improve the fuel mileage by 5-8% during the winter months as tested and proven with the ScanGauge.

While it is true that you don't get that "summer" fuel mileage, it does help. One way to look at it . . . take anything that improves "performance", and do the opposite to improve "fuel mileage"

I would have never thought that it would have made much improvement until a friend who drives a Honda Insight showed me. Cooler air is more dense, allowing more oxygen per given volume, allows for more performance. Warmer air is less dense, with less oxygen per given volume. Since our engines volume is constant, the computer adjust the fuel mixture for proper burn ratio. You would think that it would be a wash, but I've tried it, and it absolutely works. It also helps to bring the engine up to operating temperature a little faster because of the warm air entering the engine.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:02 AM

I'm a little late posting this, but a few weeks ago I was traveling from Denham Springs, LA (Near Baton Rouge) to Houston, TX. I had plenty of time to get to where I was going, so I was in no big hurry. I filled up in Denham Springs and reset the Trip Odometer. Pulled onto the interstate a ran the Fit up to a comfortable cruise speed of 67 mph. It was a cool Sunday evening, so there was no need for the Air Conditioning System. After just a few miles I gradually caught up to a big rig who was driving 65. I tucked in behind him, staying 2-1/2 to 3 car lengths behind him (that's my story anyway). The Avg Miles Per Gallon was steadily increasing from 38, to 43, to 48. I was freaking out as I have never seen or heard of such mpg's from a Fit. Long story short, the big rig eventually exiting the freeway, but I quickly found another rig driving 70 mph, so I tucked in behind him. At 132 miles into the trip the Fit was averaging 51.6 MPG on the odometer. Now before you call me a liar, I do realize the odometer on my Fit reports about 1.6-1.8 mpg higher than actual. So even so, I'll have to say that the stock Fit is capable of 50 mpg under the near perfect conditions.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Administrator

That is awesome mileage. I too got my best ever mileage in the cool rain so I was driving slower than ever about 65 mph with the air turned off.

But it doesn't happen often because the days I don't really need air here can probably be counted on one hand. I'm sitting here at 1030 pm and it's still 90 f. outside
Old 04-30-2014, 12:38 PM

The Fit sure made up for it on the way home a week later, lol
It was hot and I was driving 75-80 . . . 38 mpg

:-/