Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Anything wheel or tire related post here.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:35 AM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default Got my Toyo T1R 195/45R-15s mounted today...

Got a call from Tom this morning, my Toyos arrived! I can't believe he was able to get them for me. Whenever I mentioned Toyos, nobody else in my area would even talk to me. Lucky for me, Tom is a real import car enthusiast. Within 15 minutes on the computer and phone, he located a set for me. Then he gave me a quote that I couldn't refuse!

Today, I walked in with a digital scale and a clipboard. Tom was awesome, he gave me permission to walk into the service bay to record my findings. I knew that I was getting in the way, however the service tech was cool. He even took the time to help me weigh whatever I wanted to record.

Here is what I found:
25.7 lbs...RPF1 mounted with 195/50R-15 Yokohama S. Drives (with 61,000 miles wear)
25.2 lbs...RPF1 mounted with 195/45R-15 Toyo T1Rs (brand new)
16.0 lbs...unmounted 195/50R-15 Yokohama S. Drives (with 61,000 miles wear)
15.7 lbs...unmounted 195/45R-15 Toyo T1Rs (brand new)

Noteworthy info:
*Wow, over the years, the Yokos lost 3 lbs per tire! That's 1 lb per 20,000 miles! Brand new 195/50R-15 Yokohama S. Drives weigh 19 lbs.
*If I weigh all 4 wheel/tires, they only weigh 100.8 lbs!
*RPM @ 70 mph was 2785 with the old set (I expected to see less RPMs than the new set, since this tire is 0.7" larger in diameter)
*RPM @ 70 mph is 2770 with the new set? (WTF? I guess the 61K made the old tire diameter smaller than the brand new set)
*In comparing the Toyos and the Yokos, they both ride very well, and both run equally as quiet. In my short 30 mile drive back home, I haven't had a chance to test the handling as of yet. So far, I do get the sensation that they are "soft and sticky." I hope these last at least 40,000.

The shop offered to fill the set with Nitrogen for $10 extra. I insisted on good ole regular FREE air! The Tech proceeded to shoot 32 psi into each corner. At 32 psi /32 psi, the front feels good, however the rear end could ride a bit softer. I'll have to do some experimenting with the pressures to find a happy medium between good handling and keeping Mrs. Mac happy.

This is how I am going to start my quest. According to Honda, the weight distribution of my GD3 is 63.2% front, and 36.8% rear. If I assume the Fit and I weigh about 2800 lbs., then the weight distribution should look like:

2800 lbs. X 63.2% = 1770 lbs. (front weight), or 885 lbs. per tire
2800 lbs. X 36.8% = 1030 lbs. (rear weight), or 515 lbs. per tire

So, if I calculate the minimum psi for my Toyo tires using the indicated max capacity rating of 937lbs/tire @ 44 psi...then my tires could theoretically be set at the following pressures.

so...
885 lbs. 937 lbs/tire@44 psi = 94.5% per front tire
515 lbs. 937 lbs/tire@44 psi = 55.0% per rear tire

then...
44 psi X 94.5% = 42 psi for front tires
44 psi X 55.0% = 24 psi for rear tires

Hopefully, I am figuring this out correctly. If so, then the rear end should rotate better, and it will ride a lot softer! I used this formula to figure out the starting point for my last set of Yokohama S. Drives, and I was able to get 61K out of those tires, make it handle nicely, and keep Mrs. Mac smiling!

Last edited by macbuddy; 03-12-2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: added picture, corrected my math
Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Good deal but don't forget if you go that high on the fronts they will spin much easier and have less of a footprint for cornering.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 PM

Default I am still liking these tires so far...

Ah, good advice Claymore! I think I'll start off with 28psi/24psi, and go from there.
This morning, I went on an 80 mile trip with the tires still set at 32psi/32psi. During this all freeway drive, I felt that the front tire pressure was passable. However, the rear end could definitely lose a few pounds.
I found the steering to be a bit touchy. Hmm, that sounded negative. Maybe I should rephrase that, "I found the steering to be a bit more responsive." On a couple of occasions, I inadvertently tweaked the steering wheel, and the front end jiggled a bit. This wasn't necessarily a dangerous characteristic, however you won't want to be spilling a hot cup of coffee on your lap before getting used to the responsiveness of these tires. I am going to bet that the lower aspect ratio of these tires has something to do with this. I am also used to 8 psi less pressure up front.
I am going to go out to the garage right now, and adjust the tire pressures. I have a nice 104 mile commute through the foothills tomorrow, and I don't want to waste all those curves with the car set up as it is right now.
I can't wait to see how these new shoes handle!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:28 AM
Administrator

For sure the shorter sidewalls make for better turning response.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 PM

Default Toyo T1R Update at 1,500+ miles...

I haven't been able to test these tires on the "twisties" just yet. The roads through the Foothills have been cold and wet the past week. I guess what I can say is that they do seem to work well in the rain. No hydroplaning so far.
The one day that it was dry, I was stuck following a slow moving truck, hauling bottled water up to the businesses along SR 4. That was probably a good thing, cuz my radar detector went off just as we crested a blind left-hand turn. It seems that there is always Highway Patrol on that road!
Although I've only been on this particular set of tires for 1500+ miles, I can definitely tell you that I would recommend it for it's low noise, smooth ride, high grip and quick response. I am enjoying these as much as my Yokohama S. Drives. Heck, I might go so far as to say that I am even liking these T1Rs a bit better. If these Toyos wear as well as the Yokos, I might have a new favorite tire. However, I don't know just yet. I can only refer back to my experience with my first set of "used" T1Rs, which was a good experience. That set seemed to wear well and evenly, and regardless of the fact that they were "used," I was still able to get 18,000+ miles out of that "used" set!
I am scheduled to head back up those hills again this week. Hopefully I'll have a clear road to enjoy my new tires for which they were designed!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Gotta watch out for those sneaky police officers
Old 03-12-2013, 02:17 AM

Default 195/45R15 Toyo T1R update...

It's been almost a year now, and my T1Rs are ready to be replaced. This set lasted just over 31,000 miles. Actually, they still have more tread on them, but the noise is starting to get annoying. I called to get a fresh set, but was surprised to learn that 195/45R15 T1Rs were impossible to find. The shop that I deal with in Stockton did some creative networking, and eventually found a set for me. He told me that I'd have to wait a couple of weeks for them, because his tire Rep located the set in a warehouse on the East coast.
I told Tom how much appreciated his search efforts, and that I really liked these tires. Tom added that I should be happy to know that the pricing was going to be the same as last year, and that there will be no extra charge for shipping. He finished his call, noting that I should use this set "gently", as this is the "last remaining set of 195/45R15 Toyo T1Rs left on the Planet!" Toyo is no longer making this tire, and has yet to announce a new tire to replace the T1R.
I was both happy and sad to hear that last bit of news.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Golden tires. Better hoard them.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:39 AM

mkane is on a distinguished road

Any auto x outings on these tires? Using star spec's at the moment. The Toyo's are softer @ 140twr, but the Dunlops are designed to heat up fast and are the chosen auto x cross tire for lightweight cars. Opinions?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 PM

I have only run with Toyos on the rear, while running a set of Kumho V710s up front. The T1Rs held well, as the 30twr, V710s surprisingly pushed on some of the turns the last time out. I was wondering if I might have done better with the Toyos all around. The more experienced drivers, suggested that I try less psi up front next time.
Anyway, I chose to go with the T1Rs again because they work well as a DD tire. They have a lot of grip, run quiet, ride comfortably, and were reasonably priced. Too bad the don't wear all that well.
As for the new "Killer Tire" for lightweight cars in AutoX, I was told to look at BFG's new 195/50-15 g-Force Rival:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....5GFR&tab=Specs
I was looking at the available, 195/50-15 just a few days ago. However, it looks like all of Tirerack's supply has been snapped up already. I don't see the 195s listed at the moment.