Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Anything wheel or tire related post here.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 PM

AC7880 is on a distinguished road
Default US spec Fit Sport Gen 2 Speedo Errors? (tire size related)

I have a US spec 2012 Fit Sport with auto trans on order. A quick question: Has anyone checked the speedometer reading versus gps on the Sport auto trans? Is there any speedo error compared to gps true speed reading at 60 - 65 mph?

Reason I ask is I might try and see if Discount Tire 2 miles from the dealership where I am buying the Fit will sell me upgraded tires at a steep discount in return for the effectively brand new stock Dunlop 7000s with 2 street miles on them, plus the approx 10 miles that will be on the odometer.

If I can cut a deal like that, I "might" pick the tire size to match speedo to true speed verified by GPS.

For example tire sizes gives these results:
185/55/16 = 65 mph 24.2" diam (stock tires - Dunlop SP7000)
195/50/16 = 64.09 mph 23.7" diam (to bring a high speedo reading down)
195/55/16 = 66.17 mph 24.4" diam (to take a low speedo reading up)
205/50/16 = 65.1 mph 24.1" diam (break even on speedo)

I want an accurate speedo and odometer, but better tires with still decent mpg. The 195s are a little lighter, and the slightly smaller contact patch vs 205 might give another mpg or so in gas mileage (vs 205 not stock). Any of those non stock tire sizes have tires available that would be a handling upgrade over stock Dunlop 7000s.

Tires considering are: Kumho Ecsta 4X, General GMAX AS-03, and Conti Extreme contact DWS in that order. If I see any snow at all it will be a light dusting, but do sometimes encounter mud and sand.

I'm leaning towards the 195/50/16 Kumho Ecsta 4X as the best compromise in handling/weight/mpg (depending upon factory speedo error, if any).

The car I am trading in is a 2005 Subaru WRX Wagon manual trans with Cobb Sway Bars, Michelin Pilot Sport tires, uppipe, down pipe, and ecu programmed, 71,500 miles. I need an auto trans due to left ankle injury, so am giving up the manual trans, awd, and horsepower, but want decent handling on the Fit.

I'll stay with stock ride height, stock rims, stock springs on the Fit. Will do a rear sway bar (progress) later.

Any feed back on US spec gen 2 auto trans Sport model speedo reading vs gps true speed reading? I'm guessing it's close to spot on with Honda engineering?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-06-2012, 02:42 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Yep most people report very close NOW. There was a patch to the software to correct a faster than should be odometer problem and people bitched about get less than full coverage out of their warranties because the mileage was put on faster than it should have been ( very minute amount) so Honda had a fix. Check the freak site there is a big thread about it.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 PM

Picked up the 2012 Sport Fit auto trans today. The speedometer is dead on matched to GPS speed at 50,55, 60, 65 and 70 with stock Dunlop SP 7000 185/55/16 tires.

Edit: I checked the odometer as well - very close GPS miles versus odometer miles. Speedo AND odometer are accurate on US spec 2012 Fit Sport with 5 speed auto.

Dan

Last edited by AC7880; 07-14-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Administrator

That's how it should be ... good news.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:15 AM

David is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
Picked up the 2012 Sport Fit auto trans today. The speedometer is dead on matched to GPS speed at 50,55, 60, 65 and 70 with stock Dunlop SP 7000 185/55/16 tires.

Dan
Hi AC7880, I bought the exact same car on June 8th, color red. I like my new Fit very much except for one thing, road noise. Do you think your Fit has more road noise than it should?
Also, if you did not get wheel locks you should. When I got my Fit it didn't have them but after reading about theft of wheels I called my salesman two weeks after I've had my car and explained my worry. To my surprise he said bring it over and they put them on no charge.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 PM

At cruising speeds (low load/lower rpm) the Fit with stock Dunlop SP7000 tires is quieter than my 2005 Subaru WRX with Cobb catted downpipe, catless up pipe and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires was. Accelerating when you get into the VTEC range on the engine, the Fit is somewhat louder than the WRX was under turbo load.

I bumped the Dunlop tire pressure F/R to 35 psi cold, and will try that for a while.

At highway speeds tires will make all the difference on road noise with the Fit. When tire replacement comes around, you'll need to prioritize what you want in a tire - handling performance, comfortable ride, noise/quiet, longevity, and MPG.

I've been researching tires, and here are my thoughts:

In stock 185/55/16, I think the Yokohama Ascend will be quiet, high total wear mileage, and high mpg, but not "great" handling. If I was buying stock sized tires now this would be my choice.

In 205/50/16 (correct upsize with correct speedometer/odometer reading):

Kumho Ecsta 4X for great handling but more road noise, and less comfortable than stock tires.

Yokohama Avid Envigor a good mix of handling performance, comfortable ride, quiet, longevity, and MPG (not as good handling as the Kumho 4X).

Yokohama YK580 (DiscountTire exclusive) similar to the Envigor, with a bit better handling and longevity of wear. Kumho 4X probably better in handling though.

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 (205/50/16) - similar to the stock size Yoko Ascend for mpg, quiet, and comfort, and similar in softer handling performance.

If I was switching tires right now I would lean towards the 205/50/16 Yokohama YK580 as an all around tire. I'm no longer heavily performance oriented as I was when younger, when I would have chosen the Kumho 4X for handling.

Edit: I did add the wheel locks as well. And some of the best reviews of tires for road noise and mpg/longevity besides Tire Rack is the Prius forums. The Prius guys are REALLY into Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires, and they comment on road noise, longevity, and handling as well.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hi AC7880, I bought the exact same car on June 8th, color red. I like my new Fit very much except for one thing, road noise. Do you think your Fit has more road noise than it should?
Also, if you did not get wheel locks you should. When I got my Fit it didn't have them but after reading about theft of wheels I called my salesman two weeks after I've had my car and explained my worry. To my surprise he said bring it over and they put them on no charge.

Last edited by AC7880; 07-14-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 PM

David is on a distinguished road

I think my tires are dunlops. I actually wonder if it is only the tires making the noise. I've never had a car with so much road noise. It's kind of making me wonder if I did the right thing by buying this Fit.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:28 PM

David,

Check the sidewall on your Fit tires and verify they are Dunlop SP7000 185/55/16.

What car and model were you driving before this one? Do you know what tires were on the last car? Was it quiet enough?

Is the noise when accelerating hard (engine noise), or when cruising at a steady speed and steady lower RPM like 2500-4000 rpm (road/tire noise)?

If it is road noise and is really bothering you, you have two choices and both will cost you some money.

One is to trade in the Fit at a loss for a quieter car. The other, if you like everything else about the Fit and want to keep it, is to "try" quieter running tires and/or add sound deadening to the Fit.

Let me know about the tires on the Fit, and what your last car was, and if you know, what tires were on the last car.

I'll try to put together some links for you on tires and sound deadening.

Dan
Old 07-14-2012, 09:10 PM

David,
I'm not sure of your location, but I recommend at the following links you only consider all season tires if you decide to replace the Dunlop SP7000 tires.

Stock sized tires on tire rack - with reviews which include consumer rating on noise: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...55&diameter=16

One set of consumer ratings for noise comfort on tires with Dunlop SP7000 middle of the pack (only high performance -- just one category of many):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS
Notice the Yokohama Avid Envigor high on the chart.

This is a new tire in stock size - not many reviews or surveys yet - but should be quiet, high mileage durability, and high mpg: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....es&tab=Reviews

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/avid_ascend
vs Yokohama Envigor (also a quiet tire): http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/consumer/
And Yokohama YK580 (only at Discount tire): http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/yk580

Read the Prius forum review on the Ascend: http://priuschat.com/threads/yokoham...review.105546/
Quiet tire.

You might stop by your closest Discount tire and see if they will give you a trade in allowance on your almost new Dunlops. Best bet is the Yokohama Ascend in 185/55/16, or the Yokohama YK580 in 205/50/16.

Also Continental Extreme Contact DWS 205/50/16: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true

Bridgestone Ecopia 422 205/50/16: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true

Check prices on Tire Rack with delivery, vs Discount Tire. Discount Tire "should" price match Tire rack delivered pricing if you ask them to.

Edit: Sound deadening - lot's of work and adds weight to the car. You would "probably" want it under the carpeting, in the door panels, spare tire well, firewall or dash. One link to think about it: http://www.raamaudio.com/ How to: http://www.raamaudio.com/pages/How%252dTo.html

Last edited by AC7880; 07-14-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Some good work there AC7880 nice to have somebody around that does their homework.